PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade? Should I? if so, then a ? or shouldn't I?

KrGAce
April 25th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Hello,

I currently have Gutsy running incredibly well on my Dell Latitude D830. I have restricted drivers enabled and all desktop effects working great! Now i have tried upgrading to Hardy, however when I do I lose my graphics when I enable the restricted drivers.

My question is this, should I upgrade? If so, how can I keep my old drivers, or can I? Should I not upgrade because of the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it?" and will there be a driver for my card down the road.

I guess if I upgrade and don't enable restricted drivers i do have a system that works, however no eye candy, right now I have it all with Gutsy.

I welcome anyone's thoughts, suggestions, etc.

My video card in this laptop is an Nvidia NVS 135-140.

Many thanks in advance.

AceMan

Pumalite
April 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I adhere to the principle that if you have an OS that you like and work well, then stick to it. OTOH, Hardy Heron is the best OS I've seen comming down the pipe. I'd do a clean install though.

KrGAce
April 25th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Yeah I'd agree, but the new version features sound pretty cool. I am kind of between a rock and hard place, meaning I can upgrade and probably use the machine without the "eye candy" but where's the fun in that, or I could not upgrade and just be a revision behind. So far, I am sticking with Gutsy...but I hear a Heron calling... :)

AceMan