PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 doesn't recognize NVidia card, while it was fine in 7.10

Malfet
April 25th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Afte upgrade I've found that new Ubuntu does not recognize NVidia graphic card, while it was working perfectly in Ubuntu 7.10. Is there a possibility to downgrade back to Ubuntu 7.10???

gtdaqua
April 25th, 2008, 09:38 AM
it wont work because, ubuntu 8.04 runs a different kernel.

But NVIDIA will install without any probs. Here is a guide to install it:

This is the Guide. Ignore the Title. It works for Hardy too.
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=596875)

gtdaqua
April 25th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Is there a possibility to downgrade back to Ubuntu 7.10???

Hardy is supposed to be more stable than Gutsy although I never had any probs with Gutsy.

Everytime your kernel is updated, you have to run the NVIDIA installer with "sudo sh ./NVIDIA-file-name.run"

Malfet
April 25th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Hardy is supposed to be more stable than Gutsy although I never had any probs with Gutsy.
Everytime your kernel is updated, you have to run the NVIDIA installer with "sudo sh ./NVIDIA-file-name.run"

In Ubuntu 7.10 I just run Driver Manager and it found my NVidia card and install driver properly. 8.04 doesn't recognize it - I don't see a point in OS stability without a proper work of a graphic card.
By the way, Ubuntu 8.04 recognize my USB web-cam, while 7.10 did not, but I do not want to exchange graphic card for web-cam and see no way except to go back for 7.10
I just afraid of reinstalling all the software and my settings again...

Malfet
April 25th, 2008, 09:55 AM
it wont work because, ubuntu 8.04 runs a different kernel.

But NVIDIA will install without any probs. Here is a guide to install it:

This is the Guide. Ignore the Title. It works for Hardy too.
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=596875)

Thanks I will try! Even I do not have a "latest", but pretty old NVidia...

gtdaqua
April 25th, 2008, 10:03 AM
so, the restricted driver manager does not show NVIDIA automatically??
I dont know how to sort that out, but I like to do stuff myself. They are more reliable. You can download the latest NVIDIA - its just 17 MB!

But in any case, pl tell how the installation went or wat u did.

Malfet
April 25th, 2008, 10:16 AM
so, the restricted driver manager does not show NVIDIA automatically??

No. It did in Ubuntu 7.10, but not in 8.04. Actually, it show, but ask a restart and then inform me that system can not recognize a graphic card. Becides, it destroy proper keyboard layout, so I can not login and have to fix it from concole mode.