PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ima nub

korinzu
April 24th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Hello everyone, i finally made the switch from windows (10+ year user) to Ubuntu! I keep reading and watching Youtube videos of awesome docks, screenlets, Compiz(?)/Beryl(?), and the awesome customization of Gnome to make it look like vista. Can someone give me a breakdown on how to install all the programs i need? I havent had any luck trying these on my own. Im a HUGE nub at this so please treat me like a baby and tell me exactly what to do, thanks! ):P

korinzu
April 24th, 2008, 06:48 PM
oya and also KDE4

prshah
April 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Hello everyone, i finally made the switch from windows (10+ year user) to Ubuntu! I keep reading and watching Youtube videos of awesome docks, screenlets, Compiz(?)/Beryl(?), and the awesome customization of Gnome to make it look like vista. Can someone give me a breakdown on how to install all the programs i need? I havent had any luck trying these on my own. Im a HUGE nub at this so please treat me like a baby and tell me exactly what to do, thanks! ):P

oya and also KDE4

Compiz is a replacement product for Beryl, which could be installed separately on previous versions of ubuntu. So you can drop the "beryl" part, to reduce your confusion.

Also, compiz is enabled by default in Gnome distributions (plain "ubuntu"). Installing it on Kubuntu (KDE), and Xubuntu (XFCE) involves making a lot of changes.

If you have not gone too far, maybe you should reinstall using "ubuntu". If you have already setup your computer to your liking, you can install Compiz on KDE, post here for further (complicated) instructions.

korinzu
April 24th, 2008, 07:58 PM
So i need Kubuntu and not Ubuntu? in order to use the KDE programs and dock, as well as make the "cube" desktop switcher?:confused:

prshah
April 25th, 2008, 09:51 AM
So i need Kubuntu and not Ubuntu? in order to use the KDE programs and dock, as well as make the "cube" desktop switcher?:confused:

Once again: You can make the cube and dock and stuff on Kubuntu, but it gets complicated.

On Ubuntu, it's enabled by default, and (usually) works right out of the box. But the interface in ubuntu is different from Kubuntu. Ubuntu uses "gnome" and Kubuntu uses "KDE" (Hence the "K").

The instructions for either differ. It's easier with ubuntu. But if you like the KDE interface, or don't want to switch, then you can get instructions on how to install cube and stuff on Kubuntu, but it's complicated and involves a _lot_ of downloading.

Either way, it can be done; which would you like: tough but KDE, or simple but gnome.