PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04

jab1
April 24th, 2008, 07:41 PM
is it ok to have applications such as firefox & pidgin open while the update is fetching for new packages?

also, while its fetching for new packages - it sometimes says 'xxxx of xxxx packages downloaded , speed, time remaining etc' and sometimes it just says ' fetching for new packages' which lets me think that its frozen or something has gone wrong..... it said the upgrade would be done in 1 hour some minutes but it took more than that and i canceled the upgrade process ...

im very new to linux, as you can see

thanks

hackle577
April 24th, 2008, 07:43 PM
is it ok to have applications such as firefox & pidgin open while the update is fetching for new packages?

Yes.

also, while its fetching for new packages - it sometimes says 'xxxx of xxxx packages downloaded , speed, time remaining etc' and sometimes it just says ' fetching for new packages' which lets me think that its frozen or something has gone wrong..... it said the upgrade would be done in 1 hour some minutes but it took more than that and i canceled the upgrade process ...

Everyone is trying to update at the same time, which is slowing the server down. Patience is key :-)

encompass
April 24th, 2008, 07:45 PM
There can be very very long delays... it's best you let it run. If you don't see any change in say 30 minutes. I would start to get worried. But onces changes start to be installed, in other words your done downloading and your installing, goodness sakes, don't cancel. It's better to let it wait a long time. And no, according to the instructions you should not be running anything.
I always try to do installs rather than upgrades, they are faster and cleaner. So if you can do that, it's much faster. Especially on older computers.

swoll1980
April 24th, 2008, 07:45 PM
it's ok to run programs during the upgrade(I do it) the problem your having is probably a server timeout the servers are getting murdered right now

ptcbus
April 25th, 2008, 01:01 AM
To circumvent the overcrowded servers use torrents. I upgraded using torrents very quickly and have listed the steps I followed here: http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html

bdcheung
April 25th, 2008, 01:07 AM
What is the best way to go from 7.10 to 8.04 while keeping all of my installed packages (mainly VMWare and Wine)?

Juffo-Wup
April 25th, 2008, 01:21 AM
You can just upgrade via update-manager. If the upgrade isn't being offered to you now, don't worry, it will be eventually.

That way, your packages and configuration files will be updated to those in Hardy's repositories and you won't have to install them from scratch. Also, you will be asked if wether you want to keep any of your old conf files that you may have edited by hand (but it would be a good idea to backup those anyway).

I did it a few days back (when it was still in RC) and it went without a hitch.

Amranu
April 25th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Yay for upgrading to the beta a few weeks ago, don't have to wait 40 hours to update.

You -should- be fine running applications while the files are downloading, as nothing is actually being done to your system.

jdrodrig
April 24th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I am having the same problem. I ironically, one full year after this posting (moving from 8.10 to 9.04)...it says, "Fetching 307 of 1602" and the upgrade has been running at least 7 hours!

I guess I will leave for work and hopefully in another 7 hours it will finish..

quinnten83
April 24th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Why would you upgrade on release day?
It's like leaving the house during a traffic jam during rush hour in a town where everybody commutes by car and then complain that traffic isn't moving!!!!
A week later, it will be the same installation and the same upgrade, just none of the congestion!!!!

jdrodrig
April 24th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Good point....

can I safely cancel the Distribution Upgrade?

Right now it is at "Fetching file 307 of 1602"

It has cleared "Preparing the upgrade" and "Setting new software channels"....

I just dont want to end up with a unusuable machine...