Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

brucewagner
March 4th, 2010, 02:42 AM
What's the difference between:

ubuntu-restricted-extras

....and medibuntu?

tiggsy
March 4th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I have to say a big thanks for this howto. I keep it on my subscribed threads list, and every time I do a major upgrade I come back, and it all works again. Brilliant!

Gentex
March 5th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Another voice in the chorus of thanks for this write-up. I had been trying (off and on) for a few months to get DVD playback working on my ubuntu machines until finding this thread. Within 15-20 minutes, I had my new machine all set up and playing DVDs with no problems. Thank you so much for your time and effort.

Gentex

Frudo
March 6th, 2010, 02:14 AM
This tutorial deserve a big thumbs up!

i have followed a couple of steps for the known flash problem. I was able to watch and listen flash pages with a manual control. lately i started using compiz , installed and performed lots of updates, This is a dell vostro , ubuntu karmic 64 bit, i realized i can no longer control flash say youtube, is a big fat pause. can be controlled by keyboard, space and arrows. I have purged the Mozilla codec (swfdec) by snaptics, then reinstalled flash and updated as for the tutorial. Still the same , i cant control sound or full screen nor skip.
Can i ask for some brains ?

Frudo
March 7th, 2010, 01:51 AM
After much more reading again , i was able to get it back to normal . Its strange that didnt work first time. As suggested , completely viped the flash, reinstalled again with the command provided. restarted , checked swf.. once more , performed updates by update manager. restarted , flash is back to my control , i donno what i missed last time , but any way , thanks alot for he tutorial again.
Frudo

Warprunner
March 7th, 2010, 05:58 AM
A VERY VERY nice piece of work and I can't thank you enough. I trashed my installation and am rebuilding things. This saved me COUNTLESS hours! Thank you!
Warprunner:KS

ubunlove
March 7th, 2010, 03:04 PM
This thread is exactly what i have been looking for. Thanks a lot for this. I believe my ubuntu skills will improve after i finish reading this guide. Keep up the good work.

Laxman_prodigy
March 10th, 2010, 11:41 AM
wget -q http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update
OK
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the list directory

On entering that command, it pops up like this. What am I doing wrong here?

Laxman_prodigy
March 10th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Why is it not able to install? It installed partly and when I ran it again it says this:

sudo apt-get remove gnash gnash-common libflashsupport mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla && sudo apt-get install alsa-oss faac faad flashplugin-nonfree gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse ia32-libs ia32-sun-java6-bin icedtea6-plugin libmp3lame0 non-free-codecs openjdk-6-jre unrar
[sudo] password for laxman:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package gnash is not installed, so not removed
Package gnash-common is not installed, so not removed
Package libflashsupport is not installed, so not removed
Package mozilla-plugin-gnash is not installed, so not removed
Package swfdec-mozilla is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Building dependency tree
alsa-oss is already the newest version.
faac is already the newest version.
faad is already the newest version.
gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg is already the newest version.
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad is already the newest version.
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse is already the newest version.
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly is already the newest version.
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse is already the newest version.
libmp3lame0 is already the newest version.
libmp3lame0 set to manually installed.
The following extra packages will be installed:
ca-certificates-java cabextract flashplugin-installer gsfonts-x11
icedtea-6-jre-cacao java-common lib32asound2 lib32bz2-1.0 lib32gcc1
lib32ncurses5 lib32nss-mdns lib32stdc++6 lib32v4l-0 lib32z1
libaccess-bridge-java libaccess-bridge-java-jni libamrnb3 libamrwb3
libc6-i386 libjline-java nspluginwrapper openjdk-6-jre-headless
openjdk-6-jre-lib rhino sun-java6-jre ttf-liberation
ttf-mscorefonts-installer tzdata-java ubuntu-restricted-extras w64codecs
Suggested packages:
xulrunner-1.9 konqueror-nsplugins msttcorefonts ttf-bitstream-vera
ttf-dejavu ttf-xfree86-nonfree xfs equivs lib32asound2-plugins
libjline-java-doc sun-java6-fonts ttf-kochi-gothic ttf-sazanami-gothic
ttf-kochi-mincho ttf-sazanami-mincho ttf-telugu-fonts ttf-oriya-fonts
ttf-kannada-fonts ttf-bengali-fonts rhino-doc sun-java6-plugin
ia32-sun-java6-plugin ttf-arphic-uming mplayer
The following NEW packages will be installed:
ca-certificates-java cabextract flashplugin-installer flashplugin-nonfree
gsfonts-x11 ia32-libs ia32-sun-java6-bin icedtea-6-jre-cacao icedtea6-plugin
java-common lib32asound2 lib32bz2-1.0 lib32gcc1 lib32ncurses5 lib32nss-mdns
lib32stdc++6 lib32v4l-0 lib32z1 libaccess-bridge-java
libaccess-bridge-java-jni libamrnb3 libamrwb3 libc6-i386 libjline-java
non-free-codecs nspluginwrapper openjdk-6-jre openjdk-6-jre-headless
openjdk-6-jre-lib rhino sun-java6-jre ttf-liberation
ttf-mscorefonts-installer tzdata-java ubuntu-restricted-extras unrar
w64codecs
0 upgraded, 37 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 10.1MB/103MB of archives.
After this operation, 341MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Err http://in.archive.ubuntu.com karmic-updates/main libc6-i386 2.10.1-0ubuntu16
Connection failed
Err http://in.archive.ubuntu.com karmic/multiverse sun-java6-jre 6-15-1
500 Internal Server Error
Failed to fetch http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/e/eglibc/libc6-i386_2.10.1-0ubuntu16_amd64.deb Connection failed
Failed to fetch http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/s/sun-java6/sun-java6-jre_6-15-1_all.deb 500 Internal Server Error
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

AldenIsZen
March 11th, 2010, 06:33 PM
What software sources to you have enabled?

heracles
March 12th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I have used your routine previously and it always worked in parts. Under the latest Karmic version which was an upgrade from the one before Jaunty. I had to do a lot of fiddling from your base settings to get video to run. Just recently I had occasion to reinstall karmic from scratch i.e. from a formatted disc . After installing I immediately used your routine for video playing. Everything works perfectly no fiddling no tweaking or anything. I will in future always do this. It would seem upgrading one;s Ubuntu version from an earlier one causes problems to you excellent and very easily installed routine. Hence my advice to anyone is before installing your video how-to start with a completely clean Ubuntu installation first.

Nisal
March 16th, 2010, 11:50 AM
i was downloading codecs using terminal nd it had stooped from here,why this happend?

http://i39.tinypic.com/200zs6o.png

ulriksvensson
March 16th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I followed this howto and it worked perfectly. However it didn't solve one particular issue I have. I'm using kde4 with ubuntu 9.10 and I can't hear any sound unless I run my music player with sudo. My user is in the audio group. Also, when I "preview" the mp3-file in dolphin the sound works.

I also run Spotify under wine and the works without sudo.

Sound works normal in Gnome but since I prefer kde I would like to have some tips on this issue.

//Ulrik

ulriksvensson
March 18th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I followed this howto and it worked perfectly. However it didn't solve one particular issue I have. I'm using kde4 with ubuntu 9.10 and I can't hear any sound unless I run my music player with sudo. My user is in the audio group. Also, when I "preview" the mp3-file in dolphin the sound works.

I also run Spotify under wine and the works without sudo.

Sound works normal in Gnome but since I prefer kde I would like to have some tips on this issue.

//Ulrik

Solved this by following this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578).

dondecap
March 24th, 2010, 12:11 AM
hi people,
I'm don and faily new to linux, I have used 'red hat' in the past,
my prob is that my webcam and built in mike [hercules glass optic] are not seen by the system. [using the latest version]
it is a 'usb' cam and I have installed the common 50x ...something like that driver but to no avail.
what comand lines may be needed to rectifie this please.
regards
don

F W Adams
March 26th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Hi, I was having trouble with this link where it says "Access Website Arcive, in Windows Media Player Format"
http://www.capitolconnection.net/capcon/cftc/032510/CFTCwebcast.htm

To try and fix the problem I tried this How To, which seems very comprehensive and I can see it's been useful to many others. Had no trouble executing all the instructions. Even after resetting the machine it still just opens a new window, displays various data but won't play. I'm using 8.04. Could someone just try the link and see if it works for them? Anyone any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

jimbob
March 26th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Works for me, however I tried it using Mint 9.10 which should be the same as the Ubuntu 9.10 release.
I'll try it later on one of my Ubuntu systems but I don't have anything with 8.04 on it.

JohnE1
March 28th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Really appreciate all the time and effort you put into this HOW-TO. Thank you!!!!

I have 1 request: Please add a section on setting up MIDI.

The Ubuntu Community MIDI docs seem to be out-dated.

1) It is no longer necessary to (install and) use Wine to decompress archived soundfiles.

The following page: http://www.melodymachine.com/sfark.htm
contains a link to: http://www.melodymachine.com/files/sfarkxtc_lx86.tar.gz

I downloaded and untarred it with no problem. I have yet to use it, but when I do, I'll try to remember to return here and let you know the outcome.

2) The repository mentioned for 'eawpatches' doesn't seem to contain 'eawpatches' anymore. After updating the sources.list and verifying it's really there, the file is not found. I did notice there was no key mentioned to insall for the repository, so, maybe this is part of the problem?!

Thanks, again for all the work you have done already!!

John

Pros_to
March 29th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Nice post, good job

JohnE1
March 30th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Really appreciate all the time and effort you put into this HOW-TO. Thank you!!!!

I have 1 request: Please add a section on setting up MIDI.

The Ubuntu Community MIDI docs seem to be out-dated.

1) It is no longer necessary to (install and) use Wine to decompress archived soundfiles.

The following page: http://www.melodymachine.com/sfark.htm
contains a link to: http://www.melodymachine.com/files/sfarkxtc_lx86.tar.gz

I downloaded and untarred it with no problem. I have yet to use it, but when I do, I'll try to remember to return here and let you know the outcome.

2) The repository mentioned for 'eawpatches' doesn't seem to contain 'eawpatches' anymore. After updating the sources.list and verifying it's really there, the file is not found. I did notice there was no key mentioned to insall for the repository, so, maybe this is part of the problem?!

Thanks, again for all the work you have done already!!

John

As promised, here's my results:

sfark does indeed work; I used it to uncompress some sound files successfully. I ended up using eawpatches. I went to the eawpatches site, added the repository and their keyring from instructions on the 'eawpatches' site. MIDI is working now!

Thanks!

John

Ichido
April 1st, 2010, 07:04 PM
I've tried everything but my 9.10 will not play Factory DVDs
It will play my 'DVD X-COPY' Copies!
When I boot from my PUPPY-4.3 USB Drive, I can Play Factory and Copies of DVDS with the gxine that is in Puppy!
I followed the instructions from ubuntu-freak's post "Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto, REVISED ON SATURDAY 28TH NOVEMBER, 2009".
I have Un-installed then reinstalled xgine, gine, VLC, Totem Movie Player, MMovie Player and rebooted, but still no Factory DVD play.
Any advice please?

jimbob
April 1st, 2010, 07:18 PM
What messages do you get?

Have you tried VLC player at all?

Ichido
April 1st, 2010, 07:31 PM

I have tried xgine, gine, VLC, Totem Movie Player, MMovie Player.

The Error Messages from VLC are "Cannot Read Disc", "Cannot Decrypt Disc", "Check to see if disc is blank".

xgine, Movie Player and MMovie Player just Freeze everything and I have to Power-Off and Reboot.

Puppy WILL play both the Factory & Copied Discs with xgine!

Ubuntu WILL only play my Copies.

The same Laptop Playedf Both Factory And Cpoied DVD using 8.04, 8.10 & 9.04!

Ichido
April 1st, 2010, 07:34 PM

Yes, see my posts.

jimbob
April 1st, 2010, 07:45 PM
Check and see if you have libdvdcss2, libdvdnav4 and libdvdread4 installed.

Ichido
April 1st, 2010, 11:51 PM
Check and see if you have libdvdcss2, libdvdnav4 and libdvdread4 installed.

Have *nav4 and *resd4 but missing *css2.
Installed libdvdcss2 and Presto, It Works!
Many Thanks to jimbob !!!

Please Mark Solved.

voscom
April 2nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
Thank you reassuringlyoffensive,
your tutorial is really perfectly done!

haddog
April 2nd, 2010, 09:50 PM
Great post

ubuntubrian
April 4th, 2010, 12:53 AM
From Sodear's post from January-the same problem that I have. Firefox-3.6 in Karmic 64bit:

After following your instruction for playing streaming video, I returned to the point 'click here' which brought up a QuickTime trailer page: but could not play any of them. A bar would appear below the video screen and would appear to be loading till 100% but then the play button had no effect. Another set of control buttons, more or less grayed out with a run arrow also appeared below, but no joy there either.

I get the controls and a window in which the quicktime vid should play and nothing happens. I can click the controls but nothing, no matter how long I wait for it to load.
Any help?

ubuntubrian
April 4th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I installed mozilla-mplayer as per the how-to and tried again and now I get the mplayer embedded player when I try an Apple trailer. However, clicking on play shows the playlist loading and then "stopped". I can play this test quicktime movie:

http://mac.sillydog.org/qt/mov/embed_s3.php
but the other 2 test movies on the page will not play.

Maybe this means something?

ssdt
April 5th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Great topic, shows everything and now no one can call Linux sucks with media.

johntempler
April 6th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I am a relatively new user with Ubuntu 9.10 and Firefox 3.5.8 installed. I had trouble streaming audio from the BBC (Radio 4 - Today) website. I was getting the circle of dots and nothing else was happening. I saw your suggestions about BBC playback. The solution I found was:
in Firefox, go to Tools, Add ons, Plugins. The list (in my case but which is probably common):

DivX webplayer 1.4.0.233
Quick Time 7.2.0
Shockwave Flash 10.0.r32
VLC Multi Media 2.28.2
Windows Media Player Plug-in 10

I found that disabling DivX webplayer, the BBC audio stream suddenly worked.

Hope this is useful.

