PDA

View Full Version : Where did all the old (veteran) forum members go?

kevdog
April 26th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Ok, its clearly my perspective, but it seems ever since the forum switch over, a lot of the old forum members seem to be a lot more disengaged. Its a shame really.

Old forum members, please let me know you are still around!!

Thanks, I'll be listening.

LaRoza
April 26th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Ok, its clearly my perspective, but it seems ever since the forum switch over, a lot of the old forum members seem to be a lot more disengaged. Its a shame really.

Thanks, I'll be listening.

By "old" do you mean long time members, or physically old?

I have not noticed this, although I have noticed a surge in new users.

kevdog
April 26th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Long time members -- I like new members but many flame out with time. I hope they don't, but look -- thats reality.

LaRoza
April 26th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Long time members -- I like new members but many flame out with time. I hope they don't, but look -- thats reality.

I don't like new members. They overload the servers and slow everything down...

blastus
April 26th, 2008, 02:28 AM
August 2005 right here. :)

kevdog
April 26th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Seems like with every new release and with a surge of new members the same old issues crop up with technical support issues, no one uses the search box, newbies try to help other newbies out by generalizing their solution or situation, and then eventually it all just goes away. Its quite comical to read some of the recurrent problems and solutions offered. I'd jump in, but I usually give other people a chance so they can discover its sometimes quite difficult to give go sound advice and support. My favorite time is actually just before a big release date since most of the users on the forums at this point are dedicated.

FuturePilot
April 26th, 2008, 02:32 AM
*waves at kevdog* ):P

dsiembab
April 26th, 2008, 02:57 AM
The search box searches like asking somone to do something for you it just does it quick and dirty without attention to detail.

Shazaam
April 26th, 2008, 04:42 AM
I'm 54. Does that classify me as old? :)

jaytek13
April 26th, 2008, 04:43 AM
2006 Woot! Been using Ubuntu since before then, though.

My post count isn't too high, though. i participate in too many Internet communities gosh darnit.

kostkon
April 26th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Here! ):P

fedex1993
April 26th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Yeah i feel that there are some members MIA and also they could be upset with the new forums. I just wish the new vbuilten did change almost everything.

wolfen69
April 26th, 2008, 04:58 AM
:guitar:

cogadh
April 26th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Been here off and on since 2005. A new release always brings me back for a while.

floke
April 26th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Still here now and again, but have stopped using Ubuntu so am mostly over on Arch. I know what you mean though.

karellen
April 26th, 2008, 07:28 AM
march 2006 here, still hanging around... :)

PriceChild
April 26th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I guess you don't mean forums mods though? ;)

samjh
April 26th, 2008, 08:20 AM
December 2006

Tundro Walker
April 26th, 2008, 08:22 AM

That's the spirit, LaRoza! Way to make them feel special! :)

Don't worry, newbies ... *I* still love you. Well, some of you. Well, a couple of you. Actually, I just sort of like you. It's more like "putting up with you" really.

But I digress.

Bubba64
April 26th, 2008, 08:49 AM

We find faults in others that we don't recognize in ourselves. Just giving you a hard time, you have posted many things that were of help to me. Sorry about using up so much bandwidth. I think by and large we all want to learn and help each other, for this to happen you have to communicate to some extent.

tamoneya
April 26th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I haven't be here too long but it may be that the forum is flooded with lots of posts like: "Best way to upgrade to Hardy", "Should I upgrade to Hardy?", "Poll on satisfaction with Hardy". It seems like it has been the same thing for the past two days. Not all that interesting in my opinion. I wish people could find the search button. I don't think the forum upgrade has helped this problem either.

aamukahvi
April 26th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Still here! Started my Ubuntu drip with Breezy...

apothecaryaaron
April 26th, 2008, 09:02 AM
It does seem that the names in the Absolute Beginner topic have changed, but I think it's just the effect of a new release. The experienced members still post when the problems get too difficult. Like mentioned earlier, most threads lately have been folks who ask the same question as the person before them. Folks like me can provide support there, no need for the experienced members to take time away from harder questions.

