PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No sound for youtube/break, screen resolution help!

tsnax4
April 24th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Hi,
I just updated to 8.04 last night and now I do not get sound on any internet videos, what happened? Do i need to reinstall a package or something of that sort.

My other/biggest problem is my inability to change my screen resolution, any time i go to system/preferences/screen resolution I get an error reading... The X Server does not support the XRandR extension. Runtime resolution changes to the display size are not available.
I already tried running the dpkg-reconfig xorg (not exact) command and that did not fix my problems.

Can anyone please help on these 2 issues? greatly appreciated.

macogw
April 24th, 2008, 08:56 PM
libflashsupport is needed for sound on Flash with PulseAudio

April 24th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I can confirm that this is indeed the solution to the "no sound in flash" problem.

fordp
April 24th, 2008, 10:43 PM
This worked for me too.

Why does it not install that package automatically ??

Is this not a bug?

Thanks for the help !

tsnax4
April 24th, 2008, 11:53 PM
thanks for the help, anyone know whats up with the second issue?

psyke83
April 25th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Please see my post here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4785624#post4785624

dasunsrule32
April 25th, 2008, 05:12 AM
This problem is based on whether you have esd, alsa or pulse installed. If you are doing a fresh install, then you will have pulse installed. If you have audio issues with alsa, make sure to have libesd-alsa0 loaded. That will take care of the same issues. Also, if your Firefox 3 starts taking a dive while you are playing, uninstall the libpulsesupport, that is what is causing it, and load libesd-alsa0. Coolio, good luck boys!

psyke83
April 25th, 2008, 02:27 PM
This problem is based on whether you have esd, alsa or pulse installed. If you are doing a fresh install, then you will have pulse installed. If you have audio issues with alsa, make sure to have libesd-alsa0 loaded. That will take care of the same issues. Also, if your Firefox 3 starts taking a dive while you are playing, uninstall the libpulsesupport, that is what is causing it, and load libesd-alsa0. Coolio, good luck boys!

Everybody has ALSA installed, and both ESD and PulseAudio use the ALSA drivers.

PulseAudio now *replaces* ESD in Hardy, so there is no need to install libesd-alsa0; in fact it could probably cause conflicts.

The proper fix for Flash issues is being worked out here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/192888

A solution for now is to install libflashsupport to give PulseAudio support to flash, but it causes some instability (crashes in Firefox).

dasunsrule32
April 28th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Everybody has ALSA installed, and both ESD and PulseAudio use the ALSA drivers.

PulseAudio now *replaces* ESD in Hardy, so there is no need to install libesd-alsa0; in fact it could probably cause conflicts.

The proper fix for Flash issues is being worked out here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/192888

A solution for now is to install libflashsupport to give PulseAudio support to flash, but it causes some instability (crashes in Firefox).

Interesting, then why is when I unload the libesd-alsa0, I get no sound at all, even when I select the pulse audio sound and have the libflashsupport loaded. I checked aptitude and it is loaded. I guess I prefer using the aforementioned lib file because I have no issues using that file.