PDA

View Full Version : Ksplice: Kernel Security Patches without Reboots

toupeiro
April 24th, 2008, 08:36 PM
If anyone reading this thread has any influence as to what may get picked up in future releases of Ubuntu, PLEASE consider this for 8.10. This is a huge win for Linux, which already is known for not requiring many reboots at all.

http://web.mit.edu/ksplice/doc/ksplice.pdf

phrostbyte
April 24th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Put this up on http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com

I will vote for it.

klange
April 24th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I'd like to see this in Hardy+1. Finally, one step closer to truly never having to restart. (My mother found this while perusing the MIT admissions site before I even read it, lol )

phrostbyte
April 24th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I will put it up on brainstorm.

phrostbyte
April 24th, 2008, 09:43 PM
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/7544/image/1/ (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/7544/)

Andrewie
April 24th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Is this going into the Main kernel?

klange
April 24th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Is this going into the Main kernel?

Ksplice requires no kernel changes, it's really just a complex binary patching system designed specifically for use on the Linux kernel. (It is itself a kernel module, though)

toupeiro
April 24th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks for posting this, phrostbyte! This would be a very powerful addition to ubuntu desktop and server!

Andrewie
April 25th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Ksplice requires no kernel changes, it's really just a complex binary patching system designed specifically for use on the Linux kernel. (It is itself a kernel module, though)

thanks for clearing that up

Patsoe
June 28th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Sorry for reviving a very old thread, but this is relevant enough I'd say... http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/06/27/2238255/Ksplice-Offers-Rebootless-Updates-For-Ubuntu-Systems

"Ksplice has started offering Ksplice Uptrack for Ubuntu Jaunty, a free service that delivers rebootless versions of all the latest Ubuntu kernel security updates. It's currently available for both the 32 and 64-bit generic kernel [...]"

gnomeuser
June 28th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Wow what a remarkably good idea for implementing universal security holes..

Patsoe
June 28th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Wow what a remarkably good idea for implementing universal security holes..

...because someone with sufficient privileges to live-patch a kernel wouldn't be able to wreak havoc in a million different ways already, anyway? ;)

gnomeuser
June 28th, 2009, 09:58 AM
...because someone with sufficient privileges to live-patch a kernel wouldn't be able to wreak havoc in a million different ways already, anyway? ;)

Sure but isn't that like saying installing rusty nails in your underwear isn't a problem since anyone with access there could easily hit your nads with an icepick anyways.

It's tempting to do this for the nice ring rebootless updates has but in reality it taints the kernel for a good reason, not only is it an unrequired security hole it is also bound to lead to instability and I can't see upstream merging this into the kernel anytime soon so it's also additional work your vendor have to merge with every update. Finally it does not work for all update, if you change anything non trivial (such as updating a struct), you cannot use ksplice and you still need to reboot.

I would be all in favor of a solution that would work regardless of the update, but that kind of work is much harder and more invasive.

Patsoe
June 28th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Sure but isn't that like saying installing rusty nails in your underwear isn't a problem since anyone with access there could easily hit your nads with an icepick anyways.

The comparison would remotely make sense if you had a purpose for those rusty nails there... and even then, no. If I was American I'd start inserting links to informal fallacies here ;)

It's tempting to do this for the nice ring rebootless updates has but in reality it taints the kernel for a good reason, not only is it an unrequired security hole it is also bound to lead to instability [...]

It's not a security hole, it could potentially have security holes... that's different.

Finally it does not work for all update, if you change anything non trivial (such as updating a struct), you cannot use ksplice and you still need to reboot.

Sure. But if it reduces the number of reboots by a factor of four, do you still think that's not worth it? (How many security patches involve changing definitions of structs?...)

I would think it's worth it. Even if you risk new security holes (let's face it, more code = more potential for holes, that's just the way it is), if you can significantly reduce the amount of time that admins leave other holes unpatched, that's a netto win.

sim-value
June 28th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Implemented already...
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/7523/

Patsoe
June 28th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Implemented already...
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/7523/

http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1284489&cid=28501609

gnomeuser
June 28th, 2009, 11:41 AM
http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1284489&cid=28501609

I can assure you that Fedora is not doing this like that comment suggests. There might be 3rd party scripts to do it but the project most definitely does not do ksplice.

Patsoe
June 28th, 2009, 11:53 AM
But if it reduces the number of reboots by a factor of four, do you still think that's not worth it? (How many security patches involve changing definitions of structs?...)

Actually, it turns out it's a lot better than one in four. More like eight out of nine: http://ksplice.com/cve-evaluation

edit: @gnomeuser: I think that's exactly what that comment says?

Thirtysixway
June 30th, 2009, 01:52 AM
I may be interested in this more if their website said they had support for -server kernels. I would use it on my ubuntu server (8.04) only because it's a home server and it's not like it has a custom kernel or anything...

