PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce Pidgin?

jaytek13
April 24th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Ever since they changed the name I have always pronounced it with a hard g, like gimp. Recently I've been around some other people who have just started using linux and I keep hearing them referring to something called pigeon, and I'm like what the hell are you talking about? So today I just realized they were referring to the IM client.

Is it pronounced pigeon? The way I pronounce it? Or do you have another way to say it besides these 2 examples?

Anything official about how it should be pronounced?

blithen
April 24th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Ever since they changed the name I have always pronounced it with a hard g, like gimp. Recently I've been around some other people who have just started using linux and I keep hearing them referring to something called pigeon, and I'm like what the hell are you talking about? So today I just realized they were referring to the IM client.

Is it pronounced pigeon? The way I pronounce it? Or do you have another way to say it besides these 2 examples?

Anything official about how it should be pronounced?

I've always pronounced it pigeon. Considering their icon is a pigeon. (Or at least a pigeon looking animal. >.>;)

SuperSon!c
April 24th, 2008, 07:45 PM
well considering their "mascot" is a goofy looking pidgeon, i'm going to go with the same pronunciation for "pidgin"

http://www.adiumx.com/images/pidgin.jpg

*blithen by a hair

oreo_masta
Well, the developers have said that it's based of the word pidgin (http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/PidginCommunity#WhatswiththenamePidginanyway). And according to dictionary.com it's pronounced like pidgeon (pij-uhn).

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pidgin

...I actually had a discussion about this with my brother this morning :)

dsiembab
ithought it was PID- Gin

era86
April 24th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I've always pronounced it pigeon. Considering their icon is a pigeon. (Or at least a pigeon looking animal. >.>;)

Same here. I think I'll pronounce it the other way too to see how others react.

y-lee
April 24th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I don't know how official it is but how about consulting a dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Pidgin) or the web site howjsay (http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=pidgin&submit=Submit) which will pronounce it for you :)

vishzilla
April 24th, 2008, 07:48 PM
pĭj'ən or pigion (earlier form)

Superkoop
April 24th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I pronounce Pidgin the same way I pronounce the bird pidgin.

Pii-jen

dsiembab
April 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM
i can't believe you pronounce it pidgeon when it really is pronounced "waste of computer space'

blithen
April 24th, 2008, 08:07 PM
i can't believe you pronounce it pidgeon when it really is pronounced "waste of computer space'

Bad troll is bad.

SuperSon!c
April 24th, 2008, 08:12 PM

as compared to any other IM client?

acelin
April 24th, 2008, 08:51 PM

Sort of like your post? Come on- respect people's opinions. Instead of just bashing someone offer what in your opinion is the better IM client. I am curious... :lolflag:

prolapse
April 24th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Sort of like your post? Come on- respect people's opinions. Instead of just bashing someone offer what in your opinion is the better IM client. I am curious... :lolflag:

I am curious too. I use pidgin but if theres something better i'm missing out on I wanna give it a try. :)

Twitch6000
April 24th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I am curious too. I use pidgin but if theres something better i'm missing out on I wanna give it a try. :)
I totally agree what is better then the great pidgin :).

SuperSon!c
April 24th, 2008, 09:52 PM
hook. line. and sinker.

ubuntu-freak
April 24th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I pronounce it "pidding"

Eclipse.
April 24th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I say pid gin.However its probably said like bird.

SuperSon!c
April 24th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I pronounce it "pidding"

o_O

Changturkey
April 24th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Digsby is the only other alternative I'd consider, but their Linux client is not even out yet. Btw SuperSon!c, good choice of band.

SuperSon!c
April 25th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Digsby is the only other alternative I'd consider, but their Linux client is not even out yet. Btw SuperSon!c, good choice of band.

thanks!

funny you mention Digsby. when i'm on my windows box, i've been using that exclusively. NEAT ideas they have and probably the first time i've been excited about a new IM client in ages. hopefully linux version will be out soon.

guru_florida
August 28th, 2008, 03:57 PM
My workmate and I just had this discussion about the pronunciation...I pron like the bird, and him saying pid-gin. THe proper pronunciation is like the bird...

As in....

The "Messenger Pidgin"

Haven't you all heard of the messenger pigeon.

Hahaha!

(P.s. take my arrogance in good humor. I'm not being serious.)