PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it possible to un-install 8.04 and go back?

W. James MacLean
April 25th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I'd like to know if you can follow a procedure to un-install 8.04, that is other than just doing a clean install of 7.10 (or something else ...)?

If there is an un-install procedure, can someone point me at it? I've been unable to find it ... and need use it :(

grannyw
April 25th, 2008, 10:46 PM
you can just back up what you need,run gparted from live cd and clean your ubuntu partition

Bubba64
April 25th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I'd like to know if you can follow a procedure to un-install 8.04, that is other than just doing a clean install of 7.10 (or something else ...)?

If there is an un-install procedure, can someone point me at it? I've been unable to find it ... and need use it :(

You can download an alternative ISO of whatever you want then run it in BIO check first to see if it is a good CD copy then do a fresh install. If you have anything you want to save right now save it. You could also do a dual boot with the download, but there a apparently grub problems that can appear with this dual booting after a period of time, there are postings about this and how to work with the problems. The fresh install will overwrite the Hardy program if you do a single install of the new ISO setting up new partitions, as far as I know this is the only way to reverse so to speak.

W. James MacLean
April 26th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I had hoped to avoid a 'fresh install', as there will be a lot of work involved in re-installing all the packages I use. Is there at least a way of generating a list of packages I use, to simplify this process?

tom123
April 26th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I had Windows XP and installed 8.04 - I uninstalled it simply by booting up in Windows and then doing a normal uninstall through the add-remove programs function under the Control Panel of Windows. You will see Ubuntu listed there. Can't help if you don't have Windows though.

siulca
April 26th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I am interested on reverting back to 7.10 as well as I can't get internet on 8.04 among other things.

I am currently running 6.06 from a Live CD and downloading 7.10 to do a fresh install (if I can't find a way of reverting meanwhile).

Lots of people seem to be having problems though. I think it would be a good idea to give each realease a stability (or maturity) rating. This way you'd save a lot of people a lot of wasted time trying to install a premature release that has very little chance of running out of the box.

W. James MacLean
April 26th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Lots of people seem to be having problems though. I think it would be a good idea to give each realease a stability (or maturity) rating. This way you'd save a lot of people a lot of wasted time trying to install a premature release that has very little chance of running out of the box.

I couldn't agree more. Hardy has some non-trivial problems, and now so do I. My mistake for not doing a proper backup image before I started the upgrade ... I guess I got complacent after so many clean upgrades :-(