PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Not installing

+Synyster
April 25th, 2008, 04:01 PM
When I boot ubuntu 7.10 from the cd on my IBM Thinkpad T40 I choose the option to start or install. But before i can even install ubuntu it asks me for a username and password. I managed to get onto the installer using safe graphics mode but when it gets to around 49% it cuts out saying that some files could not be copied to the harddrive because the CD may be dirty. I cleaned the disc (that i got sent) back in the drive but i still get the same thing. Somethimes it cuts out at 15%.

Help appriciated

Cheers

FredB
April 25th, 2008, 04:07 PM
try rewriting the image you used to create the CD. You have to use the lower speed you can use with your burner.

+Synyster
April 25th, 2008, 04:10 PM
try rewriting the image you used to create the CD. You have to use the lower speed you can use with your burner.

I didnt write the cd I chose to get it sent to me so it should be fine

+Synyster
April 25th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Anyone else know what to do?

dstew
April 25th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Do the CD Integrity check (opening menu choice). Even thought the disk should be good, your reader might be having trouble with it anyway. Also, you can try to clean the lens on the CD reader -- there are kits for that kind of thing.

+Synyster
April 25th, 2008, 08:08 PM
now I can't install it at all It asks me to login all the time and I havnt even created a user yet

+Synyster
April 25th, 2008, 08:41 PM
now I can't install it at all It asks me to login all the time and I havnt even created a user yet

+Synyster
April 25th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Can anyone help with that?

dstew
April 26th, 2008, 12:39 AM
But before i can even install ubuntu it asks me for a username and password.When you boot the Live CD, it gives you an opening menu, the first choice is "Start or Install Ubuntu". When you choose that, it should start the Live CD desktop. It should not ask for a username and password. Where did you get that disk? That sounds strange. Anyway, try ubuntu as username and password, and see if that works.