John

drewsus
April 12th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Is there a way to make gecko-mediaplayer download your streams?
mozilla-mplayer (mplayerplug-in.conf) was able to do this (as shown in this tut)

Drew

klytu
April 14th, 2010, 01:38 AM
From Sodear's post from January-the same problem that I have. Firefox-3.6 in Karmic 64bit:

I get the controls and a window in which the quicktime vid should play and nothing happens. I can click the controls but nothing, no matter how long I wait for it to load.
Any help?

This tip from Linux Journal may help (it worked for me):

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/tech-tip-view-apple-movie-trailers-firefox-linux (http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/tech-tip-view-apple-movie-trailers-firefox-linux)

rifter
April 15th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I am hoping to find some insight from this thread. I realize that bug reports are the best place to put stack traces and such but I think this must be an error arising from something I installed.
What is happening is that gnome-volume-control (the sound preferences) segfaults when I start it. The applet, which shows in the bar at the top, is fine and sound is still working. Until very recently all of this worked.
I have been having some weirdness after installing a bunch of fonts (including the appearance applet and firefox crashing, and some apps like xchat having messed up font rendering), so this may be related to that. I had also recently installed libsdl1.2debian-all; I believe that before I had libsdl1.2debian-alsa installed. One of the logs is from when I put that library to libsdl1.2debian-esd, when potentially more meaningful errors occurred. Since that did not work I reinstalled libsdl1.2debian-all for all further traces. Unfortunately whether I have -esd, -alsa, -pulseaudio, or -all gnome-volume-control still crashes, so I am guessing that this library is not the cause of the problem. Besides, on a different machine I had installed libsdl1.2debian-esd as part of getting gfceux working and never had this problem.
You will notice I have multiple gdb and valgrind traces. You can probably ignore all but the last one because what was happening is that as I read the previous traces and noted what libraries, etc needed debug symbols I went and installed them. The last traces have all possible debug symbols. Unfortunately even ddeb does not seem to have a debugging symbol package for gnome-media, although I did use the --debug option for gnome-volume-control to give better information. I also included my .xsession-errors in this tarball.
I was following the following pages in creating this debug report:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProgramCrash
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Backtrace
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Valgrind
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Strace

I look forward to hearing any suggestions as to how I can get this control back or do further troubleshooting. Unfortunately I did not see anything in these debug traces that seemed helpful to me, but someone who is more used to reading them might notice something.

Edit:
I submitted a bug report for this, but when I was looking into what was going on with my appearance control panel I ran into this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pango-graphite/+bug/404681

This turns out to be caused by pango-graphite

pango-graphite broke my gnome-volume-control as well as gnome-appearance-properties by causing segfaults. It also caused xchat to break as far as how it renders fonts (the end of the line would get cut off and some words would be mashed together ... highlighting the line revealed the beginning and end that were cut off) , and, I am sure, caused instability in Firefox (constant crashes just from running it). Uninstalling pango-graphite fixed the appearance as well as the volume control problem.

This also fixed a problem where the following programs crashed when trying to open or save files (which had started after pango-graphite was installed): gnumeric, openoffice (calc), gimp, kspread
All of those started working again when I uninstalled pango-graphite.

cheapodonuts
April 15th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Updating Multimedia & Video packages makes my terminal go blue.

I'm just going through the instructions from OP (thanx) for Karmic and my terminal flips to java config or something, I get this.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/chashugh/Screenshot-2.png

There's an <ok> at the bottom of it, but nothing for me to click on to say go.

Will it work if I just close that terminal and carry on? :(:confused: Help!

Thanx. :)

cheapodonuts
April 15th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Right.
Closed the terminal. Went to Synaptic package manager and found the Java items waiting there, and lots of recommended packages. Installed all of them. Then allowed Ubuntu to update all. Then came back and went through the multimedia howto again.
All sorted now. :guitar::guitar::guitar:

brucewagner
April 16th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Any differences involved in using this "How To" on Lucid 10.04 ...?

( I'm already running the 32-bit beta-2 of Lucid now. I will install the Full Release version as soon as it comes out, in 14 days. It seems to have basically all the same media playback issues at 9.10, as far as I can tell so far. )

prue
April 16th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the big advice.
I keep trying to come over to Ubuntu, but there is always frustration with something and for a long time it has been sound. (Often no internet no matter what, too)
Only mp3 would ever play in some installations, others none.

Now it is working (still no midi files - but at last video plays!:)
ONLY,,,, the sound is almost non existent even on full volume. :(

The system is using hda Intel alc662 but only analog. Pulse doesn't work.
Any advice as to progs to use or other things to check would be greatly appreciated.

Prue

jimbob
April 16th, 2010, 01:14 PM
RE: post #1539

That is normal (albeit somewhat confusing). All you have to do at that point is hit the tab key and the OK will light up red. Hit enter and you're on your way.

drreed
April 17th, 2010, 02:51 AM
from looking over these commands, it seems like this is a comprehensive guide to remove anything related to kde and replace it with gnome. I can't use gnome. I see a lot of g prefixes on things.

I don't know much about desktop environments. Will this break something with 8.10 & kde3?

VeeDubb
April 17th, 2010, 03:39 AM
redacted

Hal1ow3en
April 19th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I'm having difficulty getting dvd playback to work, I think the problem is failing to connect to the medibuntu packages.

(try: 3) http://packages.medibuntu.org/pool/free/libd/libdvdcss/libdvdcss2_1.2.10-0.2medibuntu1_amd64.deb
failed: Connection timed out.
Retrying.

also I fail to connect with
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

Thats just with the preparation section manual method doesn't seem to help either.

I've looked at different methods but none give me success.

brucewagner
April 20th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Linux Mint might be 99% compatible with standard Ubuntu, but I know of at least one application that works on Ubuntu but not on Mint. It is remastersys.

Because remastersys is essential to what we do, and because I assume there are other applications which won't work 100% correctly on Mint, we decided to stick with genuine Ubuntu.

However, the version we use is called SuperOS. Google it. It is 100% Ubuntu + all the multimedia stuff done for you.

If you want 101% of the multimedia stuff, do what we do. Start with SuperOS and then follow the steps in the "Multimedia How To" in the Ubuntu Forums. ( this thread )

After that, use remastersys to replicate the entire thing on as many machines as you want.

walterav
April 20th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Linux Mint might be 99% compatible with standard Ubuntu, but I know of at least one application that works on Ubuntu but not on Mint. It is remastersys.

Because remastersys is essential to what we do, and because I assume there are other applications which won't work 100% correctly on Mint, we decided to stick with genuine Ubuntu.

However, the version we use is called SuperOS. Google it. It is 100% Ubuntu + all the multimedia stuff done for you.

If you want 101% of the multimedia stuff, do what we do. Start with SuperOS and then follow the steps in the "Multimedia How To" in the Ubuntu Forums. ( this thread )

After that, use remastersys to replicate the entire thing on as many machines as you want.

Strange, because remastersys dist option works for me in linuxmint 8.

brucewagner
April 20th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Strange, because remastersys dist option works for me in linuxmint 8.

I read about problems with that. I read about it in the Remastersys Forums.

brucewagner
April 20th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Is anyone else testing the "final freeze" release candidate of Ubuntu Lucid Lynx LTS 10.04 .....? ( Get it here: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/lucid/beta2 and see... http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/ )

SO FAR... to my astonishment... It seems to play all my media... "out of the box"....

By that I mean, by following the default links whenever prompted for "Search for Suitable Plugins?" ....or.... "Search for Suitable Codecs?" ....and just clicking Yes... Next... Ok... Yeah... Yes... Ok...

And it works!

Can your 9.10 do that....? I think not. :)

Give me some media to test!

YouTube - check
MP3s - check
MP4 movies - check
AVI movies - check
BBC News site videos - check
Adobe Flash Player test side - check
Commercial DVD in Totem Movie Player- check, it works
Commercial DVD in VLC - check, it works Much Better
Commercial DVD ripping using DVDRip - check
Vimeo.com - check
Ustream.tv - check
Hulu.com - check
Brightcove.com customer properties - check
NBC.com - "Sorry but we do not support that browser, please use one of these: Windows, Mac"
CBS.com - check
ABC.com - check

What else should I test?

bance
April 21st, 2010, 01:08 PM
HI, guys,

Thanks for a great post, worked flawlessly on a new install, on an atom/ ion nettop.

I'm now trying to work through this fix on a much older intel celeron D machine, it has anATI radeon 9550 graphics card.

In section 1, the automatic (quick) method returns errors/timeouts........ So I tried the manual method, ok.... until the install (wget -q....etc)

I get thus far and terminal just hangs!

any ideas anyone? I'm just into my second day with Linux:P

TIA Steve.

Thx to Morbius 1..... Apparently medibuntu server is down, so you have to use a mirror

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9153230#post9153230

brucewagner
April 25th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Any idea yet on whether there are any changes to this How To for Lucid Lynx 10.04...?

walterav
April 26th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Is anyone else testing the "final freeze" release candidate of Ubuntu Lucid Lynx LTS 10.04 .....? ( Get it here: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/lucid/beta2 and see... http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/ )

SO FAR... to my astonishment... It seems to play all my media... "out of the box"....

By that I mean, by following the default links whenever prompted for "Search for Suitable Plugins?" ....or.... "Search for Suitable Codecs?" ....and just clicking Yes... Next... Ok... Yeah... Yes... Ok...

And it works!

YouTube - check
MP3s - check
MP4 movies - check
AVI movies - check
Vimeo.com - check
Ustream.tv - check
Hulu.com - check
NBC.com - "Sorry but we do not support that browser, please use one of these: Windows, Mac"
CBS.com - check
ABC.com - check

What else should I test?

You should check trailers.apple.com, just curious...

brucewagner
April 26th, 2010, 08:46 PM
You should check trailers.apple.com, just curious...

Yes. It works perfectly.

(However, for some odd reason, the volume defaults to a level of 0 in Sound Preferences, Applications. But once you increase that volume, it works perfectly.)

cheapodonuts
April 26th, 2010, 10:00 PM

And it works!

YouTube - check
MP3s - check
MP4 movies - check
AVI movies - check
Vimeo.com - check
Ustream.tv - check
Hulu.com - check
CBS.com - check
ABC.com - check

What else should I test?

Liking the sound of that, well done Bruce.
I've belatedly installed Karmic, and have to confess to being disappointed with the multimedia performance yet again.
BUT I'M NOT COMPLAINING TOO MUCH, as all this is only available to us via the goodness of heart and enthusiasm of the jolly Linux community folk. =D> =D>=D>=D>=D>=D>
They all deserve a free donut!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/chashugh/Donuts-1.png

no0ne
April 27th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Hey, thought everyone needs to see this. There are several high risk vulnerabilities in VLC version 1.0.5 goldeneye and below.

The various vulnerabilities are triggered by a contaminated file, which makes this high risk in my books, since everyone tends to watch some media off or over the net and in most cases the media is hard to verify since signatures are still a rare commodity. Also keep in mind that vlc has browser integration, which i think is installed by default in most cases.

Current mainstream repositories still offer 1.0.2 goldeneye, which is way below from what I've come to expect of Ubuntu.

Here's a link to the advisory.
http://www.videolan.org/security/sa1003.html

and my respective solution, though it needs a repository of it's own:
http://www.getdeb.net/software/VLC - contains a decent version (1.0.6) of VLC mediaplayer.

And finally, a repository for those of you who know what you're doing
http://www.getdeb.net/updates/ubuntu/9.10/#how_to_install

Some other repos to keep you safe (I know you'll need to find a respective new repo since the release of Lucid is only a couple of days ahead and all, but this should get you on the right track.

Mozilla Daily Builds (Several high risk vulnerabilities recently.)
ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa

Wine
ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa

KDE (For Kubuntu users.)
ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports

Sun Microsystems (VirtualBox)
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Moozillaaa
April 28th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Is there a troubleshoot sequence for PVR card capture in VLC? or ANY media player?

I know I have one setting wrong somewhere; this box brings in video (no sound tho') in WindowsMM, and MPC, when XP is booted up...

Help?

jerrylamos
April 29th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Is anyone else testing the "final freeze" release candidate of Ubuntu Lucid Lynx LTS 10.04 .....?

Oh, yes. Time and again. Still busted as shipped. Lucid 10.04 is unstable on i845 video graphics 2 gHz Celeron and on i830 video graphics IBM Thinkpad. At random totally unexpected intervals screen goes black and pc is dead. Period.

Two things to do. First turn KMS off:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
replace "splash" with "i915.modeset=0"
save
sudo update-grub

Second get rid of the very buggy patched intel driver
sudo gedit /etc/X11
key in
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection
save xorg.conf

then reboot. This ditches a bunch of the tricky new "features" ubuntu is doing. And "vesa" might not work on all varieties of intel graphics (Ever hear of Intel? must be a small company no one uses...).

Oh, yes, Karmic is rock solid on my intel pc's....just not Lucid. They picked the wrong one for LTS from my standpoint.

Jerry

ilamythest
April 30th, 2010, 12:39 PM
on the next revision for this tutorial, could you please include a multimedia how-to for l-ubuntu? I really like it, but can't seem to get flash, java and multimedia working in it, and I'm not computer smart enough to figure it out without some copy and paste action. Thank you.

bashphoenux
May 1st, 2010, 02:21 AM
please update this thread for LUCID LYNX !:)

Elwood72
May 2nd, 2010, 10:23 AM
please update this thread for LUCID LYNX !:)

Seconded.....please? :cool:

I'm having some issues,but the only solutions I can find are for older versions.

MC707
May 2nd, 2010, 09:08 PM
Awesome guide - easy, simple, to the point. Worked like a charm. Especial thanks for the laptop tap+typing problem.

rifter
May 10th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Oh, yes. Time and again. Still busted as shipped. Lucid 10.04 is unstable on i845 video graphics 2 gHz Celeron and on i830 video graphics IBM Thinkpad. At random totally unexpected intervals screen goes black and pc is dead. Period.

Two things to do. First turn KMS off:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
replace "splash" with "i915.modeset=0"
save
sudo update-grub

Second get rid of the very buggy patched intel driver
sudo gedit /etc/X11
key in
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection
save xorg.conf

then reboot. This ditches a bunch of the tricky new "features" ubuntu is doing. And "vesa" might not work on all varieties of intel graphics (Ever hear of Intel? must be a small company no one uses...).

