PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How much RAM do I really need?

Yes
April 24th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Right now according to top, I'm using about 250 Mb of RAM. So does that mean that if I only had 512 Mb, I would still be running as fast as I am now with 2 Gb?

How does that work?

Thanks!

psychofish25
April 24th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Right now according to top, I'm using about 250 Mb of RAM. So does that mean that if I only had 512 Mb, I would still be running as fast as I am now with 2 Gb?

How does that work?

Thanks!

Well, that's partially true. When you're using 250 MB of RAM, its running more efficiently the more space you have. If you had 512 MB RAM, your computer would still run fast, but not nearly as fast as if you had 2GB. This is because your swapfile can only transfer so much information asnd your processor can be used, causing your computer to run slower. 2 GB is great to have because it will last for several years until more demanding OSs come out . If you are a gamer, 2GB is perfect. Just remember, you can always take out your RAM and use it in your next computer.

Jon Monreal
April 24th, 2008, 11:55 PM

How does that work?

Thanks!
That can be correct or incorrect. This would depend on the speed and the clock of the RAM. The motherboard also factors in, as well as the processor (it can bottleneck) as far as how fast things are transferred from the HDD to memory.

However, if the RAM was identical in that it had the same speed, it would be just as fast as only having 512MB. However, as you run more programs, you would end up using more and more RAM, and being low on RAM would effect system performance. This is why it is useful to have more RAM.

Hope this helps you.

elmer_42
April 25th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I am no expert on this, but I think that it will run the apps you have open now just as well with only 256MiB. The real performance difference is when you get open more than that. Right now I have Firefox, Amarok, Thunderbird, XChat, Pidgin, and rTorrent open, not to mention a few background processes like Compiz and Gnome-Do. My computer is using only 22% (445MiB) of my 2GiB of RAM. So if you run a lot of applications, you will notice a difference.

Yes
April 25th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Aw, ok. I kind of hate to think that I'm using less than $15 dollars worth of my RAM, but I suppose it'll come of use in the future.

Thanks!