PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade OK, boot... NO

Blastomorpha
April 25th, 2008, 01:25 PM
It took about 4 hours to fetch packages and install (via upgrade manager... yes that thing), but installation ended succesfully... I thought, because now the poor old T40 hangs loading Hardware Abstraction Layer modules, taking 2 minutes to get there!
And now what I'm supposed to do :confused:

Blastomorpha
April 25th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Trying to shoot down manually boot process ended and took me to the login command line.
So I logged and tried startx command... no sound, no wifi, user switcher failed... nothing!

Blastomorpha
April 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I think it's a kernel problem, because this time I didn't select the upper one in the grub (the one the upgrade installed), and I'm sure that I'm using 8.04 by
cat /etc/lsb-release

Puru
May 3rd, 2008, 11:07 AM
Got the same HAL issue here.

Well, if unplugging any not necessary device doesn't help, it's probably an acpi problem.

Here what I did:

boot without acpi support, by adding

acpi=off

at the end of the kernel line in grub's menu. You don't need to manually edit menu.lst file, as you can select the kernel and press "e" to edit a line, than "b" to boot.

Without acpi hardy started fine (but without removable disk support and auto-off). Then I used apt-get to fix dependencies (the hal hang prevented some installations). Everything fine at next boot.

Hope this helps!