PDA

View Full Version : Are you Building computer to fit the OS or Confg the OS to fit the Hardware?

Ioky
April 26th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Right the Question sounds a bit weird, but I wonder what they are thinking when they build their computer.

As many of you know, Hardware company doesn't like to write driver for Linux for some reason. except for few. (Also in here, I would thanks for all the people who put their hard work writing drivers for Linux. Thanks.)

So when you build your own computer, do you only pick up hardware that you are 100% sure it will work great on Linux, or you just pick up the hardware that you like, and try to work your way out after (you know sometime just take a risk)?

Let this rolling, when I build my first Linux Box "BiTuX" I pick up hardware that I am 100% sure it will work under Linux perfectly. although some of those, like RAM, I assume it will work anyway.

So, what kind of computer builder you are, and what is your experience?

jaytek13
April 26th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I pick all my hardware with Linux in mind. Then, I've ostrasized myself from Windows long ago so I don't have anything to fall back on... well, technically I do since I do actually own vista (working in the tech industry it's kind of hard to ignore big OS releases that you may be required to be familiar with, but I learned it, got comfortable with it, and washed my hands of it)..

Anyways, yeah, Linux first, hardware second.

thisiam
April 26th, 2008, 12:11 AM
i wonder if you were to walk in the store with a live cd and insert it into a computer that you want to buy, would they stop you?
but for computers that i have made i have looked up to make sure the part works with both windoze and linux.
unfortunatly i still dual boot.

ShadowGray
April 26th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I haven't been able to completely switch over to Linux yet. College demands too many programs that may require Windows. So I just get the best technology for the buck, and then configure both OSes (Windows and Linux) to work with the OS.

I'd like to be able to just get a nice Linux box, but right now life demands otherwise.

Lostincyberspace
April 26th, 2008, 12:48 AM
the only thing you really have to worry about is wireless cards and graphics cards really, most others don't have to much of a problem

Barrucadu
April 26th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I have never built a computer from scratch before, just upgraded, so I can't answer this question. I will, however, be picking hardware that works great with Linux when I do begin building my computers from scratch.

ShadowGray
April 26th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Yeah, technically everything works great with Linux, except for wireless and video cards.

jaytek13
April 26th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Yeah, technically everything works great with Linux, except for wireless and video cards.

And winmodems. They do actually still hold some relevance for people who want to fax things from their computer. And a lot of sound cards, particularly creative's, don't function properly with surround sound without quite a bit of configuration.

LaRoza
April 26th, 2008, 01:55 AM
It makes sense to get hardware that will work. If you are planning on making a machine with Windows Vista, you don't go get the latest Sparc processor, and an old parallel printer. You get what works well with Vista (not much, actually)

Biochem
April 26th, 2008, 04:12 AM
i wonder if you were to walk in the store with a live cd and insert it into a computer that you want to buy, would they stop you?
but for computers that i have made i have looked up to make sure the part works with both windoze and linux.
Salesman don't care. I tried it last month, one came ask what I was doing and realized I not a good candidate for his sales pitch so went to another customer. I was told if someone install something they just send the computer to a be reimaged the hard drive.

However, be sure not to even breath on the usb dongle. These damn alarm are way too sensitive

LaRoza
April 26th, 2008, 04:14 AM

If you be nice to the computer, and the people there they normally let you. I did it on the laptops. I even sparked interest in Linux from the staff.

Ioky
April 26th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I don't see any reason why people wouldn't let you use a Live CD, except the fact that many people out there still never hear of it. but yet, For Desktop, most of the things sense to work right, except for some sound card, graphic card, and wireless card. Sometime, the real problem do come down to Laptop, sense they are the thing that you can't do much about the hardware. And here is where Live CD come to be really handy. But I think as long you told the sales what you are looking for, they will let you use it and test it out. I mean it is their job to make customer happy, and get what they want.

yatt
April 26th, 2008, 06:45 AM
There was a thread about this a while ago and it really depends on the place and who is on shift at the time.

Just remember, that is not your hardware (yet), and the company has the right to limit what you can and cannot do with that hardware in any way they feel. You respect the right that it is still their hardware first, and seek permission. I think this was something most people in the thread agreed on.

Depressed Man
April 26th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I config the OS to fit the computer. Since I generally have specific hardware requirements. Though the last time I built a computer I wasn't running Linux yet (was just running Windows XP). I might check into Linux compatibility for now on though.