PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cannot log in after upgrade to Hardy

cscj01
April 25th, 2008, 05:13 PM
After surviving the laborious on-line upgrade process from Gutsy to Hardy, I can no longer Log In to Hardy. When I try, I get an invalid password message. I booted in Safe mode and deleted the password for my account. Same Problem. I booted in Safe mode and added a password for my account. Same problem.

While I am not a computer novice, I am a Ubuntu/Linux user with only a small amount of experience.

I have a dual boot XP/Ubuntu system and have been using Gutsy for about four months. Most of the time spent in Ubuntu was working to get applications working correctly.

After the upgrade yesterday, I noticed two problems:

(1) I could not get Synaptic to connect to a site to upgrade/install any software;

(2) I did not have permissions I had had with Gutsy.

The only thing I did to address these was to add my User ID to the Root Group. This gave me the permissions I needed to accomplish some task (I cannot recall the task at the moment; I am still trying to recover from my ordeal of yesterday). I do not have any idea whether this action could cause me to not be able to Log In to Hardy.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I might try next? Thanks for any help you can offer.

[Added] Additionally, I have found the following: I had auto-login enabled with Gutsy, so every time I reboot, I get a message saying my session lasted less than 10 seconds. Then it goes to the login prompt where I cannot login due to invalid user and/or password.

The details of the message say permission is denied for libXmuu.so.1, libX11.so.6, and libcrypto.so.9.8 to be opened or loaded. Should I use chmod on these libraries, and if so, what settings should they have?

cscj01
April 27th, 2008, 01:35 AM
OK, since I received so much help, Ubuntu is no more on my computer. I do not like M$, but the Hardy Heron upgrade is a joke. Even with Vista, the system ran, albeit there were precious few drivers and hardware support was nonexistent. But you could boot the system, and you could access the Internet, and you could get your email, and ...

I really want to see Linux succeed and replace Windows as the dominant desktop operating system, but I feel there are many miles left to go before that will happen. Perhaps Ubuntu was too hasty in releasing Hardy Heron. However, I think a golden opportunity has been wasted after the Vista fiasco. Perhaps Ubuntu will recover from this debacle, but I feel many people will abandon ship now that XP will be around for much longer than M$ will admit. With a tried and true system that most people use and are comfortable with and many open source programs available for the XP platform, most will say Ubuntu is not worth it.

So, am I disappointed? Yes. I had Gutsy for three months and was looking forward to all the improvements trumpeted with Hardy. But I have to get work done, and I could not do that with this upgrade. I'm still rooting for Hardy, but someone else will have to debug it.

I have installed DOS, OS/VS1, DOS/VSE, VM, MVS, OS/400, AIX, PC DOS, MS DOS, OS/2, MS Windows, Windows ME, Windows XP, Vista, Red Hat Linux Desktop, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon, and many, many applications in my life. I have not installed Ubuntu Hardy Heron. It is the biggest disaster I have ever encountered in all the years I have worked in IT. You do not win hearts and minds with train wrecks, empty promises, or bludgeoning folks for not being flag wavers. You win hearts and minds by delivering products that work without users being aware of how or why they work. They just work. That's where Ubuntu needs to be to capture a significant share of the desktop market. I really hope they succeed.