PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannot install Hardy - initramfs error

azurehi
April 25th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I cannot install HH ubuntu 8.04 (not kubuntu 8.04) because of an initramfs error/problem. I have downloaded images from several different mirrors, including the alternate version and burned each on new discs at the slowest speed and Always get the screen with BusyBox v1.1.3(Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntuiz) built-in shell (ash)
initramfs. I have tried changing BIOS setting from IDE to RAID and at F6 adding pci-nomsi. Nothing works.

I have used ubuntu successfully since 6.06. Could this be related to the kernel 2.6.24? I am unable to install 8.04 - any suggestions will be much appreciated.

jedimasterk
April 25th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Try inserting a floppy with some data on and see if the Live CD will continue on with the bootup process.

jedimasterk
April 25th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Quote: Aliasbind's hint was right: I noticed the system trying to get a floppy. I inserted one, then ubuntu read the floppy for some time and finally continued to boot from CD. No error message or anything, just reading the floppy. While I'm writing this posting I still use ubuntu 8.04 in Live-CD mode.

And I have a ASUS P5B-Deluxe mainboard with this f****g JMicron controller stuck on it! This one gave me trouble eversince I bought the board some 18 months ago using Windows or different Linux distributions. Now it's definitly time to buy some SATA DVD-Writer and disable this controller. Perhaps it interferes here as well as some other users mention it as part of their system, too.

Try the floppy

tormod
April 25th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Please report this in launchpad if it hasn't been already. File it on initramfs-tools if it happens both with the Desktop and Alternate CD.

oldnat
April 26th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Alas, it does not work.
I inserted a floppy. It seeked it, but came to initramfs again. Then I write enabled the floppy. Then it seeked it not (just lit the LED), but came to initramfs again. I removed all USB card readers etc, disabled the serial and parallel ports etc - all the same. It stops at initramfs and I am not able to get it move on...

tormod
April 26th, 2008, 10:59 PM
When the booting stops at the initramfs busybox prompt, it is generally because the "root=UUID=something" option in the grub kernel line is wrong. Type cat /proc/cmdline to see the value. Type ls /dev/disk/by-uuid to see what the possible values can be (of course only one of them is the correct root partition).

Solrac924
April 27th, 2008, 01:04 AM
wconstantine, was exactly was the error message (at the bottom) when you booted with no splash?

azurehi
April 28th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Following the suggestion of Jong http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765195&page=7 I booted the desktop live cd image, chose language, install, F6 and entered:

all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll

The image booted to live desktop and I was able to install HH without problem. many thanks to Jong!!

stanley82
April 28th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I updated gutsy then upgraded to Hardy and get a white on black old fashioned DOS screen with all the initramfs stuff. The above process normally upgrades me with only printer and firefox plugin problems. Right now I'm dead in the water and do not have any floppies. Im using ubuntu on an AMD64 system. Regards Ian.

My fix
After a fair bit of digging using Google and getting lots of info I'm sure there is a problem with Hasty Heron. I used my old RAF INIT and hit esc in grub tried Kernel 2.6.24.16 recovery and that sort of died. Next boot I selected Kernel 2.6.22.14 generic and Ubuntu 8.04 came to life. So I guess I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 with the 7.10 kernel. At least it runs. Thanks for your suggestions. Strange things computers, once upon a time I fully understood them now I doubt anyone does. Regards Ian.

Efaill
April 28th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Following the suggestion of Jong http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765195&page=7 I booted the desktop live cd image, chose language, install, F6 and entered:

The image booted to live desktop and I was able to install HH without problem. many thanks to Jong!!

