PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cant get ie to run in wine or crossover

weirdfate
April 24th, 2008, 07:54 PM
ok i upgraded my ubuntu install to 8 and now cant get ie to work in either

i got the newest version of wine .60 and its installed i just cant run it
same in crossover (i would get help from codeweavers but im tryn my buddys crossover out

any one having or now how to get this to work
or how to revert back to gusty >???????

swoll1980
April 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM
you can't revert back to gutsy. try this http://www.tatanka.com.br/ if this is what you did before ignore this

weirdfate
April 24th, 2008, 08:11 PM
you can't revert back to gutsy. try this http://www.tatanka.com.br/ if this is what you did before ignore this

ya i did run that before and it was all kinds of buggy for what i need it for
damn it to hell i upgraded and now the wifes work sites wont open unless i get the ie back on here :mad:

swoll1980
April 24th, 2008, 08:21 PM
How did you install it? What version of IE

weirdfate
April 24th, 2008, 11:42 PM
How did you install it? What version of IE

with crossover i installed it from the program

with wine i downloaded the exe from microsoft and installed it that way
or tryed to use the one that is in the wine folder

i just did a reinstall of 7 and will hold off on 8 for now

PetruM
April 24th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Hmm... aren't Firefox and Opera better? :guitar:

elmer_42
April 25th, 2008, 12:09 AM
While Firefox and Opera are better than IE, I think this user wants to run a familiar browser, in his (or her) case Internet Explorer. The only help I have for you is try to use IEs4Linux or get used to Firefox. I was a big fan of IE for a while, but then I downloaded Firefox 1.5. Now they are almost at Firefox 3. Ever since I first downloaded it I have been a huge fan of Firefox, and have also converted some of my friends. It is so customizable that you could, if you so pleased, make it look and perform like IE.

PetruM
April 25th, 2008, 12:14 AM
It is so customizable that you could, if you so pleased, make it look and perform like IE.

I don't think you can make it understand CSS the weird way IE does. :D

elmer_42
April 25th, 2008, 12:18 AM
True, but I wasn't counting the bad features of IE. :p

SunnyRabbiera
April 25th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Also there are plenty of IE only websites out there.
I too am having trouble running IE via wine/crossover...
very odd

weirdfate
April 25th, 2008, 09:38 AM
dont know what they changed in this version but its almost as if the icon has no real target,just click and nothing happens at all

even with the newest version of wine .60 it still wont work and the documents say to force the repositories to up to .60 for 8 ubuntu

o well until this is solved im gona stay at 7 gusty

and yes for the people that say foxfire/opera are better i agree withyou 10fold but the wifes work sites only open in IE and user agent switcher wont work,i tried it and it shuts down at points of the sites. and A VM is just to confusing for her. She just wants to click on one thing not 4or5

Saya
April 25th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I don't think IE7 works in Wine.

weirdfate
April 25th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I don't think IE7 works in Wine.

there is a way but its less secure

and i was talking about the ubuntu vresion Not ie only running ie6 in linux
7 requires to many resources to run.

any one higher up in ubuntu devo got this or can recreate the problem to find a fix???

I would not know what to try to fix or send info to report a bug cause it doesnt realy gen an error,that i can see.

grazed
April 25th, 2008, 03:17 PM
would a change to the user agent setting fix this?

weirdfate
April 25th, 2008, 06:20 PM
would a change to the user agent setting fix this?

what changes?? as far as i could see in the settings all you could do is change the agents and create new ones. I did not go into it to deep because using ie in crossover worked fine in gusty. Did not try it in 8.04 but i upgraded my laptop so im gona have her try it on here hope there is not much different in kubuntu that will cause a big change if it works on here and i go up my main CPU to ubuntu 8