Oh, yes, Karmic is rock solid on my intel pc's....just not Lucid. They picked the wrong one for LTS from my standpoint.

Jerry

If vesa doesn't work on an Intel chip, it's not because someone forgot about Intel, it's because Intel forgot about the vesa standard. For over 20 years every vga-capable video card has been supposed to support vesa, but there have been a few in the last 10 that did not. All of those (at least in my experience) did so deliberately in order to lock into one OS (guess which one). The first one I encountered like that was an incredibly expensive card, too, and as I recall it was a bust because the drivers sucked and it only worked in Windows.

anothernewuser
May 12th, 2010, 01:11 AM
I followed the steps in the guide (umm ... I think I did anyway) and have a fair bit more media functionality than I used to in my 8.04 LTS. VLC ... never heard of it until I saw this guide and it's a good addition. Thanks so much for the work put into this.

I have a bit of an oddity that I can work around but wouldn't mind fixing if there's some known way. If I use the drop-down options to launch VLC (Applications>Sound and Video>VLC) then it can play the DVD I currently have in there (Gladiator - good flick) with no issues... however, if I right-click on the "Gladiator" icon on my desktop and select 'Open with "VLC Movie Player"' then the DVD doesn't play right. It's reaaaaaaally slow, video is choppy, sound isn't great, can crash the system.

As I really am a new user I'm content to launch the DVD in the way that works ... but the little techie buried somewhere inside trying to get out would feel better if I could understand this and make it work right.

Is this a known thing? I've poked around a bit on these forums and some other places (god bless Psychocats!) trying to find an answer and will continue but so far no luck with this particular issue.

Thanks for any and all input :)

rifter
May 12th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I followed the steps in the guide (umm ... I think I did anyway) and have a fair bit more media functionality than I used to in my 8.04 LTS. VLC ... never heard of it until I saw this guide and it's a good addition. Thanks so much for the work put into this.

I have a bit of an oddity that I can work around but wouldn't mind fixing if there's some known way. If I use the drop-down options to launch VLC (Applications>Sound and Video>VLC) then it can play the DVD I currently have in there (Gladiator - good flick) with no issues... however, if I right-click on the "Gladiator" icon on my desktop and select 'Open with "VLC Movie Player"' then the DVD doesn't play right. It's reaaaaaaally slow, video is choppy, sound isn't great, can crash the system.

As I really am a new user I'm content to launch the DVD in the way that works ... but the little techie buried somewhere inside trying to get out would feel better if I could understand this and make it work right.

Is this a known thing? I've poked around a bit on these forums and some other places (god bless Psychocats!) trying to find an answer and will continue but so far no luck with this particular issue.

Thanks for any and all input :)

I'm willing to bet that the difference is in the command line arguments being used when you launch from the menu, probably the video or audio output options. You can make whatever is there default whenever vlc is loaded even bare by setting the preferences. Right click on the Applications menu and choose Edit menus, then find the vlc menu item and check the properties to see what the command line arguments are there.
Whatever is there you can set in preferences and then even if vlc is launched with no arguments it will work the same. If you need help with that just post what it says there.

anothernewuser
May 12th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Okie dokie ... with you half way so far ...

And thank you so much for your help ...

If I get what you've asked ... When I get to the VLC Launcher Properties - then Command is a simple looking "vlc %U"

When you say "Whatever is there you can set in preferences" - where do you mean I should do that?

Thank you so much again :)

rifter
May 12th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Okie dokie ... with you half way so far ...

And thank you so much for your help ...

If I get what you've asked ... When I get to the VLC Launcher Properties - then Command is a simple looking "vlc %U"

When you say "Whatever is there you can set in preferences" - where do you mean I should do that?

Thank you so much again :)

Well, it seems that you have the default there which is just to launch vlc with no arguments, at least as I understand Ubuntu's menu system. So the question is if you go to System -> Preferences -> Preferred Applications and then to the Multimedia tab what does it have there for the command?

I was thinking that at some point the -vo o r-ao command line arguments in the menu had been added, or something else that affects it, but there is a chance that there are some arguments enumerated in the Preferred Applications preferences. If it is not that we have to look further I think.

There are settings in the vlc preferences that will give you smoother operations, but you said that when you launch form the menu then open the dvd it is fine.

anothernewuser
May 12th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Hmmm ... VLC doesnt even appear there ...

Under the Multimedia I can select Rhythmbox Music Player or Totem Movie Player ... but nothing to choose VLC at all.

Perhaps I didn't get it fully installed or set up correctly?

rifter
May 12th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Hmmm ... VLC doesnt even appear there ...

Under the Multimedia I can select Rhythmbox Music Player or Totem Movie Player ... but nothing to choose VLC at all.

Perhaps I didn't get it fully installed or set up correctly?

No, there is nothing wrong there. I forgot that you were right-clicking. The setting there is just for what happens when you double-click.

There is another possibility here. Does the movie stutter for awhile and then eventually settle down? Because I notice that when I first launch one of these apps it uses more cpu right off while it is loading up; maybe it's just thrashing at the beginning and when you do it the other way you are loading it and waiting for it to get all settled and then starting the movie.

Some settings that are in preferences that make vlc smoother, which might help anyway (on my system I have "show settings" in the preferences set to "all" so you'll want to switch for yours to show up in the same places) under Tools -> Preferences:

Video -> Output modules: set this to X11 video output
Audio -> Output modules: I think this is Pulseaudio by default; you might try "simple directmedia layer" or "alsa" here. I had Pulseaudio there for awhile but I set it to sdl after doing some stuff to sdl. People's milage varies based on their sound card and other factors.

Advanced: Check "Allow real-time priority" and set "Adjust VLC priority" to -1 (this is the "nice" value and basically makes it one level better off than most of the other processes in terms of cpu timeslices)
Also check "Allow only one running instance" and "One instance when started from a file"

Memory Copy Module: let this alone for now; what you pick there depends on your cpu type.

Advanced -> CPU features: all these should be checked by default

Now the thing is, whatever you already have in preferences are the settings that are being used whether you launch from the menu or launch by opening the file, as far as I can tell based on what you have said so far. So changing this stuff might improve performance, which might help, but it doesn't answer the question of why you are having this problem except by the guess that there are more resources being used simultaneously with the loading of the movie if you start VLC from right clicking a file rather than opening VLC then opening the movie, if that makes sense.

anothernewuser
May 12th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Ummm I wouldn't say it wobbles for a bit. If it launches the "working" way there's on momentary pause about 15 seconds in then it goes happily on its way ... If I try to launch it the "right-click" way often it won't launch at all ...and if it does the quality is atrocious to be honest and it never does settle down.

I found and reset the options you've suggest though I couldn't find anything like "Allow only one running instance" or "One instance when started from a file"

I'll be happy to launch it the "long" way for now I think.

Thank you so much for you help and advice Rifter.

grey26
May 12th, 2010, 04:10 AM
wow great help and works

bravo sierra echo
May 13th, 2010, 12:08 AM
This no longer works for Lucid Lynx.

Everything comes back as "already installed," but video and audio files that used to work under Koala no longer play.

I managed to get MP3s working, but I've got a mix of different video files, and lots that used to work no longer do (wmv, flv, some sorts of mpg - there have always been to many video formats!).

When trying to open them, the OS searches for a suitable codec but comes back with the error, "no packages with the requested plugins found."

The trusty VLC still works, but I would really like to get the codecs installed so that Movie Player will continue to work too!

Can the instructions on page one of this thread be updated please?

Otherwise, I've still got my Koala install disc and will go back to that...

jimbob
May 13th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I found that by using these two commands from the OP that everything worked fine for me. It automatically went to the lucid repositories and found everything it needed (including the w32codecs). If you used some of the manual methods then your mileage may vary.

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/`lsb_release -cs`.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list; sudo apt-get -q update; sudo apt-get --yes -q --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring; sudo apt-get -q update

sudo apt-get remove gnash gnash-common libflashsupport mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla && sudo apt-get install alsa-oss faac faad flashplugin-nonfree gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gstreamer0.10-pitfdll libmp3lame0 non-free-codecs sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin unrar

bravo sierra echo
May 13th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks, Jimbob, but still no joy. Those all seemed to install this time, but my videos still won't play. I'll give it a week or so, see if anyone comes up with any suggestions, and then go back to Karmic Koala if not.

Many thanks anyway!

Bigneil
May 13th, 2010, 09:46 PM
cheers jimbob :)

Geos
May 15th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Thanks jimbob !!! :) Worked a treat !!

ysNoi
May 17th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I found that by using these two commands from the OP that everything worked fine for me. It automatically went to the lucid repositories and found everything it needed (including the w32codecs). If you used some of the manual methods then your mileage may vary.

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/`lsb_release -cs`.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list; sudo apt-get -q update; sudo apt-get --yes -q --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring; sudo apt-get -q update

sudo apt-get remove gnash gnash-common libflashsupport mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla && sudo apt-get install alsa-oss faac faad flashplugin-nonfree gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gstreamer0.10-pitfdll libmp3lame0 non-free-codecs sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin unrar

Good works....! I can now play my rmvb files too...

Thanks for the hands jimbob...

tiggsy
May 17th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I get
E: Couldn't find package non-free-codecs

This is on a fresh install of Lucid, (which won't play dvds)

UPDATE:

After I ran all the stuff on here (which worked, despite the missing codecs), I went and did the comprehensive video one, and there were also missing bits on there, which stopped my dvds from playing. I found http://yopensource.com/en/news/ubuntu-latest-news/1791-install-mplayer-and-multimedia-codecs-libdvdcss2w32codecsw64codecs-in-ubuntu-1004-lucid-lynx where they tell you how to get the missing codecs for that, and thought it worth trying
apt-get install non-free-codecs again (having added the repository they specified) - and it worked.

yeleek
May 17th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Hi,

Just replaced 9.10 with Lucid. Completed the steps I wanted as per page 1 (below). All works with one slight change. Just tested and all working.

<enable partner repo> - Sun Java is not in standard Repos now.

sudo apt-get remove kaffeine-mozilla mozilla-helix-player mozilla-mplayer mozilla-plugin-vlc totem-mozilla xine-plugin

<complained about missing helix player - but was trying to remove anyway>

sudo apt-get install gnome-mplayer gecko-mediaplayer

sudo apt-get install soundconverter audacity oggconvert

sudo apt-get install avidemux ffmpeg winff

sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2 libdvdread4 libdvdnav4 vlc

sudo apt-get install dvdrip

sudo apt-get install avidemux devede todiscgui tovidgui

Ba7r
May 26th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Hi,

I didn't know in which category I can post this problem, so excuse me if I did post It in the wrong place, 1st I'm a new user for UBUNTU and I faced a problem that there's a conflict between the UBUNTU and any Flash " like Flash chat & Flash games " the problem that It reads the Arabic " inversed ", SO I don't know how to fix It, because I don't want to back to WINDOWS, so PLEASE I need some help in this ISSUE, if there's any solutions??

Regards
Muhammed

Throne777
May 26th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Does anyone know how to get Songbird to play .wma files? I have lots of them from when I was running Windows. I heard it has something to do with Gstreamer, but I'm fairly sure I have all the codecs (good, bad and the ugly) installed. Thoughts?

stillious
May 27th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Does anyone know how to get Songbird to play .wma files? I have lots of them from when I was running Windows. I heard it has something to do with Gstreamer, but I'm fairly sure I have all the codecs (good, bad and the ugly) installed. Thoughts?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=954807

cheapodonuts
May 29th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Although I will never go back to using Microsoft products if I can avoid it, I'm sadly still frustrated, even after using this guide, to still have appallingly slow viewing of Flash videos like Youtube, and BBC iplayer, and kaffeine starts but never plays when I try the Real player tests.
:(:(

Any help would be appreciated.

I currently have 10.04 Lucid running on an Athlon 2400+with 640meg RAM and a Radeon 9250

VMC
June 8th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Although I will never go back to using Microsoft products if I can avoid it, I'm sadly still frustrated, even after using this guide, to still have appallingly slow viewing of Flash videos like Youtube, and BBC iplayer, and kaffeine starts but never plays when I try the Real player tests.
:(:(

I currently have 10.04 Lucid running on an Athlon 2400+with 640meg RAM and a Radeon 9250

Are you using Firefox or Chrome?
I only use Chrome, and most utube video works well.

ACGilbert
June 10th, 2010, 12:45 AM

cheapodonuts,
Flash on 10.04 Lucid wouldn't work for me either. All I could get on most sites was a black box w/o any video.
I went to 10.1 r53 version of Flash and am now a happy camper with Lucid.
AC

pme 72
June 12th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I just did a fresh install of Lucid 32 bit and the available flash seems to work well.

Specs:
Compaq desktop
AMD 3500+ processor
3 GB ram
ATI HD4550 graphics card

GlennW
June 15th, 2010, 04:07 AM
I don't know if this post is in the right place but I'll post it here any way.

How can I convert a downloaded iso file (not a linux distro) to an avi or mp4 file?

Thanks.

proggy
June 15th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I use DEVEDE ,it`s in the repos

MoebusNet
June 24th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I don't know if anyone else has run into this, but after following all of the instructions here I still kept getting the "Update your Flash Player" message. I noticed that Firefox still had Flash 9 listed under Add-ons, so in desperation I completely uninstalled Firefox (including configuration files) then reinstalled it using Synaptic. Now I can finally view Flash videos on the Comedy Channel!

I hope this helps someone.

BTW, thanks very much for maintaining this thread!!!!!

yelloaeo
June 30th, 2010, 09:10 AM
It is a very good idea.I need your help.

bwallum
July 1st, 2010, 12:27 AM
It is a very good idea.I need your help.First, welcome to the forum. How can we help?

cornelis spronk
July 4th, 2010, 08:45 PM
After a new installation of Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 on my older Sony VAIO my WiFi card was working fine in connecting to the internet.

On installing

OPTION 1, GECKO MEDIA PLAYER

something happened that made it impossible to connect with the internet using my wifi card.

Using "System-->Administration-->Hardware Drivers" the driver showed up as being active, yet I could not contact the internet.

I connected up my computer using a hard wire to the router.

On uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless driver, connection to the internet was reestablished.

