PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] samba/windows domain-problem accessing files

snorkytheweasel
April 24th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I have 2 linux computers which are part of a Windows Domain. Both are listed in Active Directory.

Using Konqueror and Dolphin as file managers,
both of the Ubu 7.10 PCs

can "see" any Windows computer in the domain
can access shared files & folders on any of the Windows computers.
can "see" each other - including seeing shared directories
So far, so good, but each Ubu box

cannot access each other's files and directories

Using Windows Explorer,
Windows PCs

can "see" both Linux PCs
can "see" and access shared directories and files on other windows PCs
So far, so good, but Windows computers

cannot access shared files and directories on the Linux computers

Error conditions:

Using Dolphin as a file manager

I can "see" shared directories on the other Linux machine, but if I click on a shared directory, the error message returned is:
smb://is-computername/home/directoryname does not exist
Then dolphin opens the directory (the one that doesn't exist), but it is empty.

Using Konqueror as a file manager,

the error message returned is
the file or folder smb://is-computername/directoryname does not exist
Then Konqueror opens the directory (the one that doesn't exist), but it is empty.

Going the other direction, using Windows Explorer, windows computers

can "see" each of the Linux PCs
can see shared directories and printers on the Linux boxes
When I attempt to open a shared directory, windows prompts me for a user name and password. User name and password are the same on each Linux PC and in active directory. However, when I enter the user name and password, the dialog box blinks and asks again, ad infinitum.

Summary:

Linux-to-Windows file access is one-way
Linux-to-Linux file access is "No way. Jose"

IMHO, it shouldn't be that way. I must be doing something wrong (again).

Is this fixable?

FSHero
March 24th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I am having a very similar problem. Unfortunately, I have not time to talk atm, but I'll say this:

I'm dual-booting Kubuntu Hardy (8.04) amd64 and Windows Vista (SP1). I've got an NTFS partition and a home ext3 partition.

Using K-menu -> System Settings, choosing Sharing option, clicking File Sharing on LHS bar, I can add shares.

I try to add shares from the NTFS partition: e.g. a folder /media/data/download using Samba, but no other computer can access this.

Bizarrely, if I add a share from my ~ (ext3) partition, e.g. /home/fshero, I _can_ access this from any computer.

So for now, my workaround is to store files I want to share on my /home partition; too bad it's only 2GB in size!!!

- Minesh

(I'll keep an eye on this; perhaps this Saturday after I finish a project write up I can talk more!)

FSHero
April 2nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
Please see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1113933 for more details on my problem. Some things work, some don't.