PDA

View Full Version : repositories so slow

Lostincyberspace
April 25th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Does any one else have a problem with the repositories so slow I hate it I am trying to watch a movie and need the dvd codecs and I have been waiting for ten minutes to download. it is really kind of annoying.

macogw
April 25th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Shuttleworth estimated last year that there are 10,000,000 Ubuntu users worldwide. If only 10% of them decided to upgrade to Hardy and no new users happened, that'd be 1,000,000 people. About 5,000 torrented it, I think (based on Seveas's stats). I estimate there are around 100 mirrors as well. That means 995,000 people downloaded from 100 mirrors. 9,950 people therefore downloading from each mirror. And there's not a chance in heck only 10% of people upgraded and that there were absolutely no new users. Plus, many of us downloaded multiple ISOs because we are having installfests/release parties and intend to give them out. We've created an accidental DoS on all things Ubuntu. Seveas says some areas with poor infrastructure were completely DoS'd by everyone downloading Ubuntu.

The repositories won't be back to normal for about a week if it's the same as it was with Gutsy.

fjf
April 25th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Yes, you've choosen a bad day to upgrade. One has to get the late beta and upgrade every day, or wait some time for upgrading after the release. Or do it today and be VERY patient! ;)

Lostincyberspace
April 25th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Oh i know that I just hate this first week it takes for ever to do anything. I really think that they should start to incorporate some file sharing aspects for the repositories atleast for the first week of release.

cdekter
April 26th, 2008, 03:23 PM
You could try this how-to:
Speed up your Synaptic downloads (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766442)

PartisanEntity
April 26th, 2008, 03:47 PM
You could change your software sources and look for a server that is not so busy, a temporary solution.

Dylanby
April 26th, 2008, 05:54 PM
The Canadian mirrors are horrendous. After experiencing near dial-up speeds I switched to the US servers.

I'm worried that people new to Linux/Ubuntu will form very unfavourable impressions based on this.