PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Nautilus won't start

Victormd
April 25th, 2008, 04:13 PM
So yesterday I did a fresh install of Hardy and got everything working and all my progz installed, including compiz, my 8800GT graphics card, and all other hardware. I rebooted and everything worked fine.

This morning I tried to boot it and BOOMMMMM, I can't do anything!!! Nautilus didn't load and I have no icons/menus/panels... can't even open a terminal from X (can only get to a terminal by CTRL+ALT+F1). The funny thing is that Compiz is running because the cube and expo are working (????)...

Anyone have this happen to them? Any suggestions???

Victormd
April 25th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Sorry for bumping so fast but I really don't want to rely on windows to work (nor install the progz I need), all the progz that I use are in Ubuntu...

BUMP

Victormd
April 26th, 2008, 04:39 AM
So this was the error:

"Nautilus can't be used now due to an unexpected error.
Nautilus can't be used now, due to an unexpected error from bonobo when attempting to locate the factory. Killing bonobo-activation-server and restarting Nautilus may help fix the problem."

Devi 710
April 26th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I had this same problem after I did a fresh install and a few reboots after making the changes that I wanted.

I just restarted and everything has been fine since.

I hope you find a solution. I believe the error message tells you to disable the "Bonobo ..." something to do with networking that runs at startup.

If you could install the "bootup manager" I believe it is called (I used to have it in Gutsy) you can disable it. But with no desktop or terminal, it may prove to be difficult.

I wish you luck,

Devi

Victormd
April 27th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I tried killing bonobo-activation-server, rebooting, safe-mode, xfix, etc... and nothing worked for me. This was a very weird problem and I could not solve it so I simply reinstalled and everything is fine now... so far...

DenKain
April 27th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I am having the same problem. I boot up, login and all I see is my background image and two files I had on the desktop. I tried using ALT+F2 to try and start Nautilus and nothing happened. I used alt+ctrl+F2 to get into the terminal. I tried a sudo startx and got nothing put X with a background picture.

HELP!!

Kenda
April 27th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Victor, Are you still having a problem with this? Have you found a solution?

DenKain
April 27th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Also, I guess I forgot to say that neither my top or bottom panels are showing up. I tried to run killall gnome-panel using a bashfile and nothing worked. I know I can start nautilus using a bashfile but thats about it.

I got into the configuration editor but could not find an option in there to help restore nautilus and my panels.

Victormd
April 28th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Victor, Are you still having a problem with this? Have you found a solution?

I kind'a gave up. I had just installed and got the problem, waited a day or so and couldn't solve it so I figured it was easier/faster to reinstall. Now everything is working perfectly!!

I heard that removing the mono-common package and reinstalling it would do the trick but then it was too late for me to try so if you want, you can try
CTRL+ALT+F2 to get to a terminal and type

sudo apt-get remove mono-common
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get install mono-common

Also, read that removing and re-installing nautilus did the trick for some as well (again, saw this after I had reinstalled)

sudo apt-get remove nautilus
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get install nautilus
Please note that I did not try this so don't know if it will work or not...

I read that some people would simply

sudo killall bonobo-activation-server from the terminal and then CTRL+ALT+F7 to go back to X, CTRL+ALT+Backspace to restart X and everything would work again... I didn't have that luck...

DenKain
April 29th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Yeah I just reinstalled and all seems to be good.

zariok
May 4th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I had this problem only after installing Mono 1.9.1.

If you modify the ~/.bashrc and ~/.profile to remove all the references to the /home/YOURUSER/mono-1.9.1/* from PATH, PKG_CONFIG_PATH, MANPATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH gnome loads just fine. Apparently anything but mono 1.2.6 causes it to puke.

Once Gnome is loaded and you need to set your path for some development, execute ~/mono-1.9.1/bin/setup.sh