Information can be found on

http:///linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

I did not do this, but I think the following command in terminal would have worked. It is simpler than what I did.

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

docopry
July 4th, 2010, 11:43 PM
ok - this worked on my desktop -when i tried the first command (from my laptop) from the terminal, i got:

E: Type 'gksudo' is not known on line 54 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.

not sure what i have done/not done.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

jason

cmckdub
July 8th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I changed from 9.04 to 10.04. I did this by doing a fresh install while maintaining my home as a separate partition.
All went well, except that Flash did not work in Firefox (but did in Chrome). Removing and installing flash did not help.
So, I used synaptic to completely remove all Flash. I also deleted any files whose names contain flash in any subdirectory of ~/.mozilla. I then reinstalled Adobe-flashplugin using synaptic, and it worked.

freeediver
July 9th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I'm still using 8.04 and now my streaming video has stopped working after my last (almost) update.
I have tried both the package manager and "site" adobe to update to the latest version but it has not helped. I am not able to watch streaming video now.
Adobe says I have 10.1 currently installed, youtube says I still need to update.

Linuxforall
July 10th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Since Karmic when Skype was updated to use Pulse package, all I hear is popping noise with the sound, I have old Yamaha DSXG Waveforce card with 724 chip, if I don't use Skype or Pidgin, sound stays OK for Rythmbox, vlc etc, moment I use Skype or Pidgin, the sound starts distorting heavily and remains like that with any sound event from any program till I reboot. Now I have moved to Kubuntu and still using Skype there, this situation doesn't happen there, probably because KDE doesn't use Pulse thankfully. I know Pulse has come a long way and Skype is a closed source program and therefore work is quite difficult on it, but there has to be a simpler way of turning off pulse during install for Ubuntu to prevent this issue, otherwise its live with noise which is just not possible.

cheapodonuts
July 11th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Have to confess, I've reverted to Intrepid. Just so I can view flash. I've used this how to so many times over the years, and had good and not so good results, depending on the OS installed at the time.
But now, I have seen that my system is always running the CPU at 100% when YouTube or indeed almost any Flashmedia is playing, even with Intrepid.
I need to find whatever unwanted progs are running and slim down the whole thing. Does anyone know how I can do that? When I check system monitor it shows all but two things asleep, and uses up a huge amount of CPU itself!

Thanx
:D

lcnrj
July 12th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I'm still using 8.04 kubuntu because I simple cant find a true player to all formats. In hard I use totem-xine and kaffeine 0.8
I try to use kubuntu Lucid but I cant make Kaffeine works with phonon. I copied my xine.conf of hady and put in phonon-xine.xine.config but doest work.
All codecs had installed.
And if I enable compiz the screen turns invisible
VLC is bad to me in .rmvb ( to slow )
Totem-xine is dead
I think in windows again. ??!!%%@#!!

Linuxforall
July 12th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Kubuntu 10.04 working flawlessly here, with Dragon via Xine, with Smplayer via mplayer using rvm's ppa, or using latest VLC 1.1 via C.Korn's ppa. No issues at all and this with cheap nvidia 8400GS card, full had with VDPAU. I switched from Ubuntu to Kubuntu to get rid of the cracking noise I get with Pulse when using Skype.

jmate24
July 12th, 2010, 05:19 PM
You need to remove these parts from option 1 in this line of code for 10.04:

mozilla-helix-player mozilla-mplayer

sudo apt-get remove kaffeine-mozilla mozilla-helix-player mozilla-mplayer mozilla-plugin-vlc totem-mozilla xine-plugin

jmate24

marvin04
July 18th, 2010, 05:20 AM
my goodness.. i was just in part 1 and i cannot continue.. im in the installation part.. i am having this error saying "couldn't find package libflash mozplugin" so i tried the command you said to fix that error ' sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/* ' terminal sd 'there is no such file or directory " * " at the end of the command.. terminal said sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/: is a directory.. was that suppose to be the answer,? thinking it might i just continue and proceed to the next command sudo apt-get update.. was this all what should be happening?

lotusalive
July 19th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Fixed my Adobe-Flashplayer and Java conflicting packages problems, that decided to suddenly quit Flashplayer on me, AND not re-install it yesterday ! I am so grateful for this reference guide with commands in the Forum.

Thank you.

ssdt
August 3rd, 2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the great tutorial.

wkhasintha
August 4th, 2010, 02:12 PM
comprehensive tutorial

mas_sergio
August 8th, 2010, 03:47 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't understand why alot of this stuff isn't installed by defualt?? other than the codecs that I can understand due to legal terms or are DVD's playback capability also some how infringing some sort of law? I wish there was an easy 1 click way to do all of this like in Kubuntu- KDE where it asks you to install it all in 1 shot.

DachaArh
August 13th, 2010, 12:50 PM
can this be done on ubuntu 10.04, since I see packages are for karmic....

jimbob
August 13th, 2010, 01:11 PM
See my post #1573 above.

ubunter1
August 13th, 2010, 08:51 PM
hello, so i utilized all the instructions, and it seems to have broken the update manager, so i figured i would try it again, after putting the forst line in the terminal- sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/`lsb_release -cs`.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list; sudo apt-get -q update; sudo apt-get --yes -q --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring; sudo apt-get -q update

i get this message- Reading package lists...
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://packages.medibuntu.org/ lucid/free Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/packages.medibuntu.org_dists_lucid_free_binary-i386_Packages)
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://packages.medibuntu.org/ lucid/non-free Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/packages.medibuntu.org_dists_lucid_non-free_binary-i386_Packages)
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of APT::Cache-Limit. Current value: 25165824. (man 5 apt.conf)
E: Error occurred while processing ion3 (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_lucid_multiverse_b inary-i386_Packages
W: Unable to munmap
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

right now there is a icon in the top right part of the computer saying- An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'W:Duplicate sources.list entry http://packages.medibuntu.org/ lucid/free Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/packages.medibuntu.org_dists_lucid_free_binary-i386_Packages), W:Duplicate sources.list entry http://packages.medibuntu.org/ lucid/non-free Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/packages.medibuntu.org_dists_lucid_non-free_binary-i386_Packages), E:Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of APT::Cache-Limit. Current value: 25165824. (man 5 apt.conf), E:Error occurred while processing ion3 (NewVersion1), E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_lucid_multiverse_b inary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'

what can i do now?. thanks.

jimbob
August 13th, 2010, 09:57 PM
My guess is that because you ran it twice it put identical entries into your sources.list. This is not serious, it just complains about it. See this post for a suggestion to correct your sources.list if you didn't save a backup copy.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1541008&highlight=APT%3A%3ACache-Limit

See also this for correcting your MMAP error message:

http://www.bigtechnologiesinc.com/big-technologies-blog/35-linux/50-dynamic-mmap-apt-get

ubunter1
August 14th, 2010, 12:52 AM
My guess is that because you ran it twice it put identical entries into your sources.list. This is not serious, it just complains about it. See this post for a suggestion to correct your sources.list if you didn't save a backup copy.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1541008&highlight=APT%3A%3ACache-Limit

See also this for correcting your MMAP error message:

http://www.bigtechnologiesinc.com/big-technologies-blog/35-linux/50-dynamic-mmap-apt-get

Hi Jimbob,thanks for your help, so i read the first link, but didnt have a cd to copy the sources list, so i just went back to the edited sources list and removed the lucid entries, it seemed to remove the warning in the update manager, but maybe that means i wont get updates for lucid again?.

the second link, im wondering if i just copy and paste what is in that link.

i used this tutorial mainly because im looking to be able to use my ipod, that ive just purchased, and figured maybe something in the medibuntu repos would help, i have post in other threads for ipod nanos but nothing yet.
thanks.

ddas4
August 17th, 2010, 06:21 PM
One of the most useful & comprehensive how-tos.
One suggestion : can you please update for "mozilla-mplayer" ? This is not available anymore.Since mozilla-mplayer is not available any more do the following to play apple trailers:
remove: mozilla-plugin-vlc, totem-mozilla

install gnome-mplayer (libdiscid0, libmusicbrainz3-6, mplayer)
install mplayer-fonts (good to have)
install gecko-mediaplayer

ewan86
August 19th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Thanks for this how to I have used it many times.

One question how do I get the attached video clip to run with out constantly sputtering and stopping?? It itu h.264 or something.

I tried it with VLC amd deinterlacing enabled and has no effect!

Thank you.:D

Scorpuk
August 22nd, 2010, 12:30 AM
Just installed 10.04 on my Revo R3610 and trying to follow this guide.

Unfortunately it fails in 2 places:

This didn't add the repositories to the .list file and I had to add them manually.

It also complained about no public key being available, but the message is long gone in the terminal window.

64-Bit Ubuntu Users:

sudo apt-get remove gnash gnash-common libflashsupport mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla && sudo apt-get install alsa-oss faac faad flashplugin-nonfree gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse ia32-libs ia32-sun-java6-bin icedtea6-plugin libmp3lame0 non-free-codecs openjdk-6-jre unrar

This results in the error message below:

Building dependency tree
Package gnash is not installed, so not removed
Package gnash-common is not installed, so not removed
Package libflashsupport is not installed, so not removed
Package mozilla-plugin-gnash is not installed, so not removed
Package swfdec-mozilla is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Building dependency tree
E: Couldn't find package ia32-sun-java6-bin

Certainly never had any problems following this guide before. Has it been updated for 10.04?

Thanks in advance for any help.

jimbob
August 22nd, 2010, 12:52 PM
It has not been updated since November 2009 and yes, Java fails on both 32 and 64 bit installations.

littlebird
August 23rd, 2010, 05:33 AM
I have used this tutorial to attempt to resolve my DVD playback problems (no playback whatsoever), and have had no luck yet. I am new to the nuts and bolts of Ubuntu, so perhaps there is something I am missing? I am running Lucid Lynx, and using VLC media player. When I put a DVD in the optical drive, the computer recognizes the disk and its contents, but VLC and the default movie player will not even open the disc. Any suggestions? thanks,

littlebird

Linuxforall
August 23rd, 2010, 05:35 AM
I have used this tutorial to attempt to resolve my DVD playback problems (no playback whatsoever), and have had no luck yet. I am new to the nuts and bolts of Ubuntu, so perhaps there is something I am missing? I am running Lucid Lynx, and using VLC media player. When I put a DVD in the optical drive, the computer recognizes the disk and its contents, but VLC and the default movie player will not even open the disc. Any suggestions? thanks,

littlebird

Have you installed libdvdcss?

littlebird
August 23rd, 2010, 11:22 PM
I have, and it has not made a difference. I am wondering if I installed it wrong, but I followed the instructions in the Ubuntu how-to manual exactly. My graphics card is pretty pathetic, so I am wondering if that has some effect.

Mortesins93
August 25th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Hello,
I have an Xubuntu 9.10 on my computer and I can't see any videos. I tried installing the recommended libraries from this hoping it would solve the problem but it didn't. Neither VLC nor Totem work, I can only hear sound. The only program which works is Avidemux which I have been using for about 6 months or so and it works great but it can't open as many video files as VLC. What should I do? I would really like using VLC which works great on my other computers with Ubuntu.
Thanks in advance

justinmiller87
August 31st, 2010, 02:57 AM
Used yet again. Probably the twelfth time I have. No failures except for acroread not liking mozilla-plugins and acroread-plugins.

liakosR+
September 2nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
Your guide is excellent!! Thank you very much!

Khopstick
September 12th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I'm using kubuntu 10.04 (64bit) and in the section on audio conversion the package "accpulse" does not exist anymore...

Also I'm having the following problem with soundKonverter: in Preferences>Libraries it says I only have partial mp3-support.
At the same time I noticed that I can only encode MP3 with constant bitrate; I'm pretty sure it's possible to encode MP3 with variable bitrate. I suspect there is something wrong with my libraries... but I don't really know what I have to install. I installed lame and there is also twoLame, which I don't know...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chopstick

Linuxforall
September 13th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Have you added medibuntu repos? Soundkonvertor will bring in all pre-requisite dependencies on its own during install so it should work without any issues.

lunanueva
September 14th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Thx a bunch! Rock on buntu-freak.

serial
September 14th, 2010, 09:15 AM
For some reason this tuturial (which however was incredibly well done and understandable) did not solve my problem that I am no longer able to view flash content in firefox such as youtube, or any other that I know of. I do think this problem occurred when I upgraded to 10.04 lucid a little while back.
I had the problem previusly when running gutsy but managed to solve it by removing every package somehow related to flash or shockwave and then reinstalling adobe flashpluggin. But this solution did not seem to work this time.
Anyone have any idea why? or what I can try?

demag
September 22nd, 2010, 12:20 AM
I have gone through this so many times without success. Trying to watch Youtube makes me feel sick! This really is woeful for a modern up to the minute Linux distro to have all these video and sound problems.

I never had this many problems with other distros. Usually within a day or so of installation everything would be running perfect. I really don't know where to go from here, which is a shame because the rest of the distro is fantastic. I have never used another distro to touch the speed of 10.04.:(

pbenerjee
September 28th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Thnx linuxforall.
Your post helped me solve my problem:)

Cheers

Linuxforall
September 28th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Thnx linuxforall.
Your post helped me solve my problem:)

Cheers

You are most welcome.:)

henrodon
September 29th, 2010, 02:37 AM
I hope I'm posting this to the correct place. I'm a newbie, running Kuki Linux on an EeePC 1004HA (dual boot with XP) and Ubuntu (latest Beta) on a Windows box. This question is for the EeePC.

My audio out jack no longer works (I use this machine all day, every day, for teaching). I got a pair of Sanwa usb speakers which work fine in XP but not yet in linux. I follwed the directions I found about installing something (something like mmms) using the package manager and now I see Playback: USB Sound Device USB Audio (PulseAudio Mixer) as an option wchih I click the sound icon in my menu bar. I also see USB Sound Device ALSA mixer.

I tried choosing each of those, but don't hear anything from the usb speakers. Can somebody tell me what I'm missing?

