PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot install 8.04 - initramfs

azurehi
April 25th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I have downloaded 8.04 X3 and also the alternate install image. Each time I get the screen with BusyBox v1.1.3(Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntuiz) built-in shell (ash)
initramfs
I have read another thread about changing the bios but have no idea how to access this or how to change, or why I need to. I have used ubuntu since 6.06 and have Never had this problem - why with 8.04. I am Completely Stuck and very frustrated. I would appreciate any help.

Peter09
April 25th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Check the quality of your CD.

Reburn it at the slowest level to ensure you have no errors.

PC

jedimasterk
April 25th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Check the quality of your CD.

Reburn it at the slowest level to ensure you have no errors.

PC

Has nothing to do with it!!!!. Poor SATA support is the problem!. I got the same thing with 3 burns from different mirrors. Two Live cds' and an alternate cd!. All booting into (initramfs)_ prompt. This version should be pulled, before Ubuntu get's a bad rap!!!!.

azurehi
April 25th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I have reburned all images at the slowest rate. I also managed to change BIOS for IDE to RAID and there was no change. Through F6, adding "pci-nomsi" produced no change. I continue to receive the initramfs prompt. Does installing 7.10 (never an installation problem) and upgrading to ubuntu 8.04 seem a viable option? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

vincent8422
April 25th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I got the same initramfs error after choose Install on the boot menu. I'm going to try again using an USB CDROM tonight.

azurehi
April 25th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I have tried all suggestions and even tried kubuntu 8.04, getting the same initramfs prompt - I guess I'll have to give up on HH 8.04.

bullfrog2
April 25th, 2008, 07:53 PM
i have had ubuntu since the 5.10 days never had any trouble installing any of them but 8.04 is something else. cant after four d.l. from different places burn at the slowest speed checked disk no errows. cant even up grade it always stops on 27 of 37 updates. no only on one p.c. but. both they are both on 7.10 on trouble at all. on upgrade it will not show install updates on the bottom of update page. gonna stay with 7.10 until i shipit c.d. maybe it will be better.:(

vincent8422
April 26th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I got the same initramfs error after choose Install on the boot menu. I'm going to try again using an USB CDROM tonight.

Cool. After disconnected my SATA DVDRom, Vista Hard-drive, and USB Drive. I can check-cd and installed 8.04. I'm a happy Ubuntu 8.04er now!

Next steps would be setup jeOS and Vista on KVM. And Raid if possible. :)

I cannot get ATI X700 driver working though, but whatever. I can live with 1024x768. And maybe recycle my 2nd monitor.

Cool.