PDA

View Full Version : I bought a dog!

SomeGuyDude
April 25th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Man. I couldn't be happier. :KS

Meet Hurley (http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachnhurley/). Yes, he's named after the character from LOST. :lolflag:

Tomosaur
April 25th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Nice dog :D

sports fan Matt
April 25th, 2008, 12:40 AM
He sure looks happy:)

m15hun
April 25th, 2008, 12:55 AM
He looks a top boy! :)

With his breed you need to keep on top of health issues as they can be prone to certain things. (breathing problems, overheating etc)

Get a good pet insurance policy and make him exercise (gently) even if he doesn't want to! Oh and always carry water when you're out on a walk and keep him hydrated.

SomeGuyDude
April 25th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Oh I will. I had heard of issues with bullies, so I went out and bought a small stack of books about the breed (including "Bulldogs for Dummies", oddly...), so I'm hopefully on top of everything. Just need to get the insurance policy in line, that's all I'm lacking.

And he is absolutely GORGEOUS. Worth every penny of the $2000 I'm spending!

LaRoza
April 25th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Man. I couldn't be happier. :KS

Meet Hurley (http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachnhurley/). Yes, he's named after the character from LOST. :lolflag:

Nice dog. As mentioned before, make sure you read up on care and hygiene of that breed, as I recall, they require a little extra effort.

LaRoza
April 25th, 2008, 12:59 AM
And he is absolutely GORGEOUS. Worth every penny of the $2000 I'm spending!

We have different tastes in dogs...

Why is he so expensive?

m15hun
April 25th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I couldn't agree more. They are well worth all the time and money we spend on them. The best thing I ever did was getting my dog, he is (without wanting to use a cliche) my best friend! :D

TBOL3
April 25th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Wow, no wonder why you use linux, that dog costs $$$, and more $$$. But it is a nice dog.

The dog I have was from the pound. Much cheaper, but she still has some problems, unfortunately.

Superkoop
April 25th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Lol love the pensive picture you have of him!
Random fact: the mascot of the public school in my town is the bulldog. =) And the college I will be attending has the same mascot. =D

+1

SomeGuyDude
April 25th, 2008, 01:19 AM

Why is he so expensive?

He's an AKC purebred English Bully, has his papers and pedigree and all that. Plus, apparently, bullies are hard as balls to breed. It's almost always artificial insemination, and they're born by c-section due to the size/shape of their heads (apparently the litters were VERY small before they started doing that). So the price runs from $1500 from lower quality breeders to $4000+ for puppies from champion lines. Since I'm not a breeder or a shower, I don't need one of that caliber, but this guy's beautiful all the same.

LOL TBOL3. You got that right. I haven't even finished my tattoo because I'm saving up.

I grew up with cats, and it's kinda funny. A dog can run a few grand, but people practically throw cats at you. When I was a kid, my mom got our first cat from the neighbors. The second cost $10 at a local pet store. The one we got just before I started high school was a street cat we just took in. Dogs? Yikes.

But the rule is, single guys aren't allowed to own cats. It's Man Law. Ever known a single guy with cats? If you have, you know why it's Man Law.

schauerlich
April 25th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Was Anonymous after you?

LaRoza
April 25th, 2008, 01:36 AM
He's an AKC purebred English Bully, has his papers and pedigree and all that. Plus, apparently, bullies are hard as balls to breed. It's almost always artificial insemination, and they're born by c-section due to the size/shape of their heads (apparently the litters were VERY small before they started doing that). So the price runs from $1500 from lower quality breeders to $4000+ for puppies from champion lines. Since I'm not a breeder or a shower, I don't need one of that caliber, but this guy's beautiful all the same.

I grew up with cats, and it's kinda funny. A dog can run a few grand, but people practically throw cats at you. When I was a kid, my mom got our first cat from the neighbors. The second cost $10 at a local pet store. The one we got just before I started high school was a street cat we just took in. Dogs? Yikes.