Fantastic stuff did the job for me \\:D/

azurehi
April 28th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Further note: I found that at F6 adding only the "all_generic_ide" was all I needed to boot cd-rom and install HH. I believe that this will also work in kubuntu 8.04 but have not tried it. I'm glad to have learned of this and happy it seems to work.

bingobingo
April 28th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I say do not do install 8.04, stick with 7.10. I did the upgrade and it is slowing my computer down bad, cpu is always loaded even with no apps running, do not know what is causing it, though all apps seam to run.

stanley82
April 29th, 2008, 01:29 AM
My fix
After a fair bit of digging using Google and getting lots of info I'm sure there is a problem with Hasty Heron. I used my old RAF INIT and hit esc in grub tried Kernel 2.6.24.16 recovery and that sort of died. Next boot I selected Kernel 2.6.22.14 generic and Ubuntu 8.04 came to life. So I guess I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 with the 7.10 kernel. At least it runs. Thanks for your suggestions. Strange things computers, once upon a time I fully understood them now I doubt anyone does. Regards Ian.

GoldenNugget
April 29th, 2008, 06:17 AM
I've tried using the all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll and it still doesn't boot. I've tried various combinations as well.

I've also tried doing a fresh install with the alternate cd and that is also not working due to not being able to manually choose a cd module or something...

God I'd like to try out HH but nothing seems to work... And I want a fresh install since the last three times I've tried to upgrade my upgrade broke in some way.

vlgligor
April 29th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Sorry, but the "all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll" options does not work for me, all the time I end up in the initramfs + busybox.

My configuration:
Intel C2Duo 6300
MB MSI P965 Platinum
HDD SATA
DVD-WR Primary IDE.

I could install it from the alternate CD, but after I boot in Hardy it ends up in the very same initramfs + busybox. The Gutsy was working from the beginning without any problems.

tormod
April 29th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I say do not do install 8.04, stick with 7.10. I did the upgrade and it is slowing my computer down bad, cpu is always loaded even with no apps running, do not know what is causing it, though all apps seam to run.

What hardware do you have? Please file a bug so we can get this fixed in 8.04.

jedimasterk
April 29th, 2008, 09:01 AM
What hardware do you have? Please file a bug so we can get this fixed in 8.04.

I got same error (initramfs)_.
My hardware is
Asus K8VSE Deluxe (motherboard)(AMD 64 3200+)
eVGA 6800GT 256MB RAM
Seagate 500 GB SATA internal harddrive
2GB Corsair XMMS RAM
Pioneer IDE DVD+/-RW
Internal generic Comp USA IDE Floppy Drive.

tormod
April 29th, 2008, 10:14 AM
The problem is that there are many different ways of something going wrong - each different bugs - that result in the (initramfs) prompt. In this thread there are so many different issues so it's quite difficult to get anything useful out of it.

This is also why (almost) no developers have time to look around in the forum, there's too much noise and misleading info. Therefore you have to file your own bugs and give precise, verbatim information if want to see your problems fixed. Developers read bug reports.

If you install Hardy from scratch (so upgrade and configuration issues can be ruled out) and your machine does not boot any longer or performs a lot worse than in other Ubuntu/Linux versions (so hardware problems can be ruled out), it is a bug that we would like to get fixed. Ubuntu should work well out-of-the-box on most common hardware.

bc90021
May 2nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by azurehi View Post

This worked for me as well. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to recognise my bluetooth keyboard and mouse (though the BIOS does!) so I'm off to solve that problem.

Solrac924
May 3rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
The problem is that there are many different ways of something going wrong - each different bugs - that result in the (initramfs) prompt. In this thread there are so many different issues so it's quite difficult to get anything useful out of it.

i totally agree on this. that's why i asked early on what was shown when the machine was booted (with no splash). the cause could be a misconfigured interrupt controller, or an interface being overlapped or with a direct memory access problem. i read where users are trying whatever remedy without truly understanding their hardware issue at hand. we should ask the person with any problems to do some reading before any posting. ;)

Shaman82
May 3rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
Stanley82's workaround did the trick for me; I booted with the older kernel and all is well, so far. I've also seen on other threads that changing drive settings from SATA to RAID in the system BIOS is working for some. I've been using Linux for a while, but I am still a noob; take this post for whatever it's worth, if anything.

