PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade halts

Bashed
April 24th, 2008, 08:26 PM
gfxboot-theme-ubuntu is not working, cannot select Grub background
image (greyed out) in Startup Manager.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/i386/gfxboot-theme-ubuntu/download

Also, update manager halts at download step 15/24 and shows the
attached screenshot. I can browse the net fine without a problem as well.

venik212
April 24th, 2008, 08:39 PM
My upgrade (through the network, using Adept) also halted. It managed to download all the packages, but halted at:
*stopping bluetooth services
after 41% of the whole upgrading process. It claimed it was 29 minutes from finishing, but it stopped. What do I do?

venik212
April 24th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Further bad news: since it was stuck for a long time, I killed Adept, and tried to resume the update. Adept refuses to run now, telling me that another program is using the package manager (probably apt-get or aptitude). I found neither in the process list, so I am stuck-- how can I proceed?

BDNiner
April 24th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Same problem here. I have already install hardy but am trying to install startupmanager and it gets stuck trying to resolve us.archive.ubuntu.com. i have tried on 3 computers and they all get stuck and this same point. maybe later there will be less traffic to the update servers.

robbie75
April 24th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Upgraded a couple of hours ago from an ancient Dapper Drake which was very deeply customized over the years and everything went fine...

venik212
April 24th, 2008, 10:38 PM
It is getting much worse now. In desperation I created an ISO cd and tried to install from that. That one froze dealing with the bluetooth issue again.

Peter09
April 24th, 2008, 10:51 PM
First, if you are getting the 'other manager working error' this is due to a lock file thats been left from the aborting of the previous manager. Just reboot to clear it.

The servers are so busy at the moment that it is taking a long time to download things and I guess sometimes the connection is lost, which may be giving you the errors. I should wait a while before trying again.

PC

ptcbus
April 25th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Use bit-torrents. They are much much much faster. I upgraded using bit-torrents and it worked perfectly (and quickly).
See http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html

venik212
April 25th, 2008, 11:06 PM
The servers being overwhelmed certainly does not make things easier. However, there is no doubt that this OS is not ready for prime time. I have multiple failures-- USB devices are not recognized, parallel printers are ignored, even the keyborad is ignored some times!
I have installed it from a Live CD, which worked perfectly, and the installation went without a hitch, so why am I getting all this grief I do not know.
This version of Kubuntu makes Windows look really stable!