PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of Hardy?

piratesmack
April 25th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I really like it

I've been running it all day and haven't had any problems yet.

The newer version of Compiz-Fusion is pretty awesome, too

robalcorn
April 25th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Some weird things happened but managed to solve on my own and probably created on my own. I will say this though no more wasting time on testing or feeling out other distro's Ubuntu Hardy is the answer to everything for everyone flat out. Way 2 go to all that made the best O/S in history.

Helios38
April 25th, 2008, 06:37 AM
i run xubuntu 8.04

love it, havent needed to boot up windows for anything.

1 thing, xubuntu ALWAYS messes up my color depth on install, i always have to fix it manually.

damn you xorg.

piratesmack
April 25th, 2008, 06:41 AM
i run xubuntu 8.04

love it, havent needed to boot up windows for anything.

1 thing, xubuntu ALWAYS messes up my color depth on install, i always have to fix it manually.

damn you xorg.

yeah I have to add this to my xorg.conf

SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection

to get my resolution right

nina_aoki
April 25th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I downloaded 8.04 to two machines earlier tonight -- the download and update took forever, but it was well worth it.

This version is incredibly slick and all of the wireless issues I was having with my HP Notebook were also fixed with this release too. Also - new versions of Open Office and lots of other apps - all extremely cool.

I'm personally pleased to see how much Ubuntu has matured as an OS - especially with Red Hat saying that they were staying out of the desktop market last week. A few more tweaks and I think Ubuntu will be poised to challenge the establishment as a reasonable alternative for those who don't consider themselves 'geeky enough for linux' -- but it just works!

I think everyone should take a good look at this release and update. Both of my machines are running perfectly.

- nina

T-Virus
April 25th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Yeah I've updated yesterday night and well, I didn't encountered any problems yet. And it wasn't a fresh install. Yep, really happy here.

namegame
April 25th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I like it, for some reason Compiz wouldn't work for me in Gutsy, however, it runs fine in Hardy.

I would like to say that Hardy is a good release, but from what I have seen from some other distributions lately, Ubuntu is about to have some serious competion.

piratesmack
April 25th, 2008, 06:47 AM
The only problem I'm having is installing software is slow because the servers are so crowded right now

ravish99
April 25th, 2008, 06:50 AM
my wireless driver dosent work...bc4311...iv tried all sorts of stuff with fwcutter and ndiswrapper...but it never seems to work...im on a hp dv2401
id be extreemly ga=rateful if someone could help me out...im running 8.04

mivo
April 25th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Haven't installed yet, but torrented the CD and hope to find a bit of time on the weekend. I'm always hesitant to upgrade right away and shy a little away from having to reinstall my apps and get the 32-bit stuff working on the 64-bit system (I need Java webstart and the original Java browser plugins). But I see a lot of positive messages, so I'll probably hop in on the weekend or early next week. :)

bodhi.zazen
April 25th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Moved to the cafe as it is not a request for support.

piratesmack
April 25th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Moved to the cafe as it is not a request for support.

Thanks

sorry I posted it in the wrong category