ProtocolOH
May 3rd, 2008, 11:34 PM
I've found a related bug. I had previously tried installing Gibbon (7.10) on a new box I'd built, and really didn't have any issues with it. But I didn't need the box immediately, so I let it sit idle. Now that Heron is out, and it's a LTS release, I decided to have a go.

But even after diagnosing a bad Heron ISO burn (and then verifying that my second disc was 100% OK by booting it on another machine and checking it), my new box would always dump to the BusyBox/initramfs prompt. I thought maybe it was the new RAID card (RocketRaid 3120) I'd put in. I pulled all my expansion cards, but the problem persisted.

So I went into BIOS and reverted to "Optimized Defaults". And whaddaya know, the system boots off the Heron CD and goes into the installer. Huh. So, on a hunch, I went back into BIOS to see what had reverted. I made one change... to tell BIOS that I had no 1.44MB 3.5" floppy drive installed (I don't). I rebooted, and got the BusyBox prompt. Flipped the setting back (to saying I had a drive), and Heron boots.

If you think I should file a bug, please give this n00b a URL to point me to where I should do that.

Hardware:

Foxconn 6150BK8MC-KRSHN2 MiniATX mobo (nForce 430 / GeForce 6150)
BIOS revision 012306 (58GW1P27, Jan 23 2006?)
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (Socket 939, 2.2GHz)
2GB (2 x 1GB) Buffalo PC3200 DDR RAM (dual-channel)
Sun Quad Ethernet X1034A (PCI)
Adaptec AHA2940UW SCSI adapter (PCI)
HighPoint RocketRAID 3120 (PCI-E x1)
2x WD 200GB SATA drives (attached to RR3120 in RAID 1)
1x WD 80GB drive (attached to mainboard)
1x Samsung IDE CD/DVD burner

(Note: I'm seeing about upgrading the BIOS to 58GW1P34, but Foxconn only provides DOS-mode flash utilities... you realize what a pain in the *** it is to try and make a DOS boot disk without a floppy drive?)

EDIT: I managed to update my BIOS to version P34 (from version P27), and no change in this behavior. I reverted to Optimized Defaults in the BIOS (which configures Floppy A as a 3.5" drive). I booted the Heron CD, and started the disc self-check utility to verify that the utility was booting correctly. Once it started doing the actual check, I rebooted, went into BIOS, and only changed the floppy setting (to "no drive"). Saved, rebooted, started into the Heron disc-check utility, and after a few sweeps of the Cylon bar (what do you call that thing, anyway?), I got dumped into the BusyBox/initramfs prompt. So there ya go... bug confirmed. Please give me a URL if you want me to report a bug.

blueorder
May 4th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Give this post a read. might be able to help.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4576776&postcount=6

tormod
May 4th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Please give me a URL if you want me to report a bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+filebug

(see also the links in my signature)

ProtocolOH
May 4th, 2008, 04:22 PM
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+filebug

(see also the links in my signature)
Danke. I searched for related bugs, and there were a couple of close matches, but none seemed to involve the mechanic of changing BIOS settings and having that cause Hardy to fail to boot. So I went ahead and filed a new one:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/226519

It may end up being a dupe of another bug, but whoever's in charge of the original bug should be able to figure it out pretty quickly. Thanks.

stanley82
May 5th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I also had this initramfs on another system using Xubuntu install. It was due to an error on my CD (guess a r/w is not as good as read only) so suggest choosing check CD before selecting install. Regards Ian.

sharky517
May 17th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I also had the initramfs error, not to mention the installation process seemed to take longer than it should. After reading this post i simply added all_generic_ide to my boot options and everything went smoothly. I love when it's a one search solution!

uniontroublemaker
May 26th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Inserting a floppy finally resolved this problem for me, after burning numerous CDs and DVDs thinking they were bad. I even ordered a CD by mail. I was finally able to do a clean re-install of Hardy to fix a corrupted online upgrade.

stanley82
May 27th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I am sure that you are right. I overcame the issue by reverting to the Gutsy kernel and that is what I am still using on Hardy. I am sure that most of these problems are due to a bad upgrade file or bad disk. A corrupted file somewhere. I was asked to cut a CD and retry. I did that and selected check CD before doing anything else and once that checked out I ran the CD with out changing my HD settings. That was fine. So how do I get the Hardy kernel off the CD and into /boot....? Regards Ian.

iqiszero
May 29th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Folks,
I think I have a great news to fix this initramfs issue. Here is what I did.

