PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 Server (64 bit) Text based install hangs at 85%

snelo
April 25th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Have a new machine Intel 64bit, 2GB RAM, 160GB SATA drive.
Tying to set up Hardy server...

Basically it seems to work fine - but it HANGS at 85% (after you've selected which demons you want running (eg LAMP, DNS, MAIL, etc)

From what I can figure from other posts re earlier versions, it is because APT is hung.

Apparently if you're running the live CD and installing workstation you can just open a terminal and kill the "apt-get update" process but how do you get around it in the text based install?

I'm reasonably confident that the CD is OK - a) I checked the MD5 Checksum and b) after burning (and verifying the disk against the ISO) I used the installer check disk and it said it was OK

jack handy
April 25th, 2008, 11:41 AM
the 32 bit installation from the alternate cd hung at 85% for about 15 minutes on my laptop, but eventually unblocked. perhaps its the same with the 64 bit version. how long did you wait?

FredB
April 25th, 2008, 12:05 PM
85% is the time when translation are loaded. And with overwhelmed servers... Just skip it if you can.

snelo
April 25th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I wasn't waiting long enough - I've just given it a good half hour (prepared to leave it until morning - local time is 9:30pm)

And now it is finished ... it'd be nice to know how to bypass it tho'