PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting an inf file from a netgear driver exe

laurencemulchrone
April 24th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Hey guys.

i have read so many posts about getting inf files from exe's but i just cannot seem to do it....
i have unzip installed as well as cabextract installed.
the file is called wg111t_2_0_setup.exe and it is saved on my desktop

could anyone help me, how can i get the inf, im afraid i am still not good with the terminal, i am even unsure how to navigate to a file!

appreciate it!

dstew
April 24th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Where is the .exe file? Is it in your home directory, or on the desktop? To navigate using the command line, open a terminal window (Applications --> Accessories) and the command line should tell you what directory you are currently in. If you are unsure, you can enter the command
pwdwhich stands for "Print Working Directory", and it will tell you where you are. To change your directory, use the command cd. For example, to change to the Desktop directory, if you are in your current home directory, the command would be
cd DesktopYou can list the current directory with the ls command. To get a detailed listing, use
ls -lThere are some commonly used shortcuts. Your home directory is ~, so from anywhere you can get to your home directory with
cd ~The directory just above your current directory is .., so to go up one directory level you use
cd ..That's all there is to basic command-line navigation.

Now, if your .exe file is on the Desktop, which is just a folder in your home directory, you can get to it from anywhere with
cd ~/DesktopFile names and directory names are case-sensitive, so Desktop is different from desktop. To try to get the drivers out of the .exe file, using cabextract, enter the command
cabextract wg111t_2_0_setup.exe

prshah
April 24th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Hey guys.

the file is called wg111t_2_0_setup.exe and it is saved on my desktop

If it actually a driver zip file, you can just rename it (F2, or right click then rename) from .exe to .zip and then double click to open it, then choose extract.

However, I doubt that it is a self-extracting compressed file; all the NetGear stuff I have insist on installing the NetGear SmartWizard and even the CDs don't carry the drivers out in the open.

If you are dualbooting, you can copy the INF and related files from your Windows/INF/WG311v3 (or whatever model) folder.

Once you get the INF files, if you need any installation help, refer to my (solved) NetGear thread at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=756260&highlight=WG311v3

EDIT: Confirmed. wg111t_2_0_setup.exe this is not a compressed file that you can use cabextract on. It is a windows SmartWizard installation file. You can neither use cabextract not work with the rename it to .zip trick. So you need to get the driver files from the Windows/INF directory (folder).