Does it only apply patches or does it upgrade the whole kernel (will the version number change?)

scorp123
June 30th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I may be interested in this more if their website said they had support for -server kernels. http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/faq

Q: Which Ubuntu kernel flavors does Ksplice Uptrack support?

A: We are now supporting all three main Ubuntu kernel flavors: generic, server, and virtual.

I assume this answers your question?

Does it only apply patches Looks like it. I just tried it on my laptop. It applied six patches.

or does it upgrade the whole kernel (will the version number change?) I still have the same version number like before.

scorp123
July 2nd, 2009, 08:03 AM
This morning the update-manager reported that there was a new "linux-image" available for download ... So I did the usual "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" ... And still no pop-up telling me to reboot.

So far so good I guess?

nexus9k
July 2nd, 2009, 03:57 PM
No, I believe you have a new kernel from ubuntu installed now. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but there isn't currently a smooth integration of ksplice and ubuntu kernel updates at this moment.

philcamlin
July 2nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
cool i should have got this yesterday !!

i had to reboot for liek the third time in a 2 month peroid :D:popcorn:

scorp123
July 2nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
there isn't currently a smooth integration of ksplice and ubuntu kernel updates at this moment. From the ksplice.com web site:

"Running the latest version of Ubuntu? Say goodbye to reboots!"

Why would they say that if their stuff wasn't smoothly integrated? As I wrote above: So far no reboots, despite new kernel updates.

FuturePilot
July 2nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
From the ksplice.com web site:

Why would they say that if their stuff wasn't smoothly integrated? As I wrote above: So far no reboots, despite new kernel updates.

I'm guessing because you have to use a separate tool for it. I'm thinking what people want is nice integration with the existing update tools.

scorp123
July 3rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
I'm thinking what people want is nice integration with the existing update tools. Exactly. I am using the Ubuntu update manager. Still no reboots thus far. Despite there having been new "linux-image" and "linux-headers" packages. The other laptop without KSplice immediately reported "Restart required". This one with KSplice didn't say anything about reboots so far.

My kernel version currently is:

> uname -a
Linux serenity 2.6.28-13-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 2 07:57:31 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

A look into /boot/grub/menu.lst shows that this is the only kernel that is installed at the moment (I remove old kernel images so they disappear from GRUB too ...)

Either it's supressing the "Restart required!" message or it indeed doesn't need one?

It will be interesting to see what will happen if there is a big kernel update. Right now I'll leave the laptop running, just to see how far I can go without a reboot.

nexus9k
July 3rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Wow, looks like I was wrong.

$uname -rsm
Linux 2.6.28-13-generic x86_64

$uptime
12:29:23 up 7 days, 2:07, 5 users, load average: 0.03, 0.07, 0.15

Very cool!

scorp123
July 3rd, 2009, 09:16 PM
I rebooted ... just to see if there would be a difference.

Before reboot (taken from my posting above):

> uname -a
Linux serenity 2.6.28-13-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 2 07:57:31 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

After manual reboot (freshly typed into my terminal):

> uname -a
Linux serenity 2.6.28-13-generic #45-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 30 19:49:51 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

So ... there was in fact a kernel update. And I needed to manually reboot in order to get to the new kernel (2.6.28-13-generic #44 vs. #45).

Given this, I now have doubts about KSplice ... What's the purpose if I in fact still need to reboot to activate the latest kernel that I just pulled via the update manager?

FuturePilot
July 3rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
I rebooted ... just to see if there would be a difference.

Before reboot (taken from my posting above):

> uname -a

After manual reboot (freshly typed into my terminal):

> uname -a
Linux serenity 2.6.28-13-generic #45-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 30 19:49:51 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

So ... there was in fact a kernel update. And I needed to manually reboot in order to get to the new kernel (2.6.28-13-generic #44 vs. #45).

Given this, I now have doubts about KSplice ... What's the purpose if I in fact still need to reboot to activate the latest kernel that I just pulled via the update manager?

That is because (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know a whole lot about this program. I'm basing this off the information on their site) you have to apply the kernel updates with the Ksplice update program. You can't use update-manager. (which is what I was getting at with the integration thing.)

nexus9k
July 6th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I'm guessing that ksplice patches your old kernel with the updates deemed necessary by "X" and that when you reboot, you are in fact rebooting with the upgraded kernel you installed through your update manager and not the kernel patched by ksplice.

SuperBaby
September 2nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
Ksplice is working fine in my Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04. There is one thing I don’t like…. every time when I boot up my netbook, some text will appear showing the loading sequence of Ksplice. It shows up after the usplash screen and the text is annoying. It seems that there is no way to turn it off.