PDA

View Full Version : Dist upgrade still not the same as fresh install.

rajeev1204
April 26th, 2008, 09:08 AM
hi all

As the title says it,i have been using hardy since alpha 6 and it isnt yet as good as a fresh install.(i guess it never may be)

But i think the devs had that blueprint for hardy and future releases.

For example, i cant get fspot to run on my dist upgraded version,but runs fine from live cd or fresh install.

Your views and experiences please :)

regards

rajeev

rudihawk
April 26th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Well I did a fresh install from Hardy to Gutsy. Ive always been a little sceptical of the whole "upgrade" thing... I think it just creates more opputunities for things to break.

I havent ever used the upgrade option, but I do feel that a fresh install will almost always be better, provided you back all your data up. Fresh install is clean and shiny and fast.

misfitpierce
April 26th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I upgraded and everything runs and works 100%. Even flash and all codecs. So far 0 problems. Very happy with Hardy.

rajeev1204
April 26th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I upgraded and everything runs and works 100%. Even flash and all codecs. So far 0 problems. Very happy with Hardy.

hi

Thanks for your comments.

Iam also happy with hardy .I think its their best ever.Only saying that a fresh install is still better than dist upgrade.

Like rudihawk said, fresh install is shiny and clean.:)

regards

rajeev

misfitpierce
April 26th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I agree that a fresh install may be the way to go especially if planning to stay LTS for the 3 years. If you are upgrading every 6 months then Upgrade may do you just fine for several upgrades with no problems. I've upgraded my current install on laptop since 7.04 I think. Laptop working fine and has not slowed down at all. But yes fresh install will always be better in sense that its squeaky clean just not always necessary.

matthew
April 26th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Part of this depends on how you respond to the "keep your possibly customized configuration file" questions during a dist-upgrade. I always have the new, default ones overwrite mine, make a note of which ones they are, and take a look later to see if I need to redo any customizations.

I have some boxes that have been upgraded several times and which are indistinguishable from a fresh install. Your mileage may vary...just adding a data point and thought to the conversation. :)

samjh
April 26th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I did fresh installs for 6.10-7.04 and 7.04-7.10, but for Hardy I did a dist-upgrade.

Everything is working as expected, even though my 7.10 installation was heavily customised.