SeymourBewty
October 11th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Hello, Linux newbie here. I just installed Ubuntu 10.10, and I'm not getting sound from my onboard CM6501 sound using the digital optical out. I've tried some of the stuff in the guide and none of it worked, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SeymourBewty

bark50
October 11th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Hello, Linux newbie here. I just installed Ubuntu 10.10, and I'm not getting sound from my onboard CM6501 sound using the digital optical out. I've tried some of the stuff in the guide and none of it worked, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SeymourBewty

Seymour,

Whenever I do a fresh Ubuntu install, I have to install Gnome Alsa Mixer from Synaptic to get my digital-out audio to work. Once installed, you'll find it in Applications -> Sound & Video. Put a checkmark in the box where it says "IEC958 Output" and see if that helps. I'll try attaching a screenshot.

SeymourBewty
October 11th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Thanks for your help. I ended up getting frustrated last night and installed a Sound Blaster Xfi that I had lying around. I'm getting sound now out of the Digital I/O Toslink, but my receiver seems to be locked in at 96Khz and I can't figure out how to get it back down to 48Khz. Other than that though everything is working fine.

jmdlcar
October 12th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I try to play a movie with Movie Player. The error was "could not read from resource" what do I need to do? Is there an plugin I need to add or is there another player I can use. I'm using Ubuntu 10.10. Hope someone can help.

jimbob
October 12th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Is this a DVD? Use Synaptic to make sure you have libdvdcss2, libdvdnav4 and libdvdread4 installed.

jmdlcar
October 12th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Is this a DVD? Use Synaptic to make sure you have libdvdcss2, libdvdnav4 and libdvdread4 installed.

Yes it is a DVD and all is install.

jimbob
October 12th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Not sure. Have you tried VLC media Player? You can get it via Synaptic. Do you have all the medibuntu repositories installed? You may be missing some codec(s).

jmdlcar
October 12th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I tried VLC media Player. I open the dvd up and I need something that can read VOB ext.

jimbob
October 12th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Turns out I had the same problem in 10.10 and didn't know it yet. Following all the steps in this thread cured the problem for me:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1583435&highlight=libdvdcss2

In particular, install the .deb as in post #3, install ubuntu-restricted-extras and run the script in post #5 (install-css.sh).

Now everything works great.

jmdlcar
October 12th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Jimbob thanks for the link it now works.:popcorn:

jimbob
October 12th, 2010, 10:00 PM
What we (the Ubuntu Community) really need is someone to take over this thread from the OP who did an extremely excellent job for many months ( or get rid of it and start a fresh one) and bring it up to date since it hasn't been updated since November 2009 and many things no longer apply to current releases.

I am not knowledgeable enough to do it so perhaps someone reading this can help us out.

jmdlcar
October 16th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I want to buy an webcam but I don't know brand or model that will work with Ubuntu 10.10.

And I have an Microsoft Finger print reader. I don't know if it will work or not.

Can anyone help me.

Linuxforall
October 16th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Safest webcam would be Logitech, they are uvc so work witout any hitch.

ronald atkinson
October 24th, 2010, 12:39 AM
on news BBC I can't get sound ,... but I got great video.
Help,... What do I use for ubuntu format?

sofasurfer
October 24th, 2010, 04:02 AM
I have used this Multimedia-How-To for the last few distros and it has been great. But I just upgraded to Lucid and in searching this thread I only found 1 user who tried the How-To on Lucid and he was not happy.
So tell me, is this How-To still the multimedia bible or not. Can I expect to have multimedia or is this a issue in Lucid?

sofasurfer
October 24th, 2010, 05:20 AM
I still want the answer about what is the proper proceedure for 10.04 because it is not mentioned in this thread.

But I went ahead and did the Howto anyway and everything works fine EXCEPT Kaffeine DVB. I found that in order to watch tv you need to run this command. sudo apt-get install libxine1-all-plugins.

This info came from this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1482558

nickpaton
November 13th, 2010, 10:08 PM
New installs of 10.10 i386 on Thinkpad T40 (1.5GHz 1GB RAM) and also old PC fitted with Asus CUSL3 motherboard and PIII 900MHz with 512Mb RAM.

No problems using this How To on both equipments except Java is already installed by default, so after installing Medibuntu repos, on the next step leave out

sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin unrar

mobislink
November 23rd, 2010, 07:40 AM
The below is what solved my issue with choppy/speedy video.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1592120&highlight=Choppy+Video&page=3

merc1973
November 24th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I followed this and it did help a bunch but I still notice choppy youtube videos and some formats will not play in the browser...

Im running old Dell laptop c840 LinuxMint 8, Firefox 3.6.12, 2.4 GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, nVidia 440 Go.

This thread was stickied from the Linux Mint forum.... :D

nengracia
November 25th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandel Valico View Post
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=dvd+playback

A handy guide to setting up pretty much all the multi-media you need.
hi brandel, is there a comprehensive howto for 10.10? this link seems to be outdated and it doesn't seem to work on my 10.10.

Need help in switching entirely to ubuntu. thanks.

AldenIsZen
December 4th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I followed this and it did help a bunch but I still notice choppy youtube videos and some formats will not play in the browser... . :D

This may help... http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10195378&postcount=361

"Great news.
Adobe has published 64-bit Flash Plugin 10.2 preview3 beta1 for Linux.
That one is capable of GPU acceleration (VDPAU, VA-API)."

Instructions in the link.

coldfire82
December 18th, 2010, 06:23 PM
This may help... http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10195378&postcount=361

"Great news.
Adobe has published 64-bit Flash Plugin 10.2 preview3 beta1 for Linux.
That one is capable of GPU acceleration (VDPAU, VA-API)."

Instructions in the link.

Nice.

@mobislink, hey thanks helped me. Thats what i was looking for.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...y+Video&page=3

maxikosr
December 20th, 2010, 07:48 AM
So popular the post is! I love this post.

mystmaiden
January 3rd, 2011, 02:35 AM
I'm running Karmic, and after a reformat I was following along this tutorial until I got to the dvd playback part. I've been using the movie player that comes with ubuntu (totem?) and hadn't actually had any issues with it until just recently. I tried VLC but when it goes to fullscreen I just get a small movie in the middle of the screen surrounded by black, instead of an actual full screen movie like I get in movie player so I'll probably stick with movie player unless there is some benefit to VLC that I haven't realized?

The issue I am having with movie player is that suddenly it will not play my asian movies. It comes back as 'can not read from source'. The weird part is they are asian made but region 1 so they should play. I tried checking automatically load subtitles but no joy there.
Is there any plugin, etc that will let you play any region? They play fine in my regular dvd player.

thanks much

mystmaiden

SD456
January 3rd, 2011, 01:07 PM
Hi!

I have a problem with my sound card, it's a Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro. The problem is that I only get 4.0 instead of 5.1 sound, I tried every settings and profiles in the sound preferences, but it didn't worked. The front center and subwoofer is not working, they do not give out any sound. Under Windows it works perfectly.
I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 64bit, and here is my config:

Mobo: Asus P5N-E SLI
VGA: Sapphire Radeon 4870
Memory: 2gb Kingmax ram
CPU: Intel Core2Duo 2,66 GHz
and of course the ShitBlaster -.-'

Thanks for the answer in advance!
(Sorry for my English!)

cheapodonuts
January 3rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
I can't say that this will work for your Creative card, but......
I had some sound issues with my newest HP Pavillion 64bit Dual4600 etc. And eventually found a couple of threads on these forums talking about how dual booting with Windows can affect the sound card. Apparently, if you boot into Windows there are things to alter in the sound setup there, which can solve low sound volume etc after rebooting Ubuntu. Sorry I can't recall which threads I was reading. But I finally clean installed 9.10 from my CD wiped Windows out completely. Allowed the system to upgrade itself to 10.04 problem solved.

Hope this helps.
Happy new year.
Pete.

ubuntu-freak
January 19th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Suppose I should update this howto soon. I've been running Jaunty for ages on my laptop cos Ubuntu went all weird and I'm usually on my phone anyway. At least my howto still pretty much works I guess.

I'll install Meerkat soonish and see what needs changing. I'm presuming there will be lots of issues with this howto later in the year, at least with the GUI instructions. Why did I have to write so much, eh? It was only a streaming howto originally.

Ciao.

nickpaton
January 19th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Suppose I should update this howto soon. I've been running Jaunty for ages on my laptop cos Ubuntu went all weird and I'm usually on my phone anyway. At least my howto still pretty much works I guess.

I'll install Meerkat soonish and see what needs changing. I'm presuming there will be lots of issues with this howto later in the year, at least with the GUI instructions. Why did I have to write so much, eh? It was only a streaming howto originally.

Ciao.

I've installed 10.04 and 10.10 32 bit Ubuntu and both work but need a the initial Installation code altering to remove the final sun Java related stuff removing to read:

sudo apt-get remove gnash gnash-common libflashsupport mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla && sudo apt-get install alsa-oss faac faad flashplugin-nonfree gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gstreamer0.10-pitfdll libmp3lame0 non-free-codecs

Many thanks indeed for your very hard work and commitment to this. It's really appreciated.

dlcol
January 29th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I have installed xubuntu. I can play cds through my sound system using exaile.

I can not stream internet radio. I have tried several of the programs, none of them seem to work. I have tried some of the synaptic packages. No help that I know.

What to do?

ubuntu-freak
February 13th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I've updated the howto somewhat. Added some info about Rubyripper too. GUI version is almost unusable at the mo, but still, check it out. Great ripper.

balta
February 14th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Best guide ever, now I'll be back on windoze only for games!
Thanks!

s0ak
February 18th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks for sharing...
Nice Thread.

I've been searching all day long to find this thread... :D

raju50
February 28th, 2011, 07:44 PM
can't play my dvd

Any player I use, or if I try to copy/rip the dvd I get the similar error and i.e. something like "could not read the resource". All my commercial dvds play very well, except this one. Its a newly bought one. This annoying error just doesn't go, no matter what forums I visit, what methods I try.

When I try playing my dvd, it plays only till the menu screen and after that either nothing happens or the same error appears.

I've tried everything given on the page but couldn't play my dvd. This error must be due to defective UDF file system as mentioned on http://tobias.rautenkranz.ch/libdvdread_ifo.html(I tried the patch for linux i386 but didn't work) but then what to do now to play the dvd?

ubuntu-freak
March 1st, 2011, 12:00 AM
can't play my dvd

Any player I use, or if I try to copy/rip the dvd I get the similar error and i.e. something like "could not read the resource". All my commercial dvds play very well, except this one. Its a newly bought one. This annoying error just doesn't go, no matter what forums I visit, what methods I try.

When I try playing my dvd, it plays only till the menu screen and after that either nothing happens or the same error appears.

I've tried everything given on the page but couldn't play my dvd. This error must be due to defective UDF file system as mentioned on http://tobias.rautenkranz.ch/libdvdread_ifo.html(I tried the patch for linux i386 but didn't work) but then what to do now to play the dvd?

You say it's new, so perhaps you will have to wait a while for it to play in Linux. I presume you have libdvdcss2 installed etc. It will probably be updated this year to support newer DVDs.

jamesisin
March 1st, 2011, 01:08 AM
raju50 - You may try playing the DVD in VLC. Also you might consider letting us know which DVD (and which region) it is in case that's important.

raju50
March 1st, 2011, 04:57 AM
Tried with VLC but it just does nothing after the menu screen. The DVD is 'Russell Crowe A Beautiful Mind' by BIG Home Video. Its written Manufactured by:Sony DADC Manufacturing India Pvt. Ltd.

jamesisin
March 1st, 2011, 06:33 AM
That doesn't strike me as being new so have you tried that DVD in other systems/machines?

raju50
March 3rd, 2011, 06:38 PM
Yes the DVD played fine in Windows 7. I wonder why there are so many issues with linux when it comes to playing commercial dvds.

jamesisin
March 3rd, 2011, 08:33 PM
Is the Windows machine a different box? Can you run the Ubuntu live CD under that box and see what happens (unfortunately this also means running adding the DVD playing packages once you run the live CD)?

raju50
March 10th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Yes the Windows instalation was on a different box. I'm actually using Linux Mint 10 but still can't rum live cd of Linux Mint on that box because my friend won't let me do that.

raju50
March 10th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Yes the Windows installation was on a different box. I'm actually using Linux Mint 10 but still can't run live cd of Linux Mint on that box because my friend won't let me do that.

jamesisin
March 10th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Does your friend understand that running a live CD on a system won't effect that underlying system?

pastorterrylee
March 16th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Thanks for this awesome help. Got me on the right road. You would not happen to be my friend from Seminary now would you? :)
Terry

Jenga-kun
April 5th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I'm getting this error when I try to install the gecko media player:

james@james-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install gnome-mplayer gecko-mediaplayer
Building dependency tree
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gnome-mplayer: Depends: mplayer (>= 1.0~) but it is not going to be installed or
mplayer-nogui (>= 1.0~) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
james@james-desktop:~$

ubuntu-freak
April 7th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I'm getting this error when I try to install the gecko media player:

james@james-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install gnome-mplayer gecko-mediaplayer
Building dependency tree
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gnome-mplayer: Depends: mplayer (>= 1.0~) but it is not going to be installed or
mplayer-nogui (>= 1.0~) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
james@james-desktop:~$

Did you add the Medibuntu repo to your list of sources? Check that it isn't disabled for some reason. Then perhaps try the commands to fix broken packages etc below the "Essential Packages" section in Part 1.

P.S. Are you trying out Natty?

srlake314
April 7th, 2011, 11:48 PM
I followed this guide to the T, and have now disabled the ATI driver. When I do this and reboot, I get this pretty Ubuntu Studio Blue and white wheel with the animation. Very nice and then of course the usual Ubuntu Studio sign in. However, when I do activate the ATI file:
ati-driver-installer-11-3-x86.x86_64.run
I restart and get the off blk/red simple screen with simple terminal Ubuntu 10.10 with the white dots animation.

Also when I go to the configure display settings menu, before I activate the ATI driver, it shows the monitor type, however when the ATI is activated, the monitors shown is listed as unknown.

Of course above all this, WoW doesnt run. It works better with the ATI setting, but the disembodied armor makes playing impossible, not to mention the settings are nothing better than Fair and a few settings are disabled without being able to select them.

When I run WoW with the disabled ATI, it is very sluggish almost to a stand-still however the login screen, all the graphics are there, just they take forever to animate.

