PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Seamonkey and Firefox

sports fan Matt
April 24th, 2008, 11:12 PM
What is the major difference between the 2? I know Seamonkey is part of mozilla

CFBauer
April 24th, 2008, 11:16 PM
What is the major difference between the 2? I know Seamonkey is part of mozilla

On 10 March 2005, the Mozilla Foundation announced that they would not release any further official versions of Mozilla Application Suite beyond 1.7.x, since they are now focused on the standalone applications Firefox and Thunderbird. However, the foundation emphasized that they would still provide infrastructure for community members who wished to continue development. In effect, this means that the suite will still continue to be developed, but now by the SeaMonkey Council instead of the Mozilla Foundation. SeaMonkey 1.0 was released on January 30, 2006.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SeaMonkey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Application_Suite

spiderbatdad
April 24th, 2008, 11:27 PM
SeaMonkey is being developed and has all the latest security patches available in firefox.

March 25, 2008
SeaMonkey 1.1.9 Security Release

Today, the SeaMonkey project released a new version of its all-in-one internet suite. SeaMonkey 1.1.9 closes several security vulnerabilities and fixes several smaller problems found in previous versions. With that, SeaMonkey stays at the same level of security as its sibling Firefox, which is issuing updates for the same problems this week as well.

The SeaMonkey team urges users of older SeaMonkey versions, including the SeaMonkey 1.0.x series, which no longer receives security updates, to upgrade. Additionally, the team continues to strongly urge people still using the old Mozilla Suite or Netscape 4, 6 or 7 to upgrade to the new SeaMonkey 1.1.9 version. All these older software packages suffer from a large and steadily increasing number of security vulnerabilities because they are no longer being maintained. SeaMonkey 1.1.9 is a modern, drop-in replacement, providing the same familiar suite functionality with additional features and fully up to date security.

SeaMonkey 1.1.9 is available for free download from the open source project's website at www.seamonkey-project.org.

kerry_s
April 25th, 2008, 12:19 AM
there both very different, you just got to try it. most notable will be the lack of plug in's for seamonkey. preferences is also different, alot of stuff hidden in firefox is not hidden in seamonkey. there's also a huge lack of themes. seamonkey can be fully tweaked, you just got to do some looking around. i don't bother, i just want a browser that works.

i prefer seamonkey(aka:iceape in debian) myself, i only use the browser part, not the rest(iceape-browser).