PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Setting up the network at work.

dover19
April 24th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I'm trying to install Ubuntu as a dual boot on my PC at work. I printed out a text file of ipconfig in WinXP to get all the network settings (I have static IP and if I use a different one I won't have access to the "outside world"). When I booted up the Live CD I wanted to setup the network so that I could have access to the outside for the install, but even after copying the network settings from Windows (except the host name, but that shouldn't matter right?) I still can't get out.

Any ideas?

rickyjones
April 24th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I'm trying to install Ubuntu as a dual boot on my PC at work. I printed out a text file of ipconfig in WinXP to get all the network settings (I have static IP and if I use a different one I won't have access to the "outside world"). When I booted up the Live CD I wanted to setup the network so that I could have access to the outside for the install, but even after copying the network settings from Windows (except the host name, but that shouldn't matter right?) I still can't get out.

Any ideas?

Are you sure you have all the network settings correct? IP, Subnet, Gateway, DNS? Does your network contain a proxy server?

-Richard

dover19
April 24th, 2008, 08:42 PM
IP: 10.0.0.76
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1

Ubuntu actually detects the DNS and puts in the same address XP uses.

As for the the proxy server, I checked with the Network Admin here and he says we don't have one.

rickyjones
April 24th, 2008, 08:46 PM
IP: 10.0.0.76
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1

Ubuntu actually detects the DNS and puts in the same address XP uses.

As for the the proxy server, I checked with the Network Admin here and he says we don't have one.

Can you ping the gateway?

-Richard

dover19
April 24th, 2008, 09:03 PM
lol, wow...

connect: Network is unreachable

I can't even ping my ip either.

It doesn't make a difference wether I'm setting up the Live CD or an actual installation right? They should both work just the same.

rickyjones
April 24th, 2008, 09:07 PM
lol, wow...

connect: Network is unreachable

I can't even ping my ip either.

It doesn't make a difference wether I'm setting up the Live CD or an actual installation right? They should both work just the same.

Correct, it should work either way. Is it detecting your network card correctly? I'm not sure how to check...

-Richard

prshah
April 24th, 2008, 09:08 PM
When I booted up the Live CD I wanted to setup the network so that I could have access to the outside for the install, but even after copying the network settings from Windows (except the host name, but that shouldn't matter right?) I still can't get out.

Any ideas?

Are you sure you have all the network settings correct? IP, Subnet, Gateway, DNS? Does your network contain a proxy server?

-Richard

When setting up a static IP, you need to manually setup your DNS servers in the /etc/resolv.conf file. Typically, it will just contain your router's address, or DNS addresses as suggested by your ISP.

cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.1.1

prshah
April 24th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Correct, it should work either way. Is it detecting your network card correctly? I'm not sure how to check...

-Richard

ifconfig will give us a clue. Have you tried restarting the network after setting up your IP address?
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

dover19
April 24th, 2008, 09:12 PM
When setting up a static IP, you need to manually setup your DNS servers in the /etc/resolv.conf file. Typically, it will just contain your router's address, or DNS addresses as suggested by your ISP.

Yeah but it's actually detecting the correct info. I opened up the resolv.conf file and it's the correct address. Makes no difference if I re-input it and save the file.

dover19
April 24th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Wow, restarting the network did it. I'll install it tomorrow then.

Thanks a lot, both of you!