Since I've been working this week (seven 12 hour nights) I've had a lot of time to observe...

K.Mandla
April 26th, 2008, 09:21 AM
2006, reporting in. With lurk time added I can claim, but not prove, to be an '05er.

kagashe
April 26th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Hi,

I am here and help occasionally.

kagashe

ynnhoj
April 26th, 2008, 09:42 AM
i consider myself a veteran lurker -- and i'm still a-lurkin'!

matthew
April 26th, 2008, 10:01 AM
April 2005...and still here.

FYI, we had over 24,000 people on the forums at the same time last night. That's why the response times were so slow.

Mazza558
April 26th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I'm still here and as active as ever (mainly in the beginner's forum now though).

Joeb454
April 26th, 2008, 10:56 AM
ubuntu-geek is still here...he's been here since Oct 04 ;)

pelle.k
April 26th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Still here! Started my Ubuntu drip with Breezy...
+1

I see many (old) forum members are also using arch linux nowadays. The way i see it, it's just normal to advance to a more "technical" linux distro as you get more and more experienced. I still use ubuntu on and off though...

bikeboy
April 26th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I'm not the most prolific poster, but have been a regular here since Nov '04 - Waiting for another '04 person to show up :)

Must say I don't spend a lot of time in beginner forums now, but as I'm not a highly advanced user I try to give back within my level of expertise. Can still remember the problem that prompted me to sign up in the first place, it was fixed by the next release (Hoary) :)

smbm
April 26th, 2008, 11:20 AM
2006, reporting in. With lurk time added I can claim, but not prove, to be an '05er.

Ditto here.

twisted_steel
April 26th, 2008, 11:22 AM
ubuntu-geek is still here...he's been here since Oct 04 ;)

I'm not the most prolific poster, but have been a regular here since Nov '04 - Waiting for another '04 person to show up :)

October 2004, baby. Ubuntu-geek beat me by 11 days, but I still have a low user number. I've been around the whole time, but I just don't post a lot. It will be 4 years come this October ... crazy.

8-)

bonzodog
April 26th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I'm still here, not a massive poster like some of the newer members, but I normally post at least once a week.

We have lost some of the old "club", due to previous forum disputes and people moving on to other projects.

Also, a lot of the long timers no longer bother with the Community cafe, as it is getting too repetitive.

kerry_s
April 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM
i'm still here to, just been waiting for the forums upgrades to settle down. i'm also trying to get use to some new medications that make me irritable easily, so figured i just pop in to read more than post.

kevdog
April 26th, 2008, 12:08 PM
This thread is also targeting mods -- and wow -- I am surprised -- a lot of the veterans have caught me off guard. Good to know I am meeting some of you guys for the first time!

BrendanM
April 26th, 2008, 12:24 PM
What counts as "old"? I'm not on here all that frequently, but I've been posting on and off for a few years now.

Freddy
April 26th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I don't know what to respond to all the votes and rants about Hardy, so I don't. Some of the veterans of this forum is talking at CafeLinux (http://cafelinux.org/forum/index.php) nowadays.

RudolfMDLT
April 26th, 2008, 12:51 PM

Agreed - When I started with Ubuntu, 2006, the forum had a whole different feel(and I'm not just referring to the new look) to it than it has now. The IRC channel still feels like the old forum - but I don't use it often.

AlexR1
April 26th, 2008, 12:52 PM
JUly 2005 here, i do not have to many post, but I am here on the forum on regular basis.

bapoumba
April 26th, 2008, 01:32 PM
This thread is also targeting mods -- and wow -- I am surprised -- a lot of the veterans have caught me off guard. Good to know I am meeting some of you guys for the first time!
I'm not sure I understand the "targeting mods" thing. Are you talking about the ones who left altogether or the current ones?

