PDA

View Full Version : Whats so great about being involved with open source?

Aaronr808
April 25th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm currently writing my dissertation in the UK about collective intelligence and the open source movement. I'm very interested in the motivation people have to help out in a open source community, which can involve a large amount of time.

So my question to you is, What do you find attractive about working unpaid for an open source community?

Would you ever like more of a reward for the work you produce?

It would be great to hear from you all, keep me posted!

Ghil
April 25th, 2008, 02:56 PM
The thing is, I don't consider this work actually. It's more of a trade. I help others, and when I need they are there to help. That is what is great about Open source and the community. receive and give back, all while having fun (After all it's one of the best communities around, with lots of great people ;))

Mit kebes
April 25th, 2008, 02:57 PM
There is something deeply satisfying about helping to make something. It's like running an obstacle course, its difficult sometimes but it feels great to finish.

zachtib
April 25th, 2008, 03:26 PM
It got me a great job...

While in college, I started the Deluge project with kripkenstein, another member of this forum. VMware saw the project online and contacted me about an employment opportunity this summer, with the possibility of it becoming full time once I finish my degree.

It's a good way to get your name out there, especially while you're in school, and it can pay off nicely.

Nunu
April 25th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Think of it like this. In the "Real world" People these days tend to look away when someone needs help. But the Linux community is just that, its a community of people with the same interest and the same problems. We stand together for the greater good of the software we believe in. We work together to build on what we want to achieve. Even if its the guys developing the kernel or the guy sitting at home translating messages into his language or the guys on this forum helping to solve others problems.

That is exactly what ubuntu means... Humanly. In this virtual community we share, we are more Human then Humans are in our "Civilized Real World". We are friends, colleagues and family. We don't fight wars here, we don't kill, we don't murder, we don't rape. We respect each others believes and religions. we are ubuntu

Well at least thats what Open Source means to me.

Sporkman
April 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM
It's the meeting of a hobby & philanthropy.

Ub1476
April 25th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Currently I'm just helping people out at the forums.. But I basically feel to share the software philosophy. That humans which works together with open minds can achieve great work. That depending upon one single source is not always the correct road, and that people should have the freedom to judge software as what is best for them, not what other tell them. Linux has given me all this and I feel other should be aware of it as well.

DMK62
April 25th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Hi

For many of the people on this forum and others the idea of whether or not they are being paid never crosses their mind.

Of the many reasons to assist others I have found the following

- It is their way to " pay back " the open source community and developers for the linux distro they use on their computer(s).

- The I have been a newbie in the past and remember how difficult it was at first and they want to help others with the learning curve.

- It expands their knowledge of the operating system, programs, and hardware.

- They feel that their contribution helps advance the open source movement.

- Many people just like to help others irregardless of whether its computers or something totally different.

My personal reasons for helping out include the above but mainly I see it as my way of giving back to the community. Although I do have programming knowledge its not something that I use on a regular basis. I prefer to answer a post and see it through until the problem is resolved and the user is happy with their system and will continue to use linux.

The biggest reward is when the person replies back with a thank you and the problem is resolved. Can't put a price on that.

Dale

jdong
April 25th, 2008, 05:06 PM
For me:

(1) It's great experience: I want to do something in Computer Science when I get out of school and open source allows me to get involved in everything from coding to community building to quality assurance. Trying to find internships and courses in all of these areas is much more difficult and doesn't give as good breadth of experience.

(2) Some of it's stuff I'd do for myself: If I need a todo app, or I need to package this update for my computer, why not help everyone else at the same time?

(3) There is a sense of accomplishment and positive feeling to know that you are doing something to help others, or when your work is recognized and adopted by others.

(4) It's simply a hobby that I enjoy doing.

MNICY
April 25th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I think it is because they have found that Open Source software is great. It may not be perfect, but it does get bug fixes very quickly after they are found, and there is alot (not all, but quite a bit considering the circumstances) of quality software.

Some people think that the least they can do to thank the developers who made this free software is to help out :)
Improving or making new software helps strenthen the open source movement.

Also, im willing to bet that almost all these people code for fun (as well as work in some cases). It does not feel like work when you enjoy it.

Another thing is, (i think alot of people do this):
You make software for yourself. For your desktop. Your not going to sell it, becasue it is not quite aweosme enough. But, you can help out other people with similar needs by making it avalable for free download.

Tundro Walker
April 26th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I think personally it's knowing that I can participate and help guide where things are going, rather than just having to accept what I'm given.

When I use Microsoft and have issues, all I can do is complain, and feel ignored when my issue never gets resolved.

But with open source, if I have an issue, I can get in there and do something about it. Or, pay someone else to do something about it. Either way, I have the capability to control my fate rather than feeling like a victim of circumstance.

Aaronr808
April 27th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Hi I'd just like to thank you all for the replies you have sent in so far, they are great!

Now lets consider something else, if so many of you can join together to form a community, that can support each other, and develop new products. A community that relies on a network of people all around the world. Is it possible that communities online, similar to yours, could join together to help defeat bird flu, tackle global warming, keep communities safe, provide support for disaster victims, teach and learn, design and even make physical products?

Is there anything stopping communities like yours, from combining collective intelligence and forming a new global brain, a global brain that could make huge changes to the planet we live on?

Aaronr808
April 27th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Hi I'd just like to thank you all for the replies you have sent in so far, they are great!

Now lets consider something else, if so many of you can join together to form a community, that can support each other, and develop new products. A community that relies on a network of people all around the world. Is it possible that communities online, similar to yours, could join together to help defeat bird flu, tackle global warming, keep communities safe, provide support for disaster victims, teach and learn, design and even make physical products?

Is there anything stopping communities like yours, from combining collective intelligence and forming a new global brain, a global brain that could make huge changes to the planet we live on?

PmDematagoda
April 27th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Aaronr808:- Please do not start duplicate threads on the same topic/issue, one thread in the appropriate section will be more than enough.

macogw
April 27th, 2008, 04:37 PM
For me:

(1) It's great experience: I want to do something in Computer Science when I get out of school and open source allows me to get involved in everything from coding to community building to quality assurance. Trying to find internships and courses in all of these areas is much more difficult and doesn't give as good breadth of experience.

(2) Some of it's stuff I'd do for myself: If I need a todo app, or I need to package this update for my computer, why not help everyone else at the same time?

(3) There is a sense of accomplishment and positive feeling to know that you are doing something to help others, or when your work is recognized and adopted by others.

(4) It's simply a hobby that I enjoy doing.
What he said. But he's getting a better CS degree than me because he's at MIT.