PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I/O Error; Error reading boot CD - when booting from the 8.04 desktop disc.

Tmi
April 25th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Hi.

I've downloaded "ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso" and burnt it using K3B. The sum checking in K3B passes without problem.

When I boot from this CD I get "I/O Error: Error reading boot CD" with the only option to restart the computer. This happens during "Loading Linux kernel" after starting to install. I get the same thing when checking the CD for errors (in the CD boot menu), i.e. it doesn't complete the check, the error appears before it's done.
I tried re-downloading the iso, but the same thing happens with the second disc.

I then decided to try the synaptic update method, but when I click the update button synaptic just greys out and no longer responds.

Has anyone had these problems? I'd really prefer a clean install from the disc.

Maybe my computer is trying to tell me not to install Hardy :)

Tmi
April 30th, 2008, 12:17 PM
After following the advice of some here on the forums to burn the iso at the lowest possible speed it turned out that this was the solution.

So if you have the same problem, lower your burn speed.

wavesailor
May 4th, 2008, 04:38 PM
After following the advice of some here on the forums to burn the iso at the lowest possible speed it turned out that this was the solution.

So if you have the same problem, lower your burn speed.

No Luck - Have the same problem as you as tried burning two CD's on the lowest speed on two different machines - Also downloaded from a n ISO from a different mirror but still no luck. It's on two older machines - P3 and AMD Duron 800Mhz - Both ran 7 version of uBuntu fine. :confused:

Anybody have any other suggestions?