View Full Version : [ubuntu] internet disconnection

April 25th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I just tried to update from previous version (7.10, Ubuntu Studio) to Hardy, and not everything went fine. To start with, there were and still is a problem with the internet connection. After a while it simply disconnects by itself. Restarting the machine helps getting it connected again, but only for a limited time, it seems.

Is there any useful shell commands for setting and checking the connection?

April 25th, 2008, 12:13 AM
it is a server problem,so u have to wait a couple of days,cause everybody update now

April 25th, 2008, 12:15 AM
but if u want just for self education

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get upgrade

April 25th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Use the bit-torrents, they are very very fast even now. I upgraded using bit-torrents and have listed the steps here (http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html).

April 25th, 2008, 12:42 AM
I believe that the problem is not that you are being disconnected, but that there is way too much of a load on the official Ubuntu servers. I would recommend using the torrents. The Ubuntu release is probably one of the most well-seeded torrents I have seen, so don't worry about download speed. I maxed out my connection. Granted, it is a measly 386Kbit line, but still, it means something to me.
I hear (I haven't upgraded yet, the torrent is still going) that you can upgrade from the alternate CD, so grab the torrent for your architecture's alternate disk, boot into it, and select upgrade from the menu.