PDA

View Full Version : well, i made it

chucky chuckaluck
April 26th, 2008, 03:18 AM
only took two installations and 8 bass ales. not bad. went with xfs for reasons i don't recall. my laptop is now annoyingly* fast.

*it drums its fingers waiting for me. ok, hal, i'm coming! (gotta run.)

finferflu
April 26th, 2008, 08:18 AM
LOL! See? It wasn't that difficult after all :D
Welcome aboard.

Barrucadu
April 26th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Setting it up the first time isn't that hard, now comes the compulsive tinkering!

MisfitI38
April 26th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Welcome home!

chucky chuckaluck
April 26th, 2008, 03:54 PM
you're right, finf, it wasn't that hard. in fact, i feel like i was a little bit sandbagged into thinking it was going to be harder. there are, of course, things to be done. i haven't installed X yet (not in a real hurry to do so, though). i want to get going in the console first before i start adding the 'vegas strip' stuff.

so far, i feel like i've entered a new level of people saying stuff i don't understand. the way i figure it, the less i understand of what they're saying now, the more i'll know when i do understand them. it's not often we 'all knowing beings' get to learn something new. i am, once again, a shivering fawn in the clearing of brazen anticipation.

Barrucadu
April 26th, 2008, 04:20 PM
i am, once again, a shivering fawn in the clearing of brazen anticipation.

Ooh, I like that. I may have to use it some time :)

chucky chuckaluck
April 26th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Ooh, I like that. I may have to use it some time :)

it's kind of borrowed from bohumil hrabal. i should have put it in quotes, but i don't think it's accurate enough to have done so.

will1911a1
April 26th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Welcome to Arch. :D

ynnhoj
April 27th, 2008, 01:52 AM
i haven't installed X yet (not in a real hurry to do so, though). i want to get going in the console first before i start adding the 'vegas strip' stuff.
do you know how to use gnu screen? if not, this would be a good opportunity to learn! it's only a pacman --sync screen away.

also, since you've used tiling window managers, you might be interested in dvtm (http://www.brain-dump.org/projects/dvtm/). there is a pkgbuild (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=14182) in the aur.

chucky chuckaluck
April 27th, 2008, 05:25 AM
screen is the second thing i installed. i love screen. haven't had much luck in solving the C-a W toggle to 132, though. sounds like it can't be done without giving oneself a colostomy. i've now installed X, xmonad, opera, gimp, feh, mc, mplayer, streamripper and tcdr. it looks like i'm pretty much done.

thanks for all the welcomes. i've tried two other distros (sabayon and sidux) besides ubuntu, but i'm here to stay with arch. it's all i want and nothing more.

finferflu
April 27th, 2008, 10:58 AM
it's all i want and nothing more.

That's why Arch is also called the Last Stopô :KS

bonzodog
April 28th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Yeah, welcome to arch. I finally felt at home with this, and have no regrets.

handy
April 28th, 2008, 03:02 PM
That's why Arch is also called the Last Stopô :KS

I like that...

That is how it feels to me at the moment.

But anything can happen tomorrow! ;-)