PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with downloading in Synaptics

SneakyBooBoo
April 25th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Is anyone else having problems over the last couple days downloading packages with synaptic? After i select my packages, i click apply and it says downloading at unknown rate, like it cant connect or something? Or it works after like a long long wait but slow.

Is there a problem with the servers or did i tinker with something bad?

Ferio
April 25th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Same thing is happening to me, I can't upgrade although I've been trying it for ages.

SneakyBooBoo
April 25th, 2008, 12:51 PM
probably maintenance on the server or its congested from everyone trying to download and upgrade. dunno. i'll wait a couple days and see what happens.

daranz
April 25th, 2008, 12:56 PM
The repository servers seem to be overloaded due to Hardy just coming out. You might wish to use a mirror (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors)

SneakyBooBoo
April 25th, 2008, 12:59 PM
i thought as much. i guess i'll just put up with it for the next couple days or so.

amyst
April 25th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I can't use synaptic to get packages on Hardy. I can use sudo apt-get install though. Do the two methods download from the same repos?

SneakyBooBoo
April 25th, 2008, 05:18 PM
yeah i think they do.

amyst
April 25th, 2008, 05:33 PM
That would mean there's something wrong with synaptic package manager. The first time I run synaptic after a clean install of Hardy, the packages were downloaded successfully and fast. The second time I run it, synaptic hung. Closing it and restarting over the last day but it still hung. On Gutsy the same method worked.

Never mind that. I attempted on Gutsy and similar problem occurs.

SneakyBooBoo
April 25th, 2008, 05:39 PM
it does hang from time to time on my machine but it always comes around in a couple seconds or so. its possible its hanging when its updating the repos and your dependencies.

amyst
April 25th, 2008, 05:56 PM
The last time I attempted synaptic it hang for > 5 min. I think I'll leave it on for tonight and see if it does anything.

Thanks for the tip, so synaptic probably isn't broken.