I joined kinda late on UF with this account, I have been quite active on the French forums before I moved over here (I was a mod there), and started Ubuntu with Warty (Hoary has been my all time favorite, I admit I like Hardy quite much). I had another account here, from early 05 (Jan or Feb), that got deactivated as I did not remember the parameters.

By the time I check the Staff forums, give input (or have a good laugh with the others), check the reports, do what needs to be done, the mod queue, my subscriptions, close to 2-3 hours per day are gone. And I usually spend more than that when I can. Not much time left to help out people or endlessly argue :)

ugm6hr
April 26th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure I understand the "targeting mods" thing. Are you talking about the ones who left altogether or the current ones?

Not sure I count as a veteran.

As bapoumba states, mod duties end up being prioritised ahead of actual help, so it can be difficult to do both. Unsurprisingly, the zeal of a new convert (i.e. recent mod like myself) means we try and be all things at once.

Not sure how long I will be able to maintain a constant presence in the long run....

xmastree
April 26th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I'm still around (almost three years now), but not as active as I used to be due to having less spare time on my hands.

helliewm
April 26th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I am still here.):P

Helen

%hMa@?b<C
April 26th, 2008, 02:42 PM
do I count as "old"? I'm still around, mostly as a lurker, as I have less time, and spend any free time developing for Wii.

Perfect Storm
April 26th, 2008, 05:16 PM
October 11th, 2004 I joined the day Ubuntu forum started as I recall. Forum memeber no. 19 :guitar:

Nano Geek
April 26th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I'm here!

Go class of '06! :)

Lostincyberspace
April 26th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I have realized a bunch of people who I have not seen in a long time I don't know where they went or what they are doing. But we miss them sometimes but other has popped up here and there to replace them

bribri124
April 26th, 2008, 05:39 PM
What about veteran slackers? I've been slacking on here since 2006...I think.

castrojo
April 26th, 2008, 05:51 PM
October 2004!

Sporkman
April 26th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I was part of the 7.04 influx.

I'm 54. Does that classify me as old? :)

Yup! How are the adult diapers working for you? As for me, I'm a youthful 37.

Dev'olution
April 26th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Class of 5.04 - decided to join here mid 2006.

kellemes
April 26th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Have been silently haunting the forums since 2005.

Acglaphotis
April 26th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I started with 6.06 and registered here shortly after. : ) Does that make me a veteran?

toupeiro
April 26th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Using since 06, writing since Jan 07

Helios1276
April 26th, 2008, 08:11 PM

Best to keep the forums secret, possibly password the whole thing. Secret rituals and costumes and initiations are optional of course.

Sporkman
April 26th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Best to keep the forums secret, possibly password the whole thing. Secret rituals and costumes and initiations are optional of course.

:lol:

http://static.flickr.com/25/66204227_b4588c6481.jpg

http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/fiction/images/eyes.jpg

http://thisdistractedglobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/EyesWideShut4.jpg

Fedz
April 26th, 2008, 09:33 PM
How dare you :confused: without new members do you think Ubuntu would be as popular as it is now?

You was a new member one day ... remember? ;)

LaRoza
April 26th, 2008, 09:35 PM
How dare you :confused: without new members do you think Ubuntu would be as popular as it is now?

You was a new member one day ... remember? ;)

It is a joke ;)

We have had very high server loads, which is why it has been slow.

Helios1276
April 26th, 2008, 10:20 PM
It is a joke ;)

We have had very high server loads, which is why it has been slow.

No! she's just covering it up! older or..ELDER forum members have been even known to eat younger ones! tell your friends!

Fedz
April 26th, 2008, 10:40 PM
No! she's just covering it up! older or..ELDER forum members have been even known to eat younger ones! tell your friends!
Right! now I see LaRoza it was kidding :D

Sorry Helios1276 I work alone ;)

LaRoza
April 26th, 2008, 11:09 PM

I am only 20...

