PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox 3 - Segmentation Fault

geeree
April 26th, 2008, 06:01 AM
I upgraded to Hardy at last, after a 20-hours download. Many features are nice but I am having an irritating problem with Firefox 3: it crashes very frequently with a "Segmentation fault" error message. I am not yet sure how to reproduce this but it happened when I tried to open Gmail (problem with AJAX?) and then it happened again when I tried to open Ars Technica (problem with AJAX? or with Flash?).

What could be going on? Is there any way I can cure this?

Thanks,
Girish.

geeree
April 26th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I discovered that the problem is not with the Firefox 3(b5) but in general with Firefox on Hardy. I tried using Firefox 2 (2.0.0.3) and got the same "Segmentation fault" message. Maybe this is a bug in hardy?

Girish.

geeree
April 26th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Update: The problem is not with Firefox. Epiphany gave me the same segmentation fault. Let's see how deeper this goes!

Girish.

moliones
April 26th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Epiphany uses the Gecko engine, like Firefox does, so it might be an issue with that.

geeree
April 26th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Epiphany uses the Gecko engine, like Firefox does, so it might be an issue with that.

Thanks for the reply. But I concluded the trouble was with the Flash plugin: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=768151

Girish.