PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Headphone jack not working

sammydlm
April 25th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Hello all. I tried this once before with no success, but I would like to try once more. I have an Everex NC1502 laptop with a Via processor with integrated audio. Ever since I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on it, I have not gotten any audio from my headphone jack. Yesterday I upgraded to 8.04 hoping that it would fix the headphone jack problem, but it is still the same. Audio through the internal speaker works fine and when I plug headphones in, the audio through the speaker stops, but nothing is heard through the headphones. When I unplug the headphones, the audio returns to the speaker. My headphone jack works just fine in Windows. I like Ubuntu very much, but not having the headphone jack for VOIP and listening to music in public places is a problem for me. Can anyone help? I am very new to Linux, so please try to dumb things down for me and be as specific as possible. Thanks in advance.

LaRoza
April 25th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Hello all. I tried this once before with no success, but I would like to try once more. I have an Everex NC1502 laptop with a Via processor with integrated audio. Ever since I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on it, I have not gotten any audio from my headphone jack. Yesterday I upgraded to 8.04 hoping that it would fix the headphone jack problem, but it is still the same. Audio through the internal speaker works fine and when I plug headphones in, the audio through the speaker stops, but nothing is heard through the headphones. When I unplug the headphones, the audio returns to the speaker. My headphone jack works just fine in Windows. I like Ubuntu very much, but not having the headphone jack for VOIP and listening to music in public places is a problem for me. Can anyone help? I am very new to Linux, so please try to dumb things down for me and be as specific as possible. Thanks in advance.

Get asoundconf-gtk and run it, and see if that helps.

sudo aptitude install asoundconf-gtk

Run it with the command:

asoundconf-gtk

sammydlm
April 25th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I did it and it came up with a screen asking me to select a default sound card. The two choices are VT82XX and PulseAudio. Which should I select?

LaRoza
April 25th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I did it and it came up with a screen asking me to select a default sound card. The two choices are VT82XX and PulseAudio. Which should I select?

Either :-) If it doesn't work, try the other.

sammydlm
April 25th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Selecting either one did not work for my headphone jack. I also forgot to mention before that when I go to the alsamixer, there is only Master Front, PCM, Front, Microphone, Capture, Capture1, and Digital-- no headphones. I have messed around with all of the levels to see if anything would affect the headphone volume, but nothing worked. Any other suggestions?

sammydlm
April 27th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I just wanted to follow up-- does anybody have any other suggestions?

sammydlm
June 3rd, 2008, 03:22 AM
Hi all. I just wanted to follow up and say that my headphone problem was finally solved! Here is the link to the bug with instructions on how to solve it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/184314

Hope it helps... Thanks!

mastermatt63
June 5th, 2008, 07:25 AM
did this help u sammydlm?

sammydlm
June 7th, 2008, 09:43 PM
The short answer is yes. I recommend that you read through the entire discussion from my last posted link and see what I eventually did in the end. You have to follow a series of steps and while doing it, I actually missed one little thing, so I had to go back and do it again. In the end, it worked just fine and I finally had, for the first time, a headphone volume level control in the mixer. Just so you know, when it first shows up it is muted, so make sure to unmute it!