PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Upgrade vs clean install: If I clean install, are ANY of my settings/apps on / ?

sharris203
April 26th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I know my settings are in the /home folder (I have it on a separate partition too). I upgraded to hardy, but might do a clean install soon.

My question is, how much more work will I have to do to get my system back to how it was before the re-install? i.e. will i need to go into add/remove programs and check boxes again?

Use synaptic to re-download non-default packages I've collected? Are ANY programs/settings installed on root partition that I need to backup/save that I would lose by clean installing?

Or should I just backup my installed packages list, reinstall, then simply re-download the packages again? what about my sources.list, and settings in the /etc folder?

james4001
April 26th, 2008, 04:53 AM
I would also like to ask this same question. I am currently running an up to date hardy (since beta) so i know i have the LTS version. Would it be better to just stay how i am or dl and fresh install from a cd? If i copied my home folder then restored the contents after install i would still have to install all my extra programs and settings? Thanks in advance,

James

Bubba64
April 26th, 2008, 05:48 AM
I would also like to ask this same question. I am currently running an up to date hardy (since beta) so i know i have the LTS version. Would it be better to just stay how i am or dl and fresh install from a cd? If i copied my home folder then restored the contents after install i would still have to install all my extra programs and settings? Thanks in advance,

James

As far as I have read if your up to date with your upgrade reinstalling would be a waste of time reinstalling what you already have. You would also unless you dual boot lose any extras you have installed. The second boot wouldn't have the extras, but if you want to do a reinstall due it with a dual boot and add your extras to the 2nd and delete the 1st with gparted by repartitioning. Also any add ons from FF 2 that aren't working in FF3 can be enabled if they are there from the original upgrade with nightly tester tools in add ons.

patond
April 26th, 2008, 08:51 AM
My question is: I have a dual boot system with Win XP and Ubuntu 7.04. I want to install Hardy Heron. Can I do a clean install of HH without having to reinstall WinXP? If so, how? Many thanks.

HunterThomson
April 26th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I have a /home partition. I lost all my programs but that was it. My wallpaper was the same, widows borders and all were the same, saved games were there, Firefox settings were the same and the first time I ran firefox it re-downloaded all the FF add-nos.

NO you will not have to reinstall XP

HunterThomson
April 26th, 2008, 09:02 AM
JUST MAKE SURE YOU USE THE SAME USER NAME AND PASSWORD... to be safe use the same computer name and all