PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems upgrading Gutsy to Hardy

mathenge
April 26th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I'm having problems trying to upgrade. When I launch Update Manager, I get a message that there's an upgrade to 8.04. So I click on the Upgrade button.

The Distribution Upgrade dialog box launches and starts.
I get past "Preparing to upgrade" and the second section "Setting new software channels starts."

The dialog freezes with a message at the bottom that reads "Checking package manager."

All the time.

The progress bar is almost complete.

I just can't seem to get past this point.

Is there a way to do this manually or should I opt to download the CD. Also, if I download the CD, will it upgrade the existing system? I have already downloaded the CD but there doesn't seem to be an upgrade option.

Thanks!

gk17
April 26th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Wait a few days. There's too much load on the servers right now since everybody wants to get their hands on Hardy. As for the CD, I believe it's for fresh installs only (i.e. Your home directory will not be preserved).

ComputerExpertVK
April 26th, 2008, 12:44 AM
i also have a problem...
i installed the newest version of ubuntu.
when I try update using the update manager in ubuntu 8
it says this
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
:confused:

mathenge
April 26th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Apparently it's possible to upgrade using the "alternative" CD. Does anyone know if that upgrade is comparable to a network upgrade?

I do agree that the servers are crazy busy right now but with all the problems I'm reading about, perhaps it's a good thing that my upgrade isn't getting anywhere.