But the rule is, single guys aren't allowed to own cats. It's Man Law. Ever known a single guy with cats? If you have, you know why it's Man Law.

Ah, anti-Darwin dogs.

Yeah, I love dogs and cats, but would rather own a cat. Cats are easy to get, many are free.

TBOL3
April 25th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Ah, anti-Darwin dogs.

Yeah, I love dogs and cats, but would rather own a cat. Cats are easy to get, many are free.

lol lol lol.

But have you actually read darwin? Actually, a large point of on of his books (Origin of Species). is on domestication. Thus, none naturalism-ist..

SomeGuyDude
April 25th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Ah, anti-Darwin dogs.

Pfff, Darwin. I saw Expelled, I know what's up!!!

I like dogs and cats, but really the bully just caught me like a damn tractor beam. I had no choice, it HAD to be a bulldog. There was no option.

joe.turion64x2
April 25th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Nice dog there. I'd like to have a dog (or a cat), if only I had space for it. In Mexico it is easy to get either of them (for free too).

Yesterday I saw a little cute monkey in "Malcolm in the middle", I'd like to have one too.

LaRoza
April 25th, 2008, 02:23 AM
lol lol lol.

But have you actually read darwin? Actually, a large point of on of his books (Origin of Species). is on domestication. Thus, none naturalism-ist..

Yes, I read it.

anti-Darwin was a joke on the dog, not Darwin or any particular theory.

TBOL3
April 25th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Yes, I read it.

Yup, as you can see, it was a great lap, I mean laugh.

SomeGuyDude
April 25th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Yes, I read it.

What's funny is the bulldog DID evolve logically, just for fighting bulls. The flat nose and undershot jaw so he could clamp on and still breathe, the wrinkles to funnel blood flow away from the eyes and nose, the low wide stance so he'd be strong but be able to get "under" the bull and avoid getting gored, etc...

LaRoza
April 25th, 2008, 02:58 AM
What's funny is the bulldog DID evolve logically, just for fighting bulls. The flat nose and undershot jaw so he could clamp on and still breathe, the wrinkles to funnel blood flow away from the eyes and nose, the low wide stance so he'd be strong but be able to get "under" the bull and avoid getting gored, etc...

I am familiar with their purpose. Many died doing this, they were essentially meat tenderizers that were disposible.

kerry_s
April 25th, 2008, 03:09 AM
nice dog, but instead of spending that much on one you could have adopted. you could have made the difference.

SomeGuyDude
April 25th, 2008, 03:26 AM
nice dog, but instead of spending that much on one you could have adopted. you could have made the difference.

I would have had to go quite a distance. I spent two months looking up bulldogs on Petfinder spanning a 300 mile radius. Nothing doing except one or two with such severe health problems I'd never have been able to keep up.

And if you're going to try and guilt me for not adopting whatever dog I could, I hope you're planning on adopting children instead of having one of your own.

chucky chuckaluck
April 25th, 2008, 03:30 AM
quite the beast. while he's asleep, put a couple of pieces of cheese under his jowls.

ibuclaw
The one we got just before I started high school was a street cat we just took in.

Cats, among the most familiar of animals, are ineffably mysterious.
They spend 85% of their day doing absolutely nothing. Eating, drinking, killing, crapping and mating take up just 4% of their life. The other 10% is just used to get around. Otherwise they are just asleep, or sitting.

Apparently, cats were the last animals to be domesticated 3,500 years ago by the ancient Egyptians.
Well, it is infact that the cat has domesticated us, in their own time, for their own reasons!

Today, only a quarter of cat "owners" say they deliberately went out to acquire a cat. In 75% of the cases, it was found that the cat acquired them.
Some door-to-door studies have also shown that more people claim to own a cat than there are cats.
When your cat disappears for a while, it most likely isn't off on a hunting expedition, but sitting in your neighbours' lap having another free meal whilst being stroked and loved.