AndyCooll
April 26th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I'm still here. Class of 5.04.

My post count ain't too high because I'm a slow typer and someones usually supplied an answer before I get a chance!

:cool:

Helios1276
April 26th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I am only 20...

No I didnt mean elder as in age..more as in further up the hierarchy of my conspiracy theory..ah well the the wind is well and truly out of my sails now

hanzomon4
April 26th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I don't post as much anymore but I still hang around, by the way do I count as a veteran April 2006.

mrf
April 27th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Thataway -> OSX

Still fond of ubuntu and linux thou. Had to try 8.04, it looks like nice progress is being made.

southernman
April 27th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Went MIA shortly after the Gusty hounds were released. Heard the fish were biting so I brought my rod-n-reel... Gonna wet a hook tomorrow and see how the herron are biting for myself.

Member since 06 lurker since 05...

I see the staff have converted p_quarles and LaRoza over to the dark side... ya'll are in trouble now! ;)

Xzallion
April 27th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I'm still here. Joined way back when, and frequently lurk in the Community Cafe. I'm here almost on a daily basis, but I don't post to much.

The forums sure have changed over the years, isn't like it used to be.

Tripmonkey_uk
April 27th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I joined the forum January 15th, 2006, but I was using Ubuntu for about 7-8 months before. I didn't really need help with anything until Breezy was released, so there wasn't any need for me to sign up before then.

I read the forums more than post but I'm always willing to help when needed :)

bruce89
April 27th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Nowhere.

NeoLithium
April 27th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I've just been ridiculously busy with life, but now that I've upgraded my computer and bashed my old Pentium 4 CPU with a hammer for my own enjoyment....I'm BAAAAAAAAAAAACK :)

Sporkman
April 27th, 2008, 01:40 AM
I'm BAAAAAAAAAAAACK :)

...he said sheepishly.

futz
April 27th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Though you probably don't remember me, I've been an Ubuntu fan and ubuntuforums poster since late Warty Warthog. Does that count as "veteran"? Haven't been here much lately though. Busy with other things. But still an avid Ubuntu user. Just installed Hardy and am dealing with all the new bugs that come with a new release. I'm not sure if I like it yet...

bruce89
April 27th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Though you probably don't remember me, I've been an Ubuntu fan and ubuntuforums poster since late Warty Warthog. Does that count as "veteran"?

You can't get much more veteran than that unless you refer to Ubuntu as no-name-yet still.

red_Marvin
April 27th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Been using ubuntu since hoary hedgehog or something like that, I do not post very much but tend to lurk in the café, sometimes I try to help out in the beginner section though.

Shazaam
April 28th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I was part of the 7.04 influx.

Yup! How are the adult diapers working for you? As for me, I'm a youthful 37.

Depends....:)

Sporkman
April 28th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Depends....:)

D'Oh! :lol:

chucky chuckaluck
April 28th, 2008, 01:39 AM
even though i've just switched to arch, i'm still here. i'm even being good.

kevdog
April 28th, 2008, 02:17 AM
chucky --

you're not a veteran ... the alter ego is however!

KiwiNZ
April 28th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I joined OCT 2004 , the week the forum started

Dr Small
April 28th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Kevdog, I have been here since November 2006.
Do I count as a Veteran? :D

astoltz
April 28th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Another one from 2004. Been full time Ubuntu since Warty, Debian for a couple years before that. I think that's a different thread though.

kevdog
April 28th, 2008, 04:01 AM
I'm not sure what exactly counts as a Veteran -- length of time in the forums (I've only been here a little over a year) -- or number of beans (posts) -- or just helpful posts one may have supplied.

I really consider anyone a Veteran with a good working knowledge of Ubuntu willing to share their knowledge. Everyone is good at something. I wish every Veteran would at least submit a good How-To to the Tutorials & Tips section.

How do you think I can keep learning? Keep sharing your expertise!!:)