PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how do you upgade from gutsy to hardy with cd

dtdave
April 26th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Hi, I downloaded the iso for the desktop cd, and the alternate cd, and booted from them and where the heck is the upgrade selection, I see now where on the boot screen to upgrade, how do I do it, I wasnt going to do the update through gutsy on the desktop where bandwidth was slow to do it that way, please let me know I am anxious to get on hardy!! Thanks!

Bubba64
April 26th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Have your CD in when you turn the computer on. You have to install through BIOS when you start your computer you will see it say hit f12 to bring up bios then have it check the CD to see if it is ok then hit install you can let the program automatically set your partitions or do it manually stay with the install it will ask you for a name and a password, and keep an eye on it. The install needs to be watched as well it may at times ask you to keep older programs or accept new ones, I chose new ones but you might look around for info on this.

Belak
April 26th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I don't agree with this post.

First, insert the Alternate install CD when you have booted up Gutsy

Next, a dialog should come up asking you if you want to upgrade. Say yes and then synaptic should open. Click reload and then when that's all done, click mark all upgrades then apply.

That should do it. You may still have to do a few tweaks though.
Cheers,
Belak

Bubba64
April 26th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I don't agree with this post.

First, insert the Alternate install CD when you have booted up Gutsy

Next, a dialog should come up asking you if you want to upgrade. Say yes and then synaptic should open. Click reload and then when that's all done, click mark all upgrades then apply.

That should do it. You may still have to do a few tweaks though.
Cheers,
Belak

You want to be able to check the CD for continuity I assume this method has a way of doing that. If you do it this way are you actually using the CD to install or to point to Hardy repositories. I am just curious I have used the method I describe without any problems, and found this method on the forums.

mathenge
April 26th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I would agree with Belak. I think the Desktop CD is for a new install. I haven't seen an option for upgrading when you boot from the CD.

You need the "alternate" CD in order to upgrade an existing system.

Bubba64
April 26th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I would agree with Belak. I think the Desktop CD is for a new install. I haven't seen an option for upgrading when you boot from the CD.

You need the "alternate" CD in order to upgrade an existing system.

I neglected to mention I installed with the alternative ISO. I did read a post earlier that described the same process I will find it and post it.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=767067
the seventh post is the description, as I read it again it seems like it is how you describe the live CD install. In the end what matters is what is the ram on the posters computer 256 or less is the alternative install

Belak
April 26th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I neglected to mention I installed with the alternative ISO. I did read a post earlier that described the same process I will find it and post it.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=767067
the seventh post is the description
But that will compleetly drstroy all your dada, won't it? I didn't think it was a true update

Edit:
I haven't had a chance to check out the New Alternate CD since beta, so there might be an Upgrade option... I'm not sure

Bubba64
April 26th, 2008, 07:54 AM
But that will compleetly drstroy all your dada, won't it? I didn't think it was a true update

Yes I was going to update my original post with that info, but you were so quick on the draw that I was concerned that I had given wrong info, which I did by not mentioning the ram amount the data loss and the use of the alternative CD. It is good though to have people notice what is suggested and comment.

linuxd00
April 26th, 2008, 07:55 AM
maybe this hälps:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4797562#post4797562

Belak
April 26th, 2008, 08:01 AM
maybe this hälps:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4797562#post4797562
I'll agree with this post.

At least the commenting out part. You can also uncheck everything but the CD in Synaptic if you want a GUI way.