PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Numerical keypad doesn't work w/8.04

bcardarella
April 24th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Just upgraded. Everything seems to work fine with the exception of my numerical keypad. The hardware is OK, I can see that it is producing output with the xev command, an it's not the numlock key.

I checked my xorg.conf file and that didn't seem to change for my keyboard layout. I'm guessing that the new version of Gnome is overriding something. (as Gnome LOVES to do... but I could be wrong) Any ideas?

bcardarella
April 25th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Nevermind, I guess the accessibility option got turned on that had the numerical keypad control the mouse. I shut it off and everything works perfectly.

For those looking:

System/Preferences/Assistive Technologies/Keyboard Accessibility/Mouse Keys

and just turn it off

msegmx
June 18th, 2008, 12:10 AM
thanks for ur answer man, i was pretty dissapointed until i found ur thread. thanks 2 google too :D

abazoskib
July 17th, 2009, 11:08 PM
just posting because the same thing happened to me. this is a bug in one of the updates because i definitely didn't turn this option on.

Giggity
July 21st, 2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience. Same thing happened to me with 9.04, but knowing what happened helped me solve it quickly.

Trylmand
July 30th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Thank you, solved my problem !

stolsvik
January 13th, 2010, 02:27 PM
(Too bad there aren't any "Thanks!" button here)

Thanks!

I know for absolute certain that I have never consciously enabled this - so either it have happened "by itself" for some stupid reason, or I have hit some stupid key-combo ******** that enabled it. In any case, it is completely absurd, and such a feature should not turn itself on by chance, and there should not be a key-combo enabled by default. Basically if such a key combo exists and is enabled by default, it boils down to being a "destroy numeric keypad without user knowing what the **** happened" hidden hotkey.

pararoly
January 15th, 2010, 03:53 PM
same prob. fixed. thanks :-)
roland

jayshomebrew
January 30th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Fixed my problem too in ubuntu 8.04. one of the updates must have changed it. I thought it was my MS Office keyboard..

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/3558/screenshotkeyboardprefe.png

angelot
February 22nd, 2010, 01:45 AM
I had this issue with 9.10 too. Thanks for the tip - it solved my problem.

meklu
March 2nd, 2010, 09:17 PM
Thank you very much! Same happened to me in Karmic.

HunkTB
March 5th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Same happened when I upgraded from Karmic 09.10 to alpha lucid 10.04; the update must somehow change the configuration.

TakensM
April 14th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks a lot , i had this problem too in version 9 , i almost got used to it but now it is solved ! thanks a lot for this post

gabrielqs
May 28th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Same happened here, on lucid lynx.

emecas
June 3rd, 2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for your post.... it also works for 10.04 , problem solved

EmeCas

mobidyc
June 20th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks,

you made my day :popcorn:

The Minder
October 9th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Dude... you are brilliant.

I was playing poker online and some idiot cracked my AA with K9... I got frustrated and hit the keyboard/keypad a couple of time. Moments later my keypad stopped working and I assumed I had broken something. Quick trip to the store, buy a new keyboard, home and reboot my computer and the damn keypad STILL didn't work.

A quick Google and I found this thread. Somehow, the combination of keystrokes I triggered when I stomped the keyboard turned this function on.

Thanks heaps mate. :)

bonesTdog
October 9th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Nevermind, I guess the accessibility option got turned on that had the numerical keypad control the mouse. I shut it off and everything works perfectly.

For those looking:

and just turn it off
Worked perfectly for Lucid Lynx. Thanks! An easy quick solution for an annoying problem!

zelalem
October 25th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks a lot. It solved my problem as well.

shoualacoder
October 27th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks lot for sharing your experience, i had the same issue since months.
My problem is solved on Ubuntu 10.04.

allxk
February 21st, 2011, 09:27 AM

For those looking:

and just turn it off

Thank you! Its working!

ctothej
May 21st, 2011, 02:04 PM
I am still having this issue with 10.10! It reverts back to mousekeys enabled every now and then all by itself. Soo frustrating.

schmoe76
May 26th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I am still having this issue with 10.10! It reverts back to mousekeys enabled every now and then all by itself. Soo frustrating.

Yes, me too. I never remember the fix. I always have to google for this thread.

My question is - what is causing Ubuntu to continually revert back to "Pointer can be used to control the keypad" mode?

I have a hard time believing that Canonical would purposefully and continually set the keypad to a mode that is non optimal for the vast majority of users. That would be like continually resetting the keyboard layout to dvorak.

There must be some combination of keys that is triggering this mode. Something that we all are unintentionally typing.

MrHara
October 24th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Thx, This helps also for me (10.04). Questions is really why/ how this happend? I'm 100% sure I have never set numpad be like mouse control? could it be some apps which do so?