PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Toshiba Jack Sense Problem (Hardy)

crusher_of_c
April 25th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Hi,

I am using a Toshiba Satellite A 200 AH 9 with a Realtek ALC861-VD sound card. I have just installed Hardy and am having problems with my sound output. Sound works on both my laptop and headphones at the same time. There seems to be no jack sense. I have encountered this problem and possible solutions with other Ubuntu versions, but there seems to be no documentation for Hardy. I am a fairly new user so please try and explain anything I have to do with plenty of description. Thank you in advance for any help.

RandyNose
May 27th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Yea, I have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4656 with a, Realtek ALC861-VD intel sound chip. I have the same problem, I also have 8.04 installed, and to get the headphones to put anything out, I had to add the line

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

Add this line to get the headphones to put sound out.

options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1 model=3stack

There is a post over here...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4826100&highlight=Realtek+ALC861-VD#post4826100

That has one re- compiling, haven't given it a shot as of yet, I don't have the time at the moment, if it breaks things, to fix things. I went through a mess with Feisty to get it going, and don't feel up to it at the moment.

ginjabunny
June 11th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I have a Toshiba Satellite L30-10V with ALC861-VD and I have had problems with 7.10 and 8.04, I could either get the speakers to work or headphones but not both at the same time and the headphones didn't override the speakers.

I have now GOT IT WORKING properly (hurrah), this is what I did, it failed when run with sudo so I had to enable root and logon to get this to work (do - sudo passwd root, and enable root login on the login window), in terminal run

apt-get install module-assistant

module-assistant a-i alsa-source

... then reboot

now when I open volume control I have "HDA ATI SB (alsa mixer)" when I change device and I have headphone and speaker sliders in it and both work and speakers cut out when headphones are plugged in.

Hope this helps :)

it also worked (hurrah) on on my Asus Pundit which has a ALC861 chipset

robboguy
July 6th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks ginjabunny, I can confirm your fix worked for my Toshiba A300/M00

sixblades
July 25th, 2008, 10:08 PM
@ginjabunny:
Rather than allowing root logon you could just login to a root shell. Open up a terminal and type
sudo su Enter your password. You are now "logged in" as root!

phidia
July 25th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I have a Toshiba Satellite L30-10V with ALC861-VD and I have had problems with 7.10 and 8.04, I could either get the speakers to work or headphones but not both at the same time and the headphones didn't override the speakers.

I have now GOT IT WORKING properly (hurrah), this is what I did, it failed when run with sudo so I had to enable root and logon to get this to work (do - sudo passwd root, and enable root login on the login window), in terminal run

... then reboot

now when I open volume control I have "HDA ATI SB (alsa mixer)" when I change device and I have headphone and speaker sliders in it and both work and speakers cut out when headphones are plugged in.

Thanks for this! I ran those commands and rebooted but there is still no main speaker muting on my laptop :(

I have a HP pavilion with the same problem-although main speaker muting-with headphones plugged in works in opensuse 11 without any additional configuring.

hotweiss
July 26th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Hi,

I am using a Toshiba Satellite A 200 AH 9 with a Realtek ALC861-VD sound card. I have just installed Hardy and am having problems with my sound output. Sound works on both my laptop and headphones at the same time. There seems to be no jack sense. I have encountered this problem and possible solutions with other Ubuntu versions, but there seems to be no documentation for Hardy. I am a fairly new user so please try and explain anything I have to do with plenty of description. Thank you in advance for any help.

You can try this solution here:

http://www.immv.es/index.php?page=linux-on-a-toshiba-a200-12x

And this one here:

http://personales.ya.com/ambeon/toshiba.html

shadybones
October 1st, 2008, 09:36 AM
my problem - headphone out doesn't work
fixed by adding the mode=3stack to the hda option

my new problem - speakers won't stop when headphone is plugged in

I'm new to linux, so if something requires more than copy/paste then it's beyond me, but I've done all that this thread suggests on my satellite A135-S4666, to no avail. as for what's not listed here, I've tried various alternatives I've found on the web for the option entry into alsa-base, but they all seem like different ways to do the same thing. the commands:

sudo su
alsa force-unload
modprobe snd-hda-intel

came in handy to try out a new configuration of alsa-base without restarting (as I said, I just copy/paste and believe anything I'm told).
I've even re-compiled the alsa-source with the module-assistant and all that, without success.
My Hardy is a fresh install and up to date.
I'd appreciate a contact from anyone else with a A135-S4666 or closely related model about this issue.

pauix
January 4th, 2012, 12:55 PM

... then reboot

That did not work for me, but thanks for the information!