PDA

View Full Version : [other] From eeeXubuntu to XP Pro

mrsrandallthomas
April 26th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Check this out:

I haven't had this ASUS Eee PC long, maybe a month. So I try the Xandros thing but want more.

I get a DVD burner from the new big box store down the street (Use it and return it) and install eeeXubuntu.

While the thing was updating the other day, I lost my internet connect breaking the update. Screwed the machine up. So back to the box store to get the DVD burner again. (This makes 3 times.)

A little background:

A year or so ago I try going to college online but the funding falls through. But they sent out a package ahead of time so that I could be ready to go when the money kicked in.

In the package is CD's: Windows XP, Windows XP Professional, the entire Microsoft Office Suite, and Outlook. All with the product keys.

So, when it's time to set this thing up again I thought "why not?", let's try XP.

The XP CD doesn't work. It's 64 bit so it's not working with this ASUS Eee PC.

However, the XP Pro disk does work, so I go for it. I now have XP Pro with Service Pack 2. Registered and all.

Just thought some of you ASUS Eee PC users would be interested.

NOTE: In association with installing eeeXubuntu I downloaded the free InfraRecorder to make a boot able CD.

I used that same program to create the DVD used to install Windows XP Pro. Using the original CD wouldn't work so I tried installing like I did eeeXubuntu, except instead of getting the download from online, I took it from the original CD.

In fact I created the ISO file using nLite, also a free download.