PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] After removing gnome-panel from sessions nautilus does not draw desktop

err_ok
April 26th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Ok just fresh-installed Hardy Heron. I got compiz and awn working perfectly... the annoying boot-up delay is gone (my reason for switching) and the problems begin.

After removing gnome-panel from sessions and then clicking save the programs i have open on reboot nautilus does not draw my desktop anymore.

Also because of this cannot open many programs including firefox/gnome-terminal from the terminal unless i have root privileges.

When i run gnome-session-properties i get;

could not connect to the session manager

Not really sure what's going on, any help would be brilliant i have reports to write :)

sanus|art
April 26th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Can you run the ALT-F2? If yes than just type gnome-panel in it and press run. Not sure if it'll help though.

Anyway what is the reason for removing it?

err_ok
April 26th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Can you run the ALT-F2? If yes than just type gnome-panel in it and press run. Not sure if it'll help though.

Anyway what is the reason for removing it?

I didn't want a gnome-panel.... ;)

I can't run anything as the user including any of the shortcut commands (alt+f2 etc...)

Running gnome-panel as root didn't really do it... Running nautilus as root got the desktop back.. but not the users and it doesn't help on restart.

bribri124
April 26th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Alt+F2 will probably not work for you since you do not have a panel. I do not have any panels because I have no need for them. It does sound like more than just gnome-panel was removed.

Also because of this cannot open many programs including firefox/gnome-terminal from the terminal unless i have root privileges.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it does sound like you can access a terminal. If you can do this while logged in, you should be able to enter 'gnome-panel' and restore back to your desktop until we find the cause for your problem.

err_ok
April 26th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I can get a terminal thanks to the awn terminal applet, that's what i used to open firefox.

However gnome-panel will not open and it doesn't say anything in the terminal either it just hangs...

sanus|art
April 26th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Try to type

gnome-at-visual -sin terminal, maybe the visual assistant gone too.