Please, there has got to be a solution to this. If you need me to print out something, let me know and I will post it. It's not like I can take this pc into a shop and they fix it. I may have to go to windows, which I hate to do because some of the aspects of Ubuntu are great, but I dont have that much free time to diagnose simple things that should work.

Please someone help...Ill list my hardware so that you have that at least.

Sean

Processor AMD Phenom II 1090T, OCZ BE 4 Gig, OCZ 800w ps, H50 cooling system, Nzxt M59 case, M4A89GTD PRO/usb 3, XFX Radeon HD5770, WD Caviar BE 1 TB HDD.

jamesisin
April 13th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Has anyone used this on Bodhi Linux?

Wondering if there are any special caveats I should consider.

Jenga-kun
April 13th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Did you add the Medibuntu repo to your list of sources? Check that it isn't disabled for some reason. Then perhaps try the commands to fix broken packages etc below the "Essential Packages" section in Part 1.

P.S. Are you trying out Natty?

I was able to get it installed after I did a sudo apt-get update and tried the command again. Thanks anyway.

dazndom
May 5th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Has anyone used this on Bodhi Linux?

Wondering if there are any special caveats I should consider.

heh james i just did this on my bodhi and so far i have had no problems, big learning curve setting bodhi up, with the apps i want, but i also have Ultimate edition and OzUnity to use if i stuff it up. and if i stuff it i will just install again over the top

good luck
Daz

rick-ster
May 9th, 2011, 02:54 AM
God help me, i see i will be spending many hours reading and pounding my head against a wall to get java, flash players to work on web pages like YAHOO and MNSBC etc.......sigh ( i just loaded up Ubunto 11.04 and am new to the o.s.)

dazndom
May 14th, 2011, 02:06 PM
God help me, i see i will be spending many hours reading and pounding my head against a wall to get java, flash players to work on web pages like YAHOO and MNSBC etc.......sigh ( i just loaded up Ubunto 11.04 and am new to the o.s.)

Hi there rick, welcome to the land of ubuntu, I too was a noobie a couple of years ago, but really it is not as daunting as you may think... but if you want to get things working with music vid, flash and java just follow the instructions on the very first page.
it easy, very easy to copy and paste into a terminal.

have you found a terminal yet. simple way is to click on Applications / Accessories / terminal

mate all this stuff really works, and you will be able to watch and copy any DVD from any where and play any music format

the beauty of linux is that you can do anything in computing, learning about it is the challenge.

you can customize ubuntu to look and feel and work just the way you want it if you want to learn it

ubuntu forums and the "how to's" are really good to learn all kinds of things and if you have any problems, just search for it on hear (coz chances are somebody has had the same problem already)

this forum is vast and ubuntu community will help you reasonably quickly.........

Now having said all that ..... if you want to try ubuntu with ALL the BELLS and WHISTLES already installed and ready to go look up these 2 distros - Ultimate Edititon or Oz Unity goto ultimateeditionoz.com and have a look around i promise you it is well worth it, everything works and visually stunning with all the 3d compiz effect already enabled.
UE 2.9 and Oz Unity are ubuntu 10.10 with lots of extras
UE 3.0 and Oz Unity 2 are about to be released very soon

one piece of advice when installing ubuntu or any linux os

have a wired connection to internet to start things off (just for initial install and setup so you can install wireless drivers)
1st thing install wireless and graphics drivers- under system / Admin /additional drivers (dont try install anything else yet)
Reboot / restart computer

everytime you install new software or do a system update - restart computer - it keeps file system in better shape and helps keep any gremlins at bay.

Good luck and have FUN :D and wave goodbye to windoze

DarkTide
May 16th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I have a new installation of Hardy 64bit which I installed on a new box and then basically upgraded to kde4 Kubuntu. I am now having problems getting flash media to play online. This has worked in the past but this is the first time playing in the 64 bit sandbox for me. I am using the regular xorg ati driver with the built in Radeon 3200 graphics on the MB; the fglrx driver gave me artifacts. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

RazorFish1
May 19th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Most excellent tutorial - everything worked amazingly well - thank you!

sunrise-7
June 2nd, 2011, 07:45 AM
I pass along my many thanks to ubuntu-freak, from the UK.
Your "Guide" has many features to provide as a constructive example of support material for others.

For one point, you segregate specific instructions for different versions of Ubuntu which keeps the information easy to find and relevant for one's specific release.

Secondly, you suggest and request "test" points to confirm the validity and the applicability of each of many sections as the participant enacts certain scripts/instructions or installation routines.

Thirdly, you provide options for troubleshooting any problems present or new to arise.

Fourth, you provide an opportunity to add other features and applications which you personally have found to be of considerable benefit.

There are so many solution posters who miss some or all of these points to often create even more complex and frustrating problems than those originally presented .. may they consider your more balanced presentation.

I DID find an additional and related difficulty to this issue and I have included a note of my findings and resolution below.
Added Note:
In Ubuntu 10.04, on a Dell C521, going to
System/Administration/Software Sources/Ubuntu Software tab ... and
selecting Download from: "Server for Canada" (2011-06-01)
has resulted in half as many resources being detected (27), and many of those failing"
vs leaving the setting as "Main Server" which resulted in 54 resources being successfully accessed.

jamesisin
June 2nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
heh james i just did this on my bodhi and so far i have had no problems, big learning curve setting bodhi up, with the apps i want

Thanks.

God help me, i see i will be spending many hours reading and pounding my head against a wall to get java, flash players to work on web pages like YAHOO and MNSBC etc

Fortunately, that's probably not going to be the case. I use this how-to on every build I do now. It's really well layed-out and easy to follow. Just open your terminal and prepare your copy/paste muscles. Should only take maybe ten minutes and typically there will be no issues.

sompo
June 7th, 2011, 04:07 AM
this forum revealed so many solution that i got before...this forum really helpful and supply too many information that i never thought. Thanks a lot...thumb up!!!!!I will always visit this forum regularly.

color23
June 29th, 2011, 08:57 PM
thank you for the tips it was helpful.Thanks again :) :D

>>Poker USA (http://www.pokernbet.com)<<

granny4linux
July 2nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
You rock...this How To is so helpful. Thank you.

Windoze Refugee
July 7th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Not sure if I'm in the right place for this post, but hopefully one of you lovely mods will re-route me if I've got it wrong.

I need a little help with a Soundblaster card. I'm running the latest ubuntu distro and have a (fairly elderly) soundblaster PCI card, which my onboard system info tool is ID'ing as a ES1370. It has four ports (Line In, Mic In, Line Out, Rear Out).
Here's how I have it set up currently: mic into Mic In, headphones into Line Out, amplified speakers into Rear Out.

What I want to achieve is have the audio coming out of both the headphones and the speakers at the same time, but try as I might I don't seem to be ale to get it to do this. It occurred to me that there might be a software solution and was wondering if anyone could help?
Many thanks
WR

alexander750
July 12th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Windoze Refugee:
It appears you have an older SB card which uses quadraphonic (or, in more modern parlance, 4.0 surround) sound. As configured by default, the "rear out" port isn't an auxiliary line out--it's a rear surround-out.

It is possible to get the rear out to behave like an extra line out, but you'll need to add a custom .asoundrc file to your home directory (or, for all users, put it in /etc/asound.conf as root). See here (http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc) for more info on what this file is, and how to write one.

Basically, what you'll be wanting to do is send normal stereo to the line out port, and duplicate (or "slave") that output to the rear out port. You may need to force a mixdown to stereo for applications expecting multichannel output (e.g., DVD players, MythTV, some games).

If, on the other hand, you actually wanted quad, you probably wouldn't need an .asoundrc; you'd select "Analog 4.0 surround output/Analog stereo input" in Sound Preferences. Connect an extra amp and speakers to the rear out, and you'd be good to go.

Zombie_Z
July 13th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Hey, I very much enjoyed the guide, quite helpful on several issues i had, Yet in Rhythmbox when i open it up, i still have several "Import Errors" and it says additional "g streamer" plug-ins required, yet it fails to find a WMA decoder... or codec? slightly confused on this issue. PLease Help.

Crusader911
July 15th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Everything seems to be going fine in step 1, but I get to a part where a screen fills the terminal window with a Microsoft Truetype Core Fonts EULA. I couldn't seem to click on the OK, so I guess I'll close it and hope for the best.

Jerriy
July 16th, 2011, 05:00 AM
SOUND

Common sound issues with GNOME MPlayer/MPlayer can be solved by enabling the software mixer in both their preferences. In GNOME MPlayer, navigate to "Edit > Preferences > Advanced", and tick the "Software Volume Control" box. As for MPlayer users, right-click on the video window and navigate to "Preferences > Audio", then tick the "Enable Software Mixer" box. If you launched a video before carrying out these steps, open the video again with the new sound setting in place, or restart GNOME MPlayer/MPlayer.That's just simply not true! I have no idea why that is being repeated (this is old thread) but that option simply doesn't exist in Gnome Mplayer.

Here is what comes when I open Edit > Preferences:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-d-T65SWSu2Y/TiELyKDLjcI/AAAAAAAAD60/PfusLo2z0JY/Screenshot-GNOME%252520MPlayer%252520Configuration.png

Where is the "advanced" option?

Jerriy
July 16th, 2011, 05:12 AM
But perhaps I may not need to know as my mplayer seems to function so far in it's principal job of playing audio and video. But as an alternative I have another plugin installed, namely the totem plugin (but also used by other players besides totem like Vlc and Rhythmbox) when I use that alternative plugin to, for example, listen to streaming radio, there's no stream but instead this pop-up window appears two seconds after the plugin's embedded soundless interface appears in the browser:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HiuiWWONu3s/TiELyDmZ1LI/AAAAAAAAD64/lXGrGD0Pcvo/Screenshot-Search%252520for%252520suitable%252520plugin%25253 F.png

When I press search this other popup appears:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5ecXs3u_HrU/TiELyVWfd6I/AAAAAAAAD68/19aUGoZpoYs/Screenshot-Searching%252520Plugin%252520Packages.png

But all this is to no avail: every single time the result seems to be nothing:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-QJm8afp3DVI/TiELyN3vPjI/AAAAAAAAD6w/qYw01GJfIFk/Screenshot-No%252520packages%252520with%252520the%252520reque sted%252520plugins%252520found.png

How do I solve this specific problem. Doing everything in this threads' OP didn't solve this problem. In fact the OP's troubleshooting section doesn't even mention and address this problem. Why is that? Cuz some of us have no clue what on earth text/html decoder means. Is it a problem of multiple plugins conflicting/clashing? Anyway whatever the problem is, it needs to not only be solved but also addressed in the troubleshooting section (since this thread's multimedia install is comprehensive and includes those multiple players and plugins). Thanks in advance.

davethewave83
August 12th, 2011, 07:35 AM
is this a joke? ... I can't seriously be expected to understand, follow along and stay focused with instructions that long and complex just to play a DVD movie.

There must be an easier way :confused: without resorting to Mac/Windows or a dedicated DVD player I mean

Windoze Refugee
August 12th, 2011, 09:41 PM
HI Alexander, and many thanks for your input. Apologies for the delay in responding but Ive only just come across your reply. IM afraid IM not quite as advanced as you might have thought. Would you mind giving me a little more info? Ive managed to open a new .soundr file in the home folder ready for editing, but IM still very sketchy on exactly what to put in it. Once again, Many thanks. WR

Windoze Refugee:
It appears you have an older SB card which uses quadraphonic (or, in more modern parlance, 4.0 surround) sound. As configured by default, the "rear out" port isn't an auxiliary line out--it's a rear surround-out.

It is possible to get the rear out to behave like an extra line out, but you'll need to add a custom .asoundrc file to your home directory (or, for all users, put it in /etc/asound.conf as root). See here (http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc) for more info on what this file is, and how to write one.

Basically, what you'll be wanting to do is send normal stereo to the line out port, and duplicate (or "slave") that output to the rear out port. You may need to force a mixdown to stereo for applications expecting multichannel output (e.g., DVD players, MythTV, some games).

If, on the other hand, you actually wanted quad, you probably wouldn't need an .asoundrc; you'd select "Analog 4.0 surround output/Analog stereo input" in Sound Preferences. Connect an extra amp and speakers to the rear out, and you'd be good to go.

Yoxx
August 26th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I still want the answer about what is the proper proceedure for 10.04 because it is not mentioned in this thread.

But I went ahead and did the Howto anyway and everything works fine EXCEPT Kaffeine DVB. I found that in order to watch tv you need to run this command. sudo apt-get install libxine1-all-plugins.

This info came from this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=14825581 (http://underwater-welding-schools.net/)

thanks that was really helpful

Jumponskis1
September 5th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Does anyone have any information on how to obtain the codecs ect in this guide for a ppc version of maverick?

ninagzmn1
September 15th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Several of us with different problems kept telling him
what did and didn't work and now I can view damn near anything in Fire
Fox, including stuff that never worked for me in Windows. By the time
he was done he ended up including fixes for Flash, DVDs and a few other
things.

(http://eblogz.net)

lanzd
October 4th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Should the steps described in this guide for audio output also get audio input working? It didn't seem to specify and for some reason my microphone isn't working after following this guide. Just trying to figure out if I missed/wrongly executed a step.

Dan

ubuntu-freak
November 6th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Glad to see this howto isn't needed much these days. Posts used to be very regular here. My only advice now is to add the Medibuntu repo on a fresh install before you start installing multimedia packages from the Software Centre, as you'll have patent restricted FFMPEG etc otherwise.

soccerz619
November 7th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Ok, I followed these steps and have asked around on the Linux Mint Forums (since that what I'm using), but I still have skippy playback when using small-sized video, and skippy/teary video when going full screen. Can someone please help me?

AlbertP
November 8th, 2011, 01:29 PM
You need an nVidia graphics card for video (decoding) acceleration to work with Flash on Linux.

ubuntu-freak
November 8th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Ok, I followed these steps and have asked around on the Linux Mint Forums (since that what I'm using), but I still have skippy playback when using small-sized video, and skippy/teary video when going full screen. Can someone please help me?

