PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless broken (Cannot obtain IP Address)

bullyballa
April 25th, 2008, 12:45 AM
After upgrading to 8.04 my wireless broke. I'm using ndiswrapper and can see all the networks in my area yet I cannot connect. I tried using Wicd instead of Network Manager, yet no luck. It times out on "Obtaining IP"

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
A.J.

bullyballa
April 25th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I think I found the problem I ran dmesg in terminal and it said this

[ 144.518664] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[ 144.519671] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
[ 239.746480] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
[ 239.889330] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

Though I have no idea how to fix that... any help would be appreciated

schmildo
April 25th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Give some more details about your wireless settings; Are you using WPA?

I had the same problem, (not obtaining an IP address) until I picked a Key index. I was using WPA2 Personal authentication with AES encryption.
When I edited the properties of my wireless connection on my laptop to use key 1, it worked. and of course...

. /etc/init.d/networking restart

... can never be overused.

portach king
April 25th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I'm having the ame trouble with the b43 driver. Won't connect unless I'm very close by the router.
Won't conect to the wireless network in college at all.

portach king
April 25th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I'm having the same trouble with the b43 driver. Won't connect unless I'm very close by the router.
Won't connect to the wireless network in college at all, which is unsecured.

bullyballa
April 26th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Give some more details about your wireless settings; Are you using WPA?

I had the same problem, (not obtaining an IP address) until I picked a Key index. I was using WPA2 Personal authentication with AES encryption.
When I edited the properties of my wireless connection on my laptop to use key 1, it worked. and of course...

. /etc/init.d/networking restart

... can never be overused.

Yeah the problem seems to be because I was trying to use WPA. I can connect if it unsecured, but not if I try and use WPA. I don't quite know why though. I thought I was setting the key correctly in Wicd. Any ideas on how I can try and get it working with encryption?