At the LiveCD initial boot screen:
Select F6 for more options
Add the following option to the beginning of the options list:
break=top
Press enter to start booting
Ubuntu will start booting, but kick you out to a command prompt; at the prompt type these two commands:
modprobe ata_piix
modprobe ide_generic
exit

You will now boot into the LiveCD normally.
Above worked successfully and I hope your case is working fine.

stanley82
May 30th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Did you arrow down and check the CD first? My Hardy Kernel has an error after upgrade. I cut a CD, checked it and booted the live CD without any F6 and it ran fine. What I need to do is to get the kernel off the live CD and onto my Hard Drive. I am sure that we all have different problems causing a boot fail.

RodGer GR
November 14th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Hello. I have the same problem. I thought I found the solution using the alternate cd until I rebooted my desktop for the first time after the first login in my newly installed system.

I have the same message with BusyBox and Initramfs after choosing from the Grub menu and after seeing that orange bar loading for a while.

I tried to add the 'all_generic_ide' option in the menu.lst at the line where 'quiet' was and I got a message 'error 27 unrecognized command...'

Since I made it to install, I think there is a hope I can change something in my installed kernel (using a live cd) to make it functional again.

Any ideas what I should change?

More system information:

ubuntu
description: Desktop Computer
product: POWERMATE_ML460_PRO
vendor: NEC COMPUTERS SAS
version: PM-F-ML460-PRO
serial: 208268560001
width: 32 bits
capabilities: smbios-2.4 dmi-2.4 smp-1.4 smp
configuration: boot=normal chassis=desktop cpus=2 uuid=E452A619-892E-DC11-8000-4E45435F4349
*-core
description: Motherboard
product: Q965T-NP
vendor: ELITEGROUP COMPUTER SYSTEMS CO., LTD
physical id: 0
*-firmware
description: BIOS
vendor: NEC COMPUTERS SAS NOTE BIOS Version
version: 965Q0190 (03/28/2007)
size: 128KiB
capacity: 448KiB
capabilities: isa pci pnp apm upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect socketedrom edd int13floppy360 int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer int10video acpi usb ls120boot zipboot biosbootspecification netboot
*-cpu:0
description: CPU
product: Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2140 @ 1.60GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 5
bus info: cpu@0
version: 6.15.2
serial: 0000-06F2-0000-0000-0000-0000
slot: Socket 775
size: 1200MHz
capacity: 4GHz
width: 64 bits
clock: 200MHz
capabilities: boot fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx x86-64 constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm cpufreq
configuration: id=1
*-cache:0
description: L1 cache
physical id: 9
slot: Internal Cache
size: 32KiB
capacity: 32KiB
capabilities: synchronous internal write-back
*-cache:1
description: L2 cache
physical id: a
slot: External Cache
size: 1MiB
capacity: 1MiB
capabilities: synchronous external write-back
*-logicalcpu:0
description: Logical CPU
physical id: 1.1
capabilities: logical
*-logicalcpu:1
physical id: 1.2
*-memory
description: System Memory
physical id: 1b
slot: System board or motherboard
size: 512MiB
capacity: 2GiB
*-bank:0
description: DIMM DDR2 Synchronous 667 MHz (1.5 ns)
product: 0x4D332037385436353533455A532D43453620
vendor: 0xCE00000000000000
serial: 0xF8102FFD
slot: A0
size: 512MiB
clock: 667MHz (1.5ns)
*-bank:1
description: DIMM [empty]
product: None
vendor: None
physical id: 1
serial: None
slot: A1
*-cpu:1
bus info: cpu@1
version: 6.15.2
serial: 0000-06F2-0000-0000-0000-0000
size: 1200MHz
capacity: 1200MHz
capabilities: ht cpufreq
configuration: id=1
*-logicalcpu:0
physical id: 1.1
*-logicalcpu:1
physical id: 1.2
*-pci
description: Host bridge
product: 82Q963/Q965 Memory Controller Hub
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 100
bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
version: 02
clock: 33MHz
configuration: driver=agpgart-intel
resources: irq:0
*-pci:0
description: PCI bridge
product: 82Q963/Q965 PCI Express Root Port
bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
capabilities: pci pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=pcieport-driver
resources: irq:24 ioport:a000(size=4096) memory:fd700000-fd7fffff ioport:fd600000(size=1048576)
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
capabilities: msi pm bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:28 memory:fda00000-fdafffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff(prefetchable) ioport:ff00(size=8)
*-communication
description: Communication controller
product: 82Q963/Q965 HECI Controller
physical id: 3
bus info: pci@0000:00:03.0
capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=heci latency=0
resources: irq:16 memory:fdfff000-fdfff00f
*-ide:0 UNCLAIMED
description: IDE interface
product: 82Q963/Q965 PT IDER Controller
physical id: 3.2
bus info: pci@0000:00:03.2
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: ide pm msi cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: ioport:fe00(size=8) ioport:fd00(size=4) ioport:fc00(size=8) ioport:fb00(size=4) ioport:fa00(size=16)
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: 82566DM Gigabit Network Connection
physical id: 19
bus info: pci@0000:00:19.0
logical name: eth0
serial: 00:16:ec:92:1a:ec
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 1GB/s
capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e1000e driverversion=1.0.2-k2 duplex=full firmware=1.1-0 ip=192.168.178.29 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100MB/s
resources: irq:27 memory:fdfc0000-fdfdffff memory:fdffe000-fdffefff ioport:f900(size=32)
*-usb:0
description: USB Controller
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4
physical id: 1a
bus info: pci@0000:00:1a.0
capabilities: bus_master
configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0
resources: irq:16 ioport:f800(size=32)
*-usb:1
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5
physical id: 1a.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:1a.1
resources: irq:21 ioport:f700(size=32)
*-usb:2
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2
physical id: 1a.7
bus info: pci@0000:00:1a.7
capabilities: pm debug bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=ehci_hcd latency=0
resources: irq:18 memory:fdffd000-fdffd3ff
*-multimedia
description: Audio device
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
physical id: 1b
bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0
resources: irq:22 memory:fdff4000-fdff7fff
*-pci:1
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1
physical id: 1c
bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.0
capabilities: pci pciexpress msi pm bus_master cap_list
resources: irq:25 ioport:d000(size=4096) memory:fde00000-fdefffff ioport:fdd00000(size=1048576)
*-pci:2
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2
physical id: 1c.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.1
capabilities: pci pciexpress msi pm bus_master cap_list
resources: irq:26 ioport:c000(size=4096) memory:fdc00000-fdcfffff ioport:fdb00000(size=1048576)
*-storage
description: SATA controller
product: JMB361 AHCI/IDE
vendor: JMicron Technology Corp.
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
capabilities: storage pm pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=ahci latency=0
resources: irq:17 memory:fdcfe000-fdcfffff memory:fdb00000-fdb0ffff(prefetchable)
*-ide
product: JMB361 AHCI/IDE
vendor: JMicron Technology Corp.
physical id: 0.1
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.1
logical name: scsi4
capabilities: ide pm bus_master cap_list emulated
configuration: driver=pata_jmicron latency=0
resources: irq:18 ioport:cf00(size=8) ioport:ce00(size=4) ioport:cd00(size=8) ioport:cc00(size=4) ioport:cb00(size=16)
*-cdrom
description: DVD reader
product: UJDA770 DVD/CDRW
vendor: MATSHITA
physical id: 0.0.0
bus info: scsi@4:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/cdrw
logical name: /dev/dvd
logical name: /dev/scd0
logical name: /dev/sr0
logical name: /cdrom
version: 1.02
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd
configuration: ansiversion=5 mount.fstype=iso9660 mount.options=ro,noatime state=mounted status=ready
*-medium
