PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Slow Upgrade

jedimasterk
April 25th, 2008, 04:29 AM
So far 1181 of 1225 fetched and slow as beans. Wish this would speed up.

jedimasterk
April 25th, 2008, 04:30 AM
File 1181 must be a 1GB file.

iaculallad
April 25th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Everybody seems to be upgrading so server's are on their bottle-neck.

ptcbus
April 25th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Use torrents for extremely quick upgrade to 8.04. See http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html

jedimasterk
April 25th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Use torrents for extremely quick upgrade to 8.04. See http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html

I don't see where the torrents are on that page. Just how to install 8.04. Which I'm following from that site.

Dale61
April 25th, 2008, 05:00 AM
It took me 100 hours to upgrade from Dapper two weeks ago, but upgrading now was always going to be slow.

I wish I could get $1 from everyone who is upgrading this weekend!

ptcbus
April 25th, 2008, 05:43 AM
The exact link for torrent file is now available on the webpage mentioned above. (Link (http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html))

ayampanggang
April 25th, 2008, 05:53 AM
yeah the server is soooo slow. but the torrent isn't progressing so good for me either =/

File 1181 must be a 1GB file.
loller

mwacky
April 25th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I can't even start the upgrade process, I was able to grab a iso through torrent early for a fresh install. Awesome! No wonder the servers are overloaded.

jedimasterk
April 25th, 2008, 06:00 AM
The exact link for torrent file is now available on the webpage mentioned above. (Link (http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html))

I got the alternate cd iso image. It's just the getting Updates is what is taking so much time.

ptcbus
April 25th, 2008, 06:02 AM
I got the alternate cd iso image. It's just the getting Updates is what is taking so much time.

Have you tried installing without the updates?

jedimasterk
April 25th, 2008, 06:02 AM
I can't even start the upgrade process, I was able to grab a iso through torrent early for a fresh install. Awesome! No wonder the servers are overloaded.

Well 1214 of 1225 getting there.

jedimasterk
April 25th, 2008, 06:04 AM
You watch. It will get them install them and then won't work!. After 4 hours.

forkd
April 25th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I torrent downloaded the images and upgraded without the updates. For some reason I had to install gnome after the upgrade and gcc for vmware but that's all I had to download. In a few days I'll apply the updates but the torrents are the way to go.

I'm uploading @ 130kb/sec and will keep uploading for another day or so. I've already uploaded about 7GB. I assume a lot of people are keeping their bittorrent clients uploading because I downloaded the images in no time.

NJC
April 25th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I've tried 4 times to run the Upgrade. Stalls at "Preparing to Upgrade" stage ... using dialup too. I'm mostly curious to see how large 8.04 Update is - hopefully my work PC finally downloaded the ISO and will prolly end up doing a clean install.

jedimasterk
April 25th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I give up on this upgrade!. Worst version of Ubuntu yet!. Iv'e been using Ubuntu ever since 5.04, and have never had the problems I am having with this version. And it's LTS!!. Live CD and Alternate CD don't work. "(intramfs)_" on boot!. I should have saved my 3 blank disks. Canceled my Shipit order!. How can you have bad SATA support?. Everyone is using SATA now!.

iaculallad
April 25th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Stop grudging on 8.04. Hardy's working on my system with (2) 250GB SATA and Drive. I did a clean install yesterday (RC version) and whooaa... it just worked. Just be patient on finding the solution. Try downloading other torrent on verified location. I got mine on ubuntu.com website download page.

jedimasterk
April 25th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Stop grudging on 8.04. Hardy's working on my system with (2) 250GB SATA and Drive. I did a clean install yesterday (RC version) and whooaa... it just worked. Just be patient on finding the solution. Try downloading other torrent on verified location. I got mine on ubuntu.com website download page.

So explain to me why I never had this problem with 5.04,5.10,6.06,7.04 0r 7.10!. There is more than just this problem!. How is a straight newbee to linux going to handle this. Go back to Vista!.

jedimasterk
April 25th, 2008, 07:40 AM

I've already wasted 3 blank disks!!.

iaculallad
April 25th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Don't be too arrogant.. a newbie (a year and a half of using Gentoo Linux) could still give advices/solutions that works.
Try checking the ISO's md5 hash - then try burning it using a lower speed, say 2x or 4x. If all else fail's - try downloading on a verified location.

jedimasterk
April 25th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Don't be too arrogant.. a newbie (a year and a half of using Gentoo Linux) could still give advices/solutions that works.
Try checking the ISO's md5 hash - then try burning it using a lower speed, say 2x or 4x. If all else fail's - try downloading on a verified location.

I did all of that. I'm just saying that this should work right out of the box like the past versions have! I'm not being arrogant! md5 hash good, used 3 different mirrors for each iso, burned at safest speed. Doesn't work. Something was changed for the worse in this distro for all of this to happen. What was it?. I don't know.

iaculallad
April 25th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Others Im sure had successfuly installed Heron like myself. Maybe, there's a ghost in your PC :-) altering your configurations :-) Just joking... try googling on solutions, maybe there are some who had experienced the same problem even after burning at a lower speed and checking if it has the right md5 hash... Go Hardy

mwacky
April 28th, 2008, 06:29 AM
What's your hardware? I take it you are doing a fresh install. Maybe the cpu model, graphics card, processors, etc. can help us point you in the right direction.

The downloads have been slow, but when I ran the upgrade process for an old cpu that started as Edgy it has taken super long, all day today.