PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Can anybody suggest a way of changing a 8.04 Kuntuntu install into 8.04 Xfce

sandydesu
April 25th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I have been running kubuntu 8.04 beta for about a month now and its great. In fact, I have been using kubuntu for about a year now and I love it...but my laptop us getting a little decrepit now and I noticing things slowing up. As a solution I thought about changing to Xfce because of its lower hardware requirements but I really don't want to have to do a new install. Can anybody suggest way of changing to Xfce from Kde without a reinstall? I would be grateful if any of you could offer a solution.

Pogeymanz
April 25th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Just open Adept and install Xubuntu-Desktop. Or if you don't want all the XFCE programs, just install XFCE and not xubuntu-desktop.

Next time you are at the login screen, click the session menu and choose xfce. Done. QED. Fin.

You could also uninstall Kubuntu-Desktop if you never plan on using it again.

ogcub
April 26th, 2008, 05:42 PM
If you don't mind space used up by KDE then you can just install xubuntu-desktop. Only problem is that you will have all the KDE packages on disk without any real chance to remove them.