PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Backlight Defaults To Dim - HP Pavillion DV9000

chris90uk
April 24th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Hi,

Just got a new laptop and have waited to install 8.04 on it. I am having trouble with my Atheros wireless but that is for another thread! :)

Anyway, when I turn on my laptop with the AC plugged in the screen is bright, but while the orange bar underneath the Ubuntu logo grows the screen dims. I can't change this at the login window so I have to wait until I log in. I have tried looking in the power settings but none of those have changed anything. Can anybody offer any help? Thanks so much!

phidia
May 5th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Hi,

Just got a new laptop and have waited to install 8.04 on it. I am having trouble with my Atheros wireless but that is for another thread! :)

Anyway, when I turn on my laptop with the AC plugged in the screen is bright, but while the orange bar underneath the Ubuntu logo grows the screen dims. I can't change this at the login window so I have to wait until I log in. I have tried looking in the power settings but none of those have changed anything. Can anybody offer any help? Thanks so much!

If you have the Atheros AR5007EG card just search that model here there are several guides. I realize this is a week old, and I wonder how you made out with the dimming problem.

I've installed ubuntu a few times on my HP Pavilion dv6707us, and while I can manage screen brightness while the laptop is on AC I have found that it appears some pavilions don't work well at all on battery. There are no power management settings that apply to the lcd screen in bios. When I unplug power from my laptop when booted into ubuntu the screen dims immediately and so much that it's really not usable. Unplugging the laptop in windows does not have that effect.

I have also noticed the dimming on start up mostly during an install though-hopefully there is some fix for this.
Anyone having similar issues check out the thread here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=581335).

Astinsan
July 26th, 2008, 05:58 AM
you need to install the nvidia drivers to correct it. Using the nvidia control panel. There should be a setting for all the power settings. The thing I can't figure out is the backlight staying on when it is supposed to be off (aka screen saver mode)...