Cats need the equivalent of five mice a day. And will only each the equivalent of one per portion. You can use this as a measure as to how many owners your cat really has. ie: if you feed it twice a day, chances are the cat has 2 or 3 other owners apart from you!

Milk, cat food and central heating are all bad for cats.
- Milk gives them diarrhea.
- Cat food rots their gums.
- Central heating causes them to moult all year round. (They lick off and swallow their fur, which clogs up their digestive system).

Research has shown that apart from human beings, cats have a wider range of personalities than any other animal on the planet. And they very, very intelligent... when they can be bothered!

There are numerous documented accounts of owners abandoning their cats only to find that they've traced them 200 miles back home. (or on holiday).

Most cats carry a parasite thought to have a long-term, irreversible effect on the human brain.
Toxoplasma Gondii may turn men into grumpy, badly dressed loners and women into promiscuous, fun-loving sex kittens. Half the British population are already infected...

LaRoza
I would have had to go quite a distance. I spent two months looking up bulldogs on Petfinder spanning a 300 mile radius. Nothing doing except one or two with such severe health problems I'd never have been able to keep up.

And if you're going to try and guilt me for not adopting whatever dog I could, I hope you're planning on adopting children instead of having one of your own.

Yeah. Nothing wrong with getting a dog like you did.

Adopting is full of problems. The animals often have special needs, or problems that need to be address. Bulldogs are not the easiest dogs to care of (in that they need specific care to begin with).

LaRoza
April 25th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Cats, among the most familiar of animals, are ineffably mysterious.
They spend 85% of their day doing absolutely nothing. Eating, drinking, killing, crapping and mating take up just 4% of their life. The other 10% is just used to get around.
Otherwise they are just asleep, or sitting. Apparently, cats were the last animals to be domesticated 3,500 years ago by the ancient Egyptians.
Well, it is infact that the cat has domesticated us, in their own time, for their own reasons!
Today, only a quarter of cat "owners" say they deliberately went out to acquire a cat. In 75% of the cases, it was found that the cat acquired them.
Some door-to-door studies have also shown that more people claim to own a cat than there are cats.
When your cat disappears for a while, it most likely isn't off on a hunting expedition, but sitting in your neighbours' lap having another free meal whilst being stroked and loved.

I know someone (a relative) who have this cat, well, not really. They have a bowl outside, and the cat is almost always there. When I asked, is that your cat? He (the "owner") responded "He thinks he is", but I am beginning to think the Cat thinks he is in charge.

kerry_s
April 25th, 2008, 05:07 AM

sorry, to hear that, at least you tried. all my babies were adopted/saved. i would get as many as i could, but are housing rules only allow for 2, i had 4 and had to give up 2, i really hope they went to a good home, i fought in court, but lost. :sad:
mine are pitbull/retriever mix, they love kids and are very protective, they are always near me when i'm home, they follow me everywhere. :lolflag:

SomeGuyDude
April 25th, 2008, 05:28 AM
sorry, to hear that, at least you tried. all my babies were adopted/saved. i would get as many as i could, but are housing rules only allow for 2, i had 4 and had to give up 2, i really hope they went to a good home, i fought in court, but lost. :sad:
mine are pitbull/retriever mix, they love kids and are very protective, they are always near me when i'm home, they follow me everywhere. :lolflag:

Keep in mind rescuing, for most, isn't a viable alternative to getting a pup off a breeder. You have to really, really be able to sink the time, effort, and money into helping those dogs. In many ways, you're not just their owner, but you're helping to rehabilitate them and give them a good life they couldn't get before. For most of us, that's just more than we're capable of, it's all we can do just to be a good owner for a happy, well-socialized pup!

TBOL3
April 25th, 2008, 05:49 AM

My adopted dog is with you all the time, unless she smells food, then it doesn't matter, she'll leave you hanging on a rope for more food. I need to give her more excersize, or feed her less, she's beginning to get a bit fat.