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /cdrom
configuration: mount.fstype=iso9660 mount.options=ro,noatime state=mounted
*-usb:3
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1
physical id: 1d
bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.0
resources: irq:23 ioport:f600(size=32)
*-usb:4
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2
physical id: 1d.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.1
resources: irq:19 ioport:f500(size=32)
*-usb:5
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3
physical id: 1d.2
bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.2
resources: irq:18 ioport:f400(size=32)
*-usb:6
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1
physical id: 1d.7
bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.7
capabilities: pm debug bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=ehci_hcd latency=0
resources: irq:23 memory:fdffc000-fdffc3ff
*-pci:3
product: 82801 PCI Bridge
physical id: 1e
bus info: pci@0000:00:1e.0
version: f2
capabilities: pci bus_master cap_list
resources: ioport:b000(size=4096) memory:fd900000-fd9fffff ioport:fd800000(size=1048576)
*-isa
description: ISA bridge
product: 82801HO (ICH8DO) LPC Interface Controller
physical id: 1f
bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.0
capabilities: isa bus_master cap_list
*-ide:1
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) 4 port SATA IDE Controller
physical id: 1f.2
bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.2
logical name: scsi2
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: ide pm bus_master cap_list emulated
configuration: driver=ata_piix latency=0
resources: irq:19 ioport:f300(size=8) ioport:f200(size=4) ioport:f100(size=8) ioport:f000(size=4) ioport:ef00(size=16) ioport:ee00(size=16)
*-disk
description: ATA Disk
product: ST3160815AS
vendor: Seagate
physical id: 0.0.0
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sda
version: 3.AA
serial: 9RA1L3HM
size: 149GiB (160GB)
capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=2aff8c51
*-volume:0
description: Windows NTFS volume
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0,1
logical name: /dev/sda1
version: 3.1
serial: a0405a69-7bcd-d948-ab9a-0a16c99de2a6
size: 17GiB
capacity: 17GiB
capabilities: primary bootable ntfs initialized
configuration: clustersize=4096 created=2009-11-11 20:27:46 filesystem=ntfs modified_by_chkdsk=true mounted_on_nt4=true resize_log_file=true state=dirty upgrade_on_mount=true
*-volume:1
description: Extended partition
physical id: 2
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0,2
logical name: /dev/sda2
size: 131GiB
capacity: 131GiB
capabilities: primary extended partitioned partitioned:extended
*-logicalvolume:0
description: Linux filesystem partition
physical id: 5
logical name: /dev/sda5
capacity: 14GiB
*-logicalvolume:1
description: Linux filesystem partition
physical id: 6
logical name: /dev/sda6
capacity: 112GiB
*-logicalvolume:2
description: Linux swap / Solaris partition
physical id: 7
logical name: /dev/sda7
capacity: 4094MiB
capabilities: nofs
*-volume:2
description: EXT3 volume
vendor: Linux
physical id: 3
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0,3
logical name: /dev/sda3
logical name: /media/d8d984b5-ab4b-4239-87a0-e65fe451cfbc
version: 1.0
serial: d8d984b5-ab4b-4239-87a0-e65fe451cfbc
size: 125MiB
capacity: 125MiB
capabilities: primary journaled extended_attributes recover ext3 ext2 initialized
configuration: created=2009-11-13 23:30:05 filesystem=ext3 modified=2009-11-14 01:18:55 mount.fstype=ext3 mount.options=rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,errors=cont inue,data=writeback mounted=2009-11-14 01:18:55 state=mounted
*-serial UNCLAIMED
description: SMBus
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller
physical id: 1f.3
bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.3
resources: memory:fdffb000-fdffb0ff ioport:500(size=32)

The problem seems to be solved with Karmic Koala but there are some other problems as I described here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1325892) and here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8314551#post8314551).