PDA

View Full Version : A just "helped my neighbor"!

BWF89
December 9th, 2004, 11:28 PM
EDIT: Thanks for moving my thread!

So I was talking to this who I sits next to in my library studyhall. He said "Hey BWF, why do you always visit all these Linux sites? What is Linux" I was like "Linux is an OS kinda like Windows and Mac. Only better because you don't get viruses and all that nasty stuff". He thought it was cool so I decided to burn him a Ubuntu live CD. I went to give it to him in Social Studies (first period) But he said he didn't have a computer. So I decided that I had to give the CD to someone because I didn't want to carry it around all day so during my Visual Basic.NET class I tried to give it to my friend Shawn who sits next to me but he didn't want it either. Then this kid (forget his name) who sits near us overheard me talking about Linux and said "Wow!, is that Ubuntu? I tried to download SuSE a few days ago and left my PC on for 3 days but it wouldn't work. Then I tried to download Ubuntu but my connection is too slow. Could you hook me up with one of those?' So I hand it to him and he knew everything you had to do to get it working. So the next day in VB.Net class I asked him how it worked and he said it was really good only he coulnd't get online because he has dial up and just clicking on the browser woudn't do anything...

Now I know what Richard Stallman was talking about when he said with free software you can "help your neighbor" and it feels pretty good. You coulnd't do this with Windows or OSX. That's for sure...

In addition to telling people about Linux. Whenever I use the iMacs in the school library right before the bell rings for me to go to gym I sign on a linux website like Suse, Distrowatch, or even GNU and minimize the page so the next person who uses the computer can be like "What is Linux? Mabye I should look into this." but their probably like "I'm exiting this so I can look watch skate videos" but atleast I tried...

oddabe19
December 10th, 2004, 04:42 AM
You can always minimize this site
http://home.comcast.net/~amsilveira/linuxsite
actually... that's just a shameless plug.

I love the fact that people are actually interested in linux... whenever i recieve my cd's ( :-() which I haven't recieved yet... i plan on really passing them out all over my university.

BWF89
December 10th, 2004, 09:52 PM
You can always minimize this site
I'll start doing that. I even linked the site to my mirror site for my online gaming forums http://tng.itgo.com/ so I can easily to remember. www.KMFMS.com is also another good site. Although it's more anti-Microsoft than pro-Linux...