PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 LTS doesn't boot from GRUB4DOS menu.

danflasher
April 25th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Hi;

I just install Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (HARDY HERON) on a laptop running XP Professional. When the system reboots, I see the GRUB4DOS dual boot menu asking me if I want to boot XP or Ubuntu. Every time I select Ubuntu, the GRUB4DOS dual boot menu gets displayed again and Ubuntu never starts up.
Does anyone know why I can't get Ubuntu to start from the GRUB4DOS menu?

Thanks
Dan

tormod
April 25th, 2008, 10:05 PM
It would be easier if you could attach your menu.lst here (rename it to .txt to outsmart the forum software). On which partition did you install Ubuntu?

danflasher
April 26th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Ubuntu was installed in the C:\ partition. I didn't know where to find (menu.lst) so I performed a search. I found three locations where menu.lst exists. I noticed the file which exists in the grub path has a size of 3KB whereas the size of the file in the C:\ path has a size of 1KB. Is it possible the menu.lst file isn't getting copied to C:\?
I attached the 3KB menu file.

Name In Folder Size Type Date Modified
menu.lst C:\ 1 KB LST File 4/10/2008 8:19 PM
menu.lst.bak C:\ 1 KB BAK File 4/10/2008 8:17 PM
menu.lst C:\ubuntu\winboot 1 KB LST File 4/22/2008 8:57 AM
menu.lst C:\ubuntu\install\boot\grub 3 KB LST File 4/25/2008 10:15 AM

Thanks
Dan

tormod
April 26th, 2008, 11:07 PM
It seems like you used WUBI to install Ubuntu in a windows partition? This is useful information you could give from the beginning ;) The file you attached was only used during installation I think. grub4dos uses the one on C:\ Can you please attach that one?

danflasher
April 27th, 2008, 03:00 AM
I attached the menu.txt file located in the C:\ directory.
Sorry about leaving out part of the story.

Dan