This guide just helps you get the codecs installed really. You didn't say which graphics device you have either. Start your own thread and state your graphics device etc.

jmate24
November 9th, 2011, 01:58 AM
the new version does not work for me i have to add the old version stuff too like libdvdread4, libdvdnav4, thoggen and cdrdao plus rubyripper does not work that well for me. i prefer using banshee and sound-juicer.

ubuntu-freak
November 9th, 2011, 02:57 AM
the new version does not work for me i have to add the old version stuff too like libdvdread4, libdvdnav4, thoggen and cdrdao plus rubyripper does not work that well for me. i prefer using banshee and sound-juicer.

Not sure what you mean. The libdvd packages you mentioned are installed as dependencies by other packages like DeVeDe, SMPlayer etc. They don't need to be in the command if they're going to be installed as dependencies. Arista is installed instead of Thoggen, so that's just personal preference. Rubyripper is the best CD ripper I've used apart from EAC in Windows. Less secure ones will give you artefacts in your MP3s - I've performed tests myself and heard them.

P.S. cdrdao is there in the command.

aditya1
November 9th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Hi, i am new to ubuntu:confused:](*,). i have version 11.10 installed, i am recently downloaded two video files out of which one is not working though they are from the same source](*,).
The error that shows on the screen 'Could not determine the type of stream'.
The original extension to the video is .avi .
Please Help.

ubuntu-freak
November 9th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Hi, i am new to ubuntu:confused:](*,). i have version 11.10 installed, i am recently downloaded two video files out of which one is not working though they are from the same source](*,).
The error that shows on the screen 'Could not determine the type of stream'.
The original extension to the video is .avi .
Please Help.

It's possibly corrupt or fake.

EvilRick
November 9th, 2011, 11:46 PM

I Googled 'comprehensive multimedia & audio howto' and then saved the "cached" page as a single .html file. I to did not want all that was in the "New" guide.

jmate24
November 10th, 2011, 12:15 AM
use this for lubuntu:
sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-extras non-free-codecs p7zip-rar acroread gimp inkscape blender vlc libdvdcss2 libdvdread4 libdvdnav4 f-spot dvdrip devede todiscgui tovidgui regionset build-essential debhelper fakeroot cd-discid devede aacplusenc lame cdrdao flac soundconverter exfalso winff audacity gconf-editor lsb-core mplayer thoggen soundconverter oggconvert aacplusenc alac-decoder cdparanoia ffmpeg flac lame vorbis-tools chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra gtkpod

jmate24
November 10th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Not sure what you mean. The libdvd packages you mentioned are installed as dependencies by other packages like DeVeDe, SMPlayer etc. They don't need to be in the command if they're going to be installed as dependencies. Arista is installed instead of Thoggen, so that's just personal preference. Rubyripper is the best CD ripper I've used apart from EAC in Windows. Less secure ones will give you artefacts in your MP3s - I've performed tests myself and heard them.

P.S. cdrdao is there in the command.
i just use flac for my encoding and then i encode into my ipod mp3s from gtkpod but rubyripper keeps having errors for me and i like banshee and sound-juicer the best because i have used both programs for over 5+ years and they work really well for me.

ubuntu-freak
November 10th, 2011, 12:57 AM
I Googled 'comprehensive multimedia & audio howto' and then saved the "cached" page as a single .html file. I to did not want all that was in the "New" guide.

Cached version of the guide (https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:1v2YtCl_hKsJ:ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php%3Ft%3D766683+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

The old guide is still there below the new stuff. It's easy enough to remove things later if you don't want them. Also, you can delete things from the command before executing it. I'm just making it easier for new users to install everything in one go.

ubuntu-freak
November 10th, 2011, 01:03 AM
use this for lubuntu:
sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-extras non-free-codecs p7zip-rar acroread gimp inkscape blender vlc libdvdcss2 libdvdread4 libdvdnav4 f-spot dvdrip devede todiscgui tovidgui regionset build-essential debhelper fakeroot cd-discid devede aacplusenc lame cdrdao flac soundconverter exfalso winff audacity gconf-editor lsb-core mplayer thoggen soundconverter oggconvert aacplusenc alac-decoder cdparanoia ffmpeg flac lame vorbis-tools chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra gtkpod

I tried explaining before, libdvdnav and libdvdread are installed by VLC etc. Also, lsb-core installs build-essential, fakeroot and so on. The others are just your preferences. People can try my suggestions, remove any they don't like and install others they do.

Edit: I'll add gtkpod for now though, cheers.

Edit 2: Also added the chromium-codecs package to the Lubuntu install command, as it's the default browser for that distro.

EvilRick
November 10th, 2011, 01:34 AM
You know how people are with change. ;)

ubuntu-freak
November 10th, 2011, 03:26 AM
You know how people are with change. ;)

Aye, change and no change makes people cranky.

crjackson
November 10th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Aye, change and no change makes people cranky.

Ubuntu-freak, care to take a stab at this for me? I'm not getting any help when posting my own thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1875469

Thanks

ubuntu-freak
November 10th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Ubuntu-freak, care to take a stab at this for me? I'm not getting any help when posting my own thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1875469

Thanks

Another user here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1803043) discovered a strange solution for the same audio device, see if that works for you. Also, check BIOS and alsamixer for anything disabled/muted that shouldn't be. It might also be worth installing a kernel from the proposed repo, or one even newer.

Edit: If your audio output is just switching randomly between SB and the unused HDMI, try this guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6690552&postcount=4) and follow from step 3 to set your default output device.

Edit 2: After reading your other post more carefully, I'm pretty sure you need to follow the advice in my first edit. Once you've done that it won't try directing sound output to the HDMI audio port anymore. File a bug report though, as the default output should be the internal speakers.

Borunco
November 15th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Just wanted to say thank you for your tutorial it's awesome. people say just download restricted extras and you are good to go. Not true, unless I use your tutorial my playback will not work. Thank you for working up this masterpiece.

Borunco:popcorn:

denver11
November 15th, 2011, 09:40 PM
flash player worked great with firefox thanks!!

crjackson
November 17th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Another user here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1803043) discovered a strange solution for the same audio device, see if that works for you. Also, check BIOS and alsamixer for anything disabled/muted that shouldn't be. It might also be worth installing a kernel from the proposed repo, or one even newer.

Edit: If your audio output is just switching randomly between SB and the unused HDMI, try this guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6690552&postcount=4) and follow from step 3 to set your default output device.

Edit 2: After reading your other post more carefully, I'm pretty sure you need to follow the advice in my first edit. Once you've done that it won't try directing sound output to the HDMI audio port anymore. File a bug report though, as the default output should be the internal speakers.

Great, I've actually not been able to work on this right now, but when I get out of the hospital, I'll jump right on it.

tweetering
November 22nd, 2011, 12:13 AM
Hi, Ive been having problems playing DVDs, I tried installing the libraries mentioned in the HOW TO, but I get the following errors when I try to complete the very first step:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

When I try to install this:
sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2 libdvdread4 libdvdnav4 vlc

I get this error:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

I tried installing the Medibuntu from this page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

And I got this error in the Terminal:
W: GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org oneiric InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783

ubuntu-freak
November 22nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Make sure Update Manager isn't running, or the Software Centre etc. The error means something else is using dpkg with admin privileges.

mgw2008
November 23rd, 2011, 07:32 PM
Have had problems with installation of rubyripper... apparently the GetDeb site doesn't work...

ubuntu-freak
November 24th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Have had problems with installation of rubyripper... apparently the GetDeb site doesn't work...

Perhaps it was temporarily down. I presume you added the Getdeb repo via the link provided, or you had it added already.

esj
November 25th, 2011, 08:10 AM
why is making a simple hulu viewer so hard. I've tried all published instructions (here and flash-aid). I have a fragile viewer that breaks sometimes, on resizing, sometimes blanking or freezing while audio continues. later is usually associated with resetting the video timeline.

wtf do I do?

more info. installed the getdeb package

Err http://archive.getdeb.net oneiric-getdeb/apps amd64 Packages
404 Not Found
Err http://archive.getdeb.net oneiric-getdeb/apps i386 Packages
404 Not Found
Get:6 http://dl.google.com stable/main i386 Packages [1,220 B]
Ign http://dl.google.com stable/main TranslationIndex
Get:7 http://dl.google.com stable/main amd64 Packages [748 B]
Get:8 http://dl.google.com stable/main i386 Packages [765 B]
Ign http://dl.google.com stable/main TranslationIndex
Ign http://dl.google.com stable/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://dl.google.com stable/main Translation-en
Ign http://dl.google.com stable/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://dl.google.com stable/main Translation-en
Ign http://archive.getdeb.net oneiric-getdeb/apps Translation-en_US
Ign http://archive.getdeb.net oneiric-getdeb/apps Translation-en
Fetched 7,046 B in 6s (1,008 B/s)
W: Failed to fetch http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/dists/oneiric-getdeb/apps/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/dists/oneiric-getdeb/apps/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
eric@jumper:~$

again, wtf??

ser_renely
November 25th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Perhaps it was temporarily down. I presume you added the Getdeb repo via the link provided, or you had it added already.

I am having the same issue, I am new so I can't really troubleshoot much. Any ideas?

Ubuntu Users

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras non-free-codecs p7zip-rar acroread gimp inkscape blender smplayer vlc libdvdcss2 libdvdread4 faac faad audacious rubyripper cd-discid aacplusenc gtkpod lame cdrdao aacgain flac mp3gain normalize-audio vorbisgain arista soundconverter gnome-sushi exfalso winff devede openshot audacity cheese synaptic gconf-editor lsb-core

ubuntu-freak
November 26th, 2011, 02:38 PM
If you've added the Getdeb repo via the Deb and it's down when you try to install something, edit your sources and change the Getdeb address to one of the mirrors. The mirror information is available on the Getdeb site.

de Bacon
December 6th, 2011, 02:18 AM
I found my answer,
thanks

jmate24
December 7th, 2011, 01:00 AM
>> Nathan, you need to update 2 lines in the first sudo command of this post or else there are problems.

Here's the previous one which is incorrect:

sudo -E wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get -y --force-yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get install app-install-data-medibuntu apport-hooks-medibuntu && sudo sed -i "/^# deb .*partner/ s/^# //" /etc/apt/sources.list && sudo apt-get --quiet update

Here's the updated correction:

sudo -E wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y --force-yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring app-install-data-medibuntu apport-hooks-medibuntu && sudo sed -i "/^# deb .*partner/ s/^# //" /etc/apt/sources.list && sudo apt-get --quiet update

It should install with out errors now.

jmate24

ubuntu-freak
December 7th, 2011, 02:38 AM
>> Nathan, you need to update 2 lines in the first sudo command of this post or else there are problems.

Here's the previous one which is incorrect:

sudo -E wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get -y --force-yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get install app-install-data-medibuntu apport-hooks-medibuntu && sudo sed -i "/^# deb .*partner/ s/^# //" /etc/apt/sources.list && sudo apt-get --quiet update

Here's the updated correction:

sudo -E wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y --force-yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring app-install-data-medibuntu apport-hooks-medibuntu && sudo sed -i "/^# deb .*partner/ s/^# //" /etc/apt/sources.list && sudo apt-get --quiet update

It should install with out errors now.

jmate24

Command edited/rearranged now.

Qwertinsky
December 7th, 2011, 07:45 AM
When doing the first step I get the errors:

W: A error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: http://extras.ubuntu.com maverick Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 16126D3A3E5C1192 Ubuntu Extras Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>

W: Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/maverick/Release

W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

On the second step I get the errors:

E: Unable to locate package rubyripper
E: Unable to locate package gnome-sushi

I don't know how to fix the first step error and I am guessing the second step errors are related.

ubuntu-freak
December 7th, 2011, 02:33 PM
When doing the first step I get the errors:

W: A error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: http://extras.ubuntu.com maverick Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 16126D3A3E5C1192 Ubuntu Extras Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>

W: Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/maverick/Release

W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

On the second step I get the errors:

E: Unable to locate package rubyripper
E: Unable to locate package gnome-sushi

I don't know how to fix the first step error and I am guessing the second step errors are related.

Try executing the following terminal command to fix the GPG error:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 16126D3A3E5C1192

Regarding the packages it couldn't find, gnome-sushi isn't available for Ubuntu 10.10, so you can remove that package name from the install command. Rubyripper is available from Getdeb for Ubuntu 10.10, so I'm not sure what's going on there. I presume you downloaded and installed the Getdeb package to add the repo - if not you should and try again. Remember though, you can edit the install command and remove anything you think is unnecessary for you and your needs.

rshel
December 8th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I am having an unusual problem, I think. Since upgrading to 11.10, I notice that the sound played on certain websites is garbled and echo-y. This happens in all browsers (firefox and chromium) but not on all websites. For example, Youtube and the Daily Show flash videos play with no problem. Many popup ads sound garbled (yeah, no loss there) but so does the streamed music from Google Music and other music sites. So why would some websites produce garbled sound and some not? Sound from the computer--music, notifications, etc.--is fine. This is just a problem on some websites. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ubuntu-freak
December 8th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I am having an unusual problem, I think. Since upgrading to 11.10, I notice that the sound played on certain websites is garbled and echo-y. This happens in all browsers (firefox and chromium) but not on all websites. For example, Youtube and the Daily Show flash videos play with no problem. Many popup ads sound garbled (yeah, no loss there) but so does the streamed music from Google Music and other music sites. So why would some websites produce garbled sound and some not? Sound from the computer--music, notifications, etc.--is fine. This is just a problem on some websites. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You could try adjusting the PCM slider in alsamixer. Also, make sure you don't have more than one plugin installed for handling Flash content as well. If you still have issues, try booting using an older installed kernel. Finally, if none of that works remove Flash Player completely and install it manually with the Deb from Adobe's website.

P.S. See if you have the same problem in Chromium. Install the chromium-codecs-ffmpeg- extra package to get full multimedia support.

TheIrishKush
December 8th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I am trying to install Natty codecs from my Hard Drive because my p.c cannot connect to the internet but not one codec will install and I am quite unfamiliar with Ubuntu 11.04

please help me

ubuntu-freak
December 9th, 2011, 04:23 AM
I am trying to install Natty codecs from my Hard Drive because my p.c cannot connect to the internet but not one codec will install and I am quite unfamiliar with Ubuntu 11.04

please help me

Dependency hell perhaps? What errors are coming up? It can be a nightmare to install things in Linux without an internet connection, unless it's a fully self-contained Deb or RPM etc. Can't you secure temporary internet access somehow just to install the codecs? Even a 3G phone will do, so long as there's enough data allowance available.

jmate24
December 9th, 2011, 07:02 AM
here is an improvement for you!! and good work!!

in this line of installation seen here:

sudo -E wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo sed -i "/^# deb .*partner/ s/^# //" /etc/apt/sources.list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get -y --force-yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get install app-install-data-medibuntu apport-hooks-medibuntu

you can eliminate the && sudo apt-get install in red to simplify and streamline the installation. Otherwise if you run it as is then the other 2 medibuntu packages will not install because they are not a part of the && sudo apt-get -y --force-yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install that installs the medibuntu-keyring package.

jmate24
December 9th, 2011, 07:47 AM
i would also like to add that i install this...:

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-extras non-free-codecs p7zip-rar gimp libdvdcss2 libdvdread4 faac faad libdvdnav4 cd-discid aacplusenc gtkpod lame cdrdao soundconverter easytag easytag-aac chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra gconf-editor thoggen gecko-mediaplayer oggconvert alac-decoder cdparanoia ffmpeg flac lame vorbis-tools regionset build-essential debhelper fakeroot banshee banshee-community-extentions pidgin-musictracker ubuntuone-client-gnome python-ubuntuone python-ubuntuone-control-panel ubuntuone-control-panel ubuntuone-couch ubuntuone-file-storage-api ffmpeg2theora desktopcouch-ubuntuone thunderbird thunderbird-couchdb

i add this too: (for games and graphics reasons)

sudo apt-get install gnome-games gnome-games-common gnome-games-extra-data gir1.2-gnomegamessupport-1.0 gnome-cards-data openyahtzee libevas1 libevas1-engine-fb libevas1-engines-core libevas-engines-x libgl-mesa-dri-experimental libogre-1.7.3 ogre-tools python-evas python-glitch python-opengl python-gtkglext1 python-pyglew python-soya xscreensaver-data-extra libopengl-xscreensaver-perl rss-glx unicode-screensaver xscreensaver-gl xscreensaver-gl-extra

Note/Warning: If you want the BSOD and/or the Web Collage screensaver be warned with the BSOD I have on one occasion accidentally shut down my computer and caused filesystem damage and destroyed my hard drive. With the Web Collage you may end up getting porn downloaded to your computer so if it is a public computer or you don't want your parents, family, or young children seeing porn then don't install Web Collage. Because of these 2 reasons I have left them out of the graphics setup list above. Install them at your own risk.

Also if you do not like the games that come packaged with Lubuntu and would like to remove them completely after setting up gnome-games above then enter this command into the terminal:

sudo apt-get purge ace-of-penguins

and also install the latest driver form amd.com or nvidia.com

AMD Driver Link for Radeon HD Series Cards 64-bit:

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-11-11-x86.x86_64.run

Nvidia Driver Link for GeForce Linux 64-bit latest drivers:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/290.10/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-290.10.run

before you install AMD driver install this:

sudo apt-get install libqtgui4

then in Accessories>LXTermial type:

cd ~/Downloads && sudo chmod -x 'the-name-of-the-driver-installer-here'.run && sudo sh 'the-name-of-the-driver-installer-here'.run

then if you have an AMD Video card install this (but you may want to look at this page on how to install the proprietary driver first but if you have oneric just change Ubuntu\maverick to Ubuntu\oneric.https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

and then everything should work after a good reboot.

I hope that you all enjoy using *ubuntu as much as I do.

rshel
December 13th, 2011, 05:13 PM
You could try adjusting the PCM slider in alsamixer. Also, make sure you don't have more than one plugin installed for handling Flash content as well. If you still have issues, try booting using an older installed kernel. Finally, if none of that works remove Flash Player completely and install it manually with the Deb from Adobe's website.

P.S. See if you have the same problem in Chromium. Install the chromium-codecs-ffmpeg- extra package to get full multimedia support.

Thanks. I'll try your suggestions. As I said in my original post, the problem is with all browsers (chromium, firefox, google chrome, but NOT opera) but NOT all websites. NYTimes a/v and Google music, for example, are distorted; the daily show and other comedy central videos, youtube videos, and others are perfectly fine. That's what puzzles me. Why would some flash be fine and some distorted? And I do not have this problem on my older pc with the 32-bit version of 11.10. But I'll give your solutions a try.

ubuntu-freak
December 14th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks. I'll try your suggestions. As I said in my original post, the problem is with all browsers (chromium, firefox, google chrome, but NOT opera) but NOT all websites. NYTimes a/v and Google music, for example, are distorted; the daily show and other comedy central videos, youtube videos, and others are perfectly fine. That's what puzzles me. Why would some flash be fine and some distorted? And I do not have this problem on my older pc with the 32-bit version of 11.10. But I'll give your solutions a try.

Hope you find out what's going on. Not sure how I missed the browser(s) details in your post. Weird.

dasbrow
February 9th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Great job on the 2012 update.

After prepping the system with the code in the first box, code in the second box would not execute. I received an error: could not locate rubyripper message. I installed the repository for rubyripper and re-launched the command and all executed. I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 64.

ohdung
February 22nd, 2012, 08:46 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for making it super easy to get full multimedia support :)

Borunco
February 22nd, 2012, 10:57 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for making it super easy to get full multimedia support :)
I agree, this post has become one of my must go to's after a clean install.
Great job :popcorn:
borunco

bogdarnet
February 28th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Not sure what I'm doing wrong... I tried following the directions, but I'm still getting, "Could not determine type of stream" when I try to play some videos.

olddavew
March 8th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I am new to Linux in general and have only put Ubuntu 11.10 on this laptop ( an old IBM T30 ) a few days ago.
The only problem I am having as yet is the inability to play some DVD's.
I followed the instructions at the start of this thread to the best of my ability, but it would seem that I am doing something wrong or missing something.
I get the following responses in the terminal window which do not look right to me.

N: Ignoring file 'getdeb.list.bck' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension

This is repeated a couple of times.

When I try to play some DVD's with Movie Player I get.

Could not read DVD. This may be because the DVD is encrypted and a DVD decryption library is not installed.

I am able to play a couple of commercially produced DVD's that I assume are not encrypted.
Suggestions please, I have run out of ideas ( doesn't take a lot for that to happen lately )

Regards Dave

ford126
March 9th, 2012, 12:44 AM
I followed all the instructions, but Mplayer/vlc don't recognize an encypted DVD.
I installed all required packages, e.g. libdvdread4,libdvdcss2,non-free-codecs,w32codecs,etc,etc
I checked with "regionset" that my DVD player is set for Region 1.
My DVD player reads data CDs, data DVDs and non-encrypted movie DVDs with no trouble.

I'm running Natty 11.04 on a Dell Inspiron 530, purchased in 2008.
The same problem with old DVDs and newer ones, commercial ones and ones that I got from Costco (transfer of old super-8 home movies).

When I try to play one of these disks and select "no DVD menus", VLC complains
Playback failure:
DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/sr0".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/sr0'. Check the log for details.

I had exactly the same problem with Maverick and Lucid. I hoped upgrading would help.

If it is any use, here is the output of 'lshw -c disk' (with an encrypted DVD in the drive)

*-cdrom
description: DVD writer
product: DVD+-RW GSA-H73N
vendor: HL-DT-ST
physical id: 1
bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/cdrw
logical name: /dev/dvd
logical name: /dev/dvdrw
logical name: /dev/scd0
logical name: /dev/sr0
version: B103
serial: [
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc
Been at this for many days now, and am out of ideas.

ubuntu-freak
March 10th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I followed all the instructions, but Mplayer/vlc don't recognize an encypted DVD.
I installed all required packages, e.g. libdvdread4,libdvdcss2,non-free-codecs,w32codecs,etc,etc
I checked with "regionset" that my DVD player is set for Region 1.
My DVD player reads data CDs, data DVDs and non-encrypted movie DVDs with no trouble.

I'm running Natty 11.04 on a Dell Inspiron 530, purchased in 2008.
The same problem with old DVDs and newer ones, commercial ones and ones that I got from Costco (transfer of old super-8 home movies).

When I try to play one of these disks and select "no DVD menus", VLC complains
Playback failure:
DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/sr0".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/sr0'. Check the log for details.

I had exactly the same problem with Maverick and Lucid. I hoped upgrading would help.

If it is any use, here is the output of 'lshw -c disk' (with an encrypted DVD in the drive)

*-cdrom
description: DVD writer
product: DVD+-RW GSA-H73N
vendor: HL-DT-ST
physical id: 1
bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/cdrw
logical name: /dev/dvd
logical name: /dev/dvdrw
logical name: /dev/scd0
logical name: /dev/sr0
version: B103
serial: [
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc
Been at this for many days now, and am out of ideas.

When did you last perform a fresh install of Ubuntu? Something restrictive may have been installed at some point and is hampering things even now. First of all though, try playing a DVD in a brand new Ubuntu user account.

olddavew
March 13th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Re my problem with DVD's.
Tried a fresh install of 11.10 and all the updates.
Followed the How To and tried to play a DVD, no joy.

Went through a second time.
This time it loaded several programs including VLC, gimp etc. This did not occur on the first run through.
No errors shown on either run through.

Still no joy. Movie Player says that there is no decryption software, VLC reads the DVD title then stops.

I can play a couple of region 2 DVD's which I assume are not encrypted but not others.

Any advice would be welcome.

Regards Dave

ubuntu-freak
March 13th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Re my problem with DVD's.
Tried a fresh install of 11.10 and all the updates.
Followed the How To and tried to play a DVD, no joy.

Went through a second time.
This time it loaded several programs including VLC, gimp etc. This did not occur on the first run through.
No errors shown on either run through.

Still no joy. Movie Player says that there is no decryption software, VLC reads the DVD title then stops.

I can play a couple of region 2 DVD's which I assume are not encrypted but not others.

Any advice would be welcome.

Regards Dave

Did you come here right after a fresh installation or did you install anything before following this howto? I tested a few of my DVDs and didn't have any problems, plus the menus worked in Totem as well.

olddavew
March 15th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Hi I initially installed 11.04 from a CD and allowed the updates for that, then installed restricted extras then installed libdvdcss2.
I was able to play Story of Steam and Cream ( authorised story ) but not Hairspray, Harry Potter or Fraggle Rock.
I then found your How To guide and followed it to no avail so I allowed the update manager to change to 11.10 and tried again, this time it added several programs eg. VLC, gimp etc.
I still had the same result with the DVD's.

I decided to start from scratch and burnt a new 11.10 and installed that as a new installation, (so getting rid of all the possible problems which may have been hiding away) I did this while connected to the net to allow the installation to update while it was in progress.
Next I copied the instructions from the How To to a Writer document and closed Firefox.
I then followed the instructions and saw no errors but the same results occurred.
I decided to run through the How To again but this time did not visit the GetDeb site.
On initiation of the second command my installation then downloaded VLC, gimp etc.
I don't know why, or even if it should have.

The same results followed, Movie Player still says:
Could not read DVD. This may be because the DVD is encrypted and a DVD decryption library is not installed.

As far as I can see, I have followed the procedure, however, have I?

Regards Dave

jamesisin
March 20th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Does this howto not function with the PowerPC version of 10.04? I'm throwing errors all over the place.

W: Failed to fetch http://packages.medibuntu.org/dists/lucid/Release Unable to find expected entry free/binary-powerpc/Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)

jmate24
April 5th, 2012, 06:11 PM
This is for those of you using Ubuntu studio 12.04 Beta 2:

sudo -E wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo sed -i "/^# deb .*partner/ s/^# //" /etc/apt/sources.list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get -y --force-yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring app-install-data-medibuntu apport-hooks-medibuntu && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install xubuntu-restricted-extras non-free-codecs p7zip-full acroread vlc libdvdcss2 libdvdread4 faac faad cd-discid cdparanoia aacplusenc gtkpod lame cdrdao aacgain normalize-audio vorbisgain arista soundconverter exfalso winff devede openshot cheese gconf-editor lsb-core sound-juicer thoggen banshee mplayer2 gecko-mediaplayer oggconvert ffmpeg libdvdnav4 dvdrip todiskgui tovidgui avidmux regionset build-essential debhelper fakeroot

ubuntu-freak
April 6th, 2012, 12:21 AM
This is for those of you using Ubuntu studio 12.04 Beta 2:

sudo -E wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo sed -i "/^# deb .*partner/ s/^# //" /etc/apt/sources.list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get -y --force-yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring app-install-data-medibuntu apport-hooks-medibuntu && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install xubuntu-restricted-extras non-free-codecs p7zip-full acroread vlc libdvdcss2 libdvdread4 faac faad cd-discid cdparanoia aacplusenc gtkpod lame cdrdao aacgain normalize-audio vorbisgain arista soundconverter exfalso winff devede openshot cheese gconf-editor lsb-core sound-juicer thoggen banshee mplayer2 gecko-mediaplayer oggconvert ffmpeg libdvdnav4 dvdrip todiskgui tovidgui avidmux regionset build-essential debhelper fakeroot

Just so people know, aside from a couple of pointless additions and personal faves, this command will change the default Firefox audio/video plugin and installs Sound Juicer instead of Rubyripper. I don't recommend Sound Juicer as it rips CDs too quickly and leaves your songs with terrible artifacts. Just stick with Rubyripper or even Rhythmbox.

jamesisin
April 7th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Sound Juicer as it rips CDs too quickly and leaves your songs with terrible artifacts. Just stick with Rubyripper or even Rhythmbox.

I thought Rhythmbox used the same backend for ripping as Sound Juicer?

Any comment on my G5 problem above?

jmate24
April 19th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Just so people know, aside from a couple of pointless additions and personal faves, this command will change the default Firefox audio/video plugin and installs Sound Juicer instead of Rubyripper. I don't recommend Sound Juicer as it rips CDs too quickly and leaves your songs with terrible artifacts. Just stick with Rubyripper or even Rhythmbox.

you can no longer find rubyripper in the repos in 12.04.

plus, in gconf-editor you can adjust how paranoid the cdparanoia is the best one is repair)16

also you may want to try banshee or clementine.