PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Audio problem after upgrade to Hardy

hansengel
April 26th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Hi,
I just finished upgrading to Hardy this morning, from Gutsy 7.10. It's been great so far, except for one thing--sound.

After upgrading to Hardy and restarting, I opened a music player and played some music. I heard little teeny sounds, but nothing significant. I checked the volume, and it was at its customary level. I cranked it all the way up, and doing so put it at just about the normal level of sound.

This is a bit odd--the speaker's volume is the same as always, and I didn't modify any sound options after the install. If you need diagnostics or anything of that sort, I'd be happy to provide them.

Thanks,
Hans Engel

Mystix
April 26th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I have also installed xubuntu 8.04 upgrade and found that my sound is almost not there (so low you can barely hear it). I went into the sound settings and turned PCM al the way up and made sure everything was un-muted this helped some but still is about half volume of what it should be?

I have all the alsa components installed and it is recognizing my sound card.

KDS - Korean Data Systems
512 ram
40 GB Hard Drive
Xubuntu 8.04

hansengel
April 26th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I got this fixed. I opened Volume Control (right-click the volume applet's icon in the panel) and brought the 'Front' device to its highest setting.

pdub
April 26th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I had the same problem. I had to right-click on the volume control, select Open Volume Control, then File -> Change Device and change from Realtek to HDA Intel. Then as hansengel said, adjust the Front Volume.

techno-wiz
April 26th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I had the same problem on my HP laptop. Raising PCM volume in the Volume Control Panel fixed it.

pedrorojo
April 26th, 2008, 05:34 PM
well, I still have the problem, no joy on changing settings on ALSA mixer.
My audio is a realtek alc883
Any suggestions?

idiotonuni
April 26th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I am not having trouble with the volume of speakers but with things not playing all together. I will sometimes have trouble getting any music player to actually play the music for some reason. Sometimes The music players work but I will pause them to listen to a youtube video in firefox, but the youtube video has no sound at all. I have tried changing sound devices and everything so please help me.

Pumalite
April 26th, 2008, 06:11 PM
well, I still have the problem, no joy on changing settings on ALSA mixer.
My audio is a